Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by FNQBunyip »

Yep 200hp should punch along well Scott.

13mm here yesterday and overnight :( , just don't need it ...
Don't feel like doing killers in the rain .

Cheers
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Geez a new boat? :o Did you win Lotto scotto? :P
Another 15mm here yesterday and drizzle just about all day, the sun has come back out again today.....it seems the gaps between rain and sunshine are getting bigger, so i guess the dry season must nearly be here? :D
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

No lotto win Dean...lol
My old reef boat has so many cracks and splits in it that there's almost as much water inside as out...time she retired...might make a good artificial reef...

How nice to be back to average temps and those showers and a bit of warmth have sure kicked my vege garden along..

I wonder if that's it for cold snaps this winter...?
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Looks like its back to drizzle for the show weekend down here...but that's no surprise...

The poor bugga's at Nerada copped a hammering with the cold snap this year...https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consum ... decimated/

Did anyone hear of frost on the coastal lowlands this winter..?
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Another 7mm here of typical sunday rain....
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

G'day all
Well here we all are on the other side so to speak, a lot of us anyway.
Been having some typical brass monkey weather the last few week's here, sub 10 overnight with a spot of 6 overnight last week.
Great to see some familiar tag's here in the new refuge, will be interesting to see what happens when we get our first decent system in the next few months.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by retiredweatherman »

The Queensland coastline from Bowen to Townsville has a more west-northwest orientation than the rest,
and even westerly in the Townsville region. The prevailing east-southeast trade winds therefore blow
more parallel to the coastline over this section producing lower rainfalls - the area being known as the
Dry Tropics. A range of hills from Cape Cleveland, northeast of Townsville runs to the south of
Townsville near Majors Creek, further protecting the Townsville region from the Trades. Therefore this
area is ideal to study for monsoonal influenced summer rains, with the monsoon flow being predominately
from the northeast to north. This region is also affected by PDO,ESNO,IOD and at the southern end of
MJO influences. And all these factors whether singly or in tandem can help to influence the rainfall
totals. As well as the coastline orientation, the lack of nearby coastal ranges largely negates rainfall
being boosted by the Trade Flow. My studies have shown these summer rainfalls may also be partly
influenced by the Solar Cycle in some instances, again whether singly or in tandem with other influences
as mentioned earlier. The attached graph shows the monsoonal summer rains, generally maximized between
November and April expressed as a percentage of the average of this 6 month period against the Solar Cycle
each year in January, back to reliable record gathering in 1872. For comparison is a similar graph for Brisbane
summer rain ( Dec to Mar ). Brisbane summer rainfall is more influenced by southern patterns then Townsville
therefore the similarities are not as well defined. One interesting parallel with the two sites is the very
long time it took to cast off the influence of the Federation Drought ( Brisbane more so than Townsville )
with the summer rainfall peaks moving generally upward roughly in line with the upwards movement of the
solar peaks from the Federation Drought period up to about 1960. The 2 graphs follow.....

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Interesting post RWM , Thanks for your ongoing research and input into these threads.

Stream showers have returned giving me 14mm this morning, looks like a netfilx kind of day.

Early indication looks like Wednesday on might be fishing weather :D

Cheers
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

retiredweatherman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 pm The Queensland coastline from Bowen to Townsville has a more west-northwest orientation than the rest,
and even westerly in the Townsville region. The prevailing east-southeast trade winds therefore blow
more parallel to the coastline over this section producing lower rainfalls - the area being known as the
Dry Tropics. A range of hills from Cape Cleveland, northeast of Townsville runs to the south of
Townsville near Majors Creek, further protecting the Townsville region from the Trades. Therefore this
area is ideal to study for monsoonal influenced summer rains, with the monsoon flow being predominately
from the northeast to north. This region is also affected by PDO,ESNO,IOD and at the southern end of
MJO influences. And all these factors whether singly or in tandem can help to influence the rainfall
totals. As well as the coastline orientation, the lack of nearby coastal ranges largely negates rainfall
being boosted by the Trade Flow. My studies have shown these summer rainfalls may also be partly
influenced by the Solar Cycle in some instances, again whether singly or in tandem with other influences
as mentioned earlier. The attached graph shows the monsoonal summer rains, generally maximized between
November and April expressed as a percentage of the average of this 6 month period against the Solar Cycle
each year in January, back to reliable record gathering in 1872. For comparison is a similar graph for Brisbane
summer rain ( Dec to Mar ). Brisbane summer rainfall is more influenced by southern patterns then Townsville
therefore the similarities are not as well defined. One interesting parallel with the two sites is the very
long time it took to cast off the influence of the Federation Drought ( Brisbane more so than Townsville )
with the summer rainfall peaks moving generally upward roughly in line with the upwards movement of the
solar peaks from the Federation Drought period up to about 1960. The 2 graphs follow.....

Hi WRM

Interested on your thoughts on solar influences outside of Sun spot's as an influence upon our weather here on Earth.
Coronal Holes for example are a recently recognized phenomenon and there is also the well recognized affect of a weakening Magnetic field on both the Earth and the Sun that allows the penetration of Galactic Cosmic Ray's upon the Earths Climate.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Um, dry season? where are you? 94mm in the past 2 days? seriously?
Driving back from Innisfail yesterday and it was torrential.

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Jezzus Dean that's a good drop for August..

I had another 6mm this morning and shot a couple of pigs from standing at my rain gauge.
Still cold , think Thursday might be a fishing day , fingers crossed.

Cheers
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Yes Dean there was so much torrential rain I had to shut down my water pipe for the day to stop it filling with muddy water...

Pig plague up there too Bunyip...?

The bugga's were digging up less than 10 m from my shack last night but because of the rain I didn't hear them.....
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

3mm overnight from drizzly stuff and a gray old morning, with misty stuff coming through.
Seems the winds are dropping out , here's hoping for a couple of nice days.

Wouldn't say a plague Scott, but been getting a few each week, have not been able to run all my traps
cause it's still to wet to be driving around and checking them every day. Got 1 setup that I can see a
reflector when it gets pigs so I only need to go to it when necessary.

Cheers
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

The Pigs seem to be every where at the moment, even in places they have never been, but on the flip side what an absolute perfect day! better than the past few miserable drizzly days.....

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

13° this morning sure lets you know it's still winter, after the last few beautiful days.

Seems like the winds are back for the week.

Cheers
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

What fantastic weather!

Finally got a couple of days of fishing in. Me and a million others😂

The place is over run with tourists, understandable given it is such a beautiful spot. Cafes and resteraunts choca block. Mission is buzzing!

Back to work tomorrow, so I better the most of today.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

You are not wrong there Slipperyfish…..I dunno whats worse ….the plague of pigs or tourists....

We had a nice day yesterday down the beach but back to drizzle now...at least nights are warming up...

How did you guys go with the fishing ..?..any nice mackeral around..?...SF do you launch from the beach ramp or the Hull..?
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Been pretty normal at Chillagoe, couple warm nights a few days back, but back to cool again.
Today is completely cloudy, just grey clouds with a few murky brownish ones. Not many cloudless skies this season, not bad for a change.

Finally.....QTMR are currently working to seal the road, in two sections, so there'll only be about 7-9km of crap road to navigate after they've finished. It had become so bad that people were driving *outside* the guideposts by Christmas last year, and starting to do that again by July. We won't know ourselves when it's done.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

scott12 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 am You are not wrong there Slipperyfish…..I dunno whats worse ….the plague of pigs or tourists....

We had a nice day yesterday down the beach but back to drizzle now...at least nights are warming up...

How did you guys go with the fishing ..?..any nice mackeral around..?...SF do you launch from the beach ramp or the Hull..?
Mate straight off the beach.

Some nice trout and a couple mackeral. Wasn’t hectic and had to move around a bit, but nice day out all the same.

Today was a gem, the water was great for swimming. I even joined the old Lab for a splash. Later that day Migaloo was reported to of been seen off South Mission swimming with a dog!😳
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Migaloo, huh....lol

at least you have a bit of fresh fish SF...another month before I'll have any...

Well it looks like afterthis next high pressure system moves by we might be starting to get some dryer less windy weather...the dry season may have finally arrived...

28 it sounds like the roads are a bit of a goat track out your way..a bit like my driveway actually.. :|