Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cool end to summer with perhaps some showers: Feb 25-

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Cool end to summer with perhaps some showers: Feb 25-

Post by Hawker »

Its not normal 3.5 c this morning with ice on the vehicles.
I hope that's not a signal for the rest of the year.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Getting beyond the joke now ,it’s only about 16 degrees today in many suburbs 🥲
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

jimmyay wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 pm Getting beyond the joke now ,it’s only about 16 degrees today in many suburbs 🥲
I certainly agree! It has been far to consistent the cold weather, I understand the limitations and character of our climate down here in VIC, but this Summers cool conditions have dragged on.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

13.2 for a high, breezy and overcast for most of the day
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

jimmyay wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 pm Getting beyond the joke now ,it’s only about 16 degrees today in many suburbs 🥲
Tell me about it. My son had footy training tonight & you would think it was the season proper going by the cold breezy conditions.
It's certainly going to be a looooooong upcoming winter out here in the uneventful western boredom zone, made worse by a rather pathetic summer, both in terms of heat & storms. :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just 14.4c as a max here today and a min of 7.2c. No complaints from me, but would really like to see some decent rain. Still looking like quite a long wait ahead, with this stagnant pattern.
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

This storm season definitely fell far below my expectations this year. La Niña - even though it was a relatively weak one - just didn’t come through in the way I had hoped for central Victoria. Last summer was much more eventful in terms of storms in my area, even though it got off to an absolutely dismally hot, windy and dry start.

Here in Box Hill we had one (1!) good lightning active storm that I can recall between October 2020 and now, which is a pretty poor showing compared to an average year. A few forgettable passing rumbles and some decent rain now and then but nothing really... well, interesting. And so many rather confidently forecasted “events” that just didn’t pan out on the day, which is always a bit of a bummer no matter how much you try to dampen your expectations.

On the plus side it can only get better, and autumn has thrown up some very good storms in previous years. I’m also pleased we didn’t have any really bad heatwaves to suffer through.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Max of 12.3C here yesterday. The dry gusty southerly made it feel Arctic. Southerlies have been absolutely dominant for weeks now, and looks like that will be the case to about the end of next week. Brief period of north easterlies on the weekend. Just a really locked weather pattern. Best we can hope for is some showers, though the main action is in the Tasman Sea, with us only getting the edge.

Do wish we could get some proper rain :roll:

Current pattern reminds me of early 1992, though that year was a good deal colder. Dominant southerlies for a couple of months. These patterns are quite random, so could well be complaining about the Indian summer come April or May ;)
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

hillybilly wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:18 am Max of 12.3C here yesterday. The dry gusty southerly made it feel Arctic. Southerlies have been absolutely dominant for weeks now, and looks like that will be the case to about the end of next week. Brief period of north easterlies on the weekend. Just a really locked weather pattern. Best we can hope for is some showers, though the main action is in the Tasman Sea, with us only getting the edge.

Do wish we could get some proper rain :roll:

Current pattern reminds me of early 1992, though that year was a good deal colder. Dominant southerlies for a couple of months. These patterns are quite random, so could well be complaining about the Indian summer come April or May ;)
1992 was under the full influence of the "Pinatubo Effect". That year had a cool and dry summer but hot and dry March and cold wet May (a really good Autumn break). Our Feb Max anomaly this year was -2 degC which makes it the coldest Feb since 2011 (quite comparable temperature wise, but 2011 was extremely wet). Our coldest summer since 2010/11 as well (just marginally warmer this year).
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Silly cold here today - again! 11C right now.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

It really has been the summer for S to SE winds so annoying and over the cold alreday lol, gonna be a long 8 months for me ahead i think lol

Hopefully the next pattern is a month to 6 week indian summer lol, then it can rain cats and dogs late May to Sept lol.

Cold to cold and boring set to continue for awhile, hopefully pattern shift late March with last few bursts of heat but doubt it
Long sunny strech also be nice but ridge life and Slys continue

Yeah weather wise last summer had it all and was very wet Jan to April
One thing for sure EVERY season now so very different to the last season no 2 winters or summers or springs near the same, no season consistency anymore intresting times ahead

Sunday should be nice then another cool week next week :(

Lots of storms in NSW next week to and WA has had a unreal week lots of 50 to 100mm falls and days of storms
Bring on the heat and stroms
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

13.4C here yesterday and looks about the same today. Picked up 0.2mm from drizzle yesterday morning and a surprise 1.0mm overnight :D . Monthly total has raced up to 1.6mm.

A cool southerly today then a rather strong but moisture starved front for tomorrow. Should be quite a few showers, but won’t add up away from the usual wet spots which might sneak 5 to 10mm.

System for late on the Labor Day weekend, but again moisture starved. Synoptics for that system look good, but system just lacks moisture to work with. The constant deep southerlies are locking up the moisture over tropical Australia and Western Australia (which is having a bumper storm season :o ).
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

I can hear the Kurrawongs in the distance.. odd
I normally hear them before...lots of rain..
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Very intense drizzle here at the moment. 2.6mm so far.

Definitely the most intense drizzle I have seen for a while here. The type that finds itself in every spare gap of plants
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 pm Very intense drizzle here at the moment. 2.6mm so far.

Definitely the most intense drizzle I have seen for a while here. The type that finds itself in every spare gap of plants
Had a few bursts here, but mostly been slipping just south of me. Nearly 2mm so far since it started. Area around Belgrave South is showing about 4mm. The front is lying back through Bass Strait and will push through overnight so a bit more to come.

Hoping to wake to 5-10mm, but might just be a couple. Can be a bit hard to pick these as topography plays a substantial part.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Up to 5mm now.

'Fake' Frankston AWS down the road (Ballam Park which is nowhere near Frankston) is showing 4mm so far too.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just shy of 7mm in the gauge. That’s on the upper end of what I expected so happy. Cold day today then a nice couple of days. Labor Day ushers in another long stretch of southerlies with showers in the south. This pattern is remarkably stuck.

Guess another thread for next week...
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Nice colour on the deciduos trees around here already. If they think it's autumn already, then who am i to disagree? 🙃🙃🙃
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Tipped out 4mm
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Ho hum, as expected a big fat nothing here in the western hellhole in terms of rainfall. The only moisture here is the stuff coming out of my taps. :(

Off to the island first thing tomorrow for a few days, so at least I'll be able to enjoy some warmer weather over the weekend. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.