Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Finally a storm outbreak first week of the New Year??

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Finally a storm outbreak first week of the New Year??

Post by hillybilly »

Wet wet night around central and southern parts :)

26mm in my gauge for the period since 9am, and 63mm for the event. Flow is starting to trend a bit more easterly so expecting the focus to slowly shift west and will start to ease later. Still have thick fog with a cloud base around 200m.

Hefty falls in the Gippsland Hills, upper parts of Yarra and Central Ranges southside.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

30mm here since midnight. Quite a lot more than I was expecting, with drizzle frequently turning to heavier rain. Takes us up to 77mm for the event. Quite a lot of high falls in the region, especially south of Macedon.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

60mm for this event so far, what a great start to the year!!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

I feel quite inadequate reporting another 10mm to 9am :).

Pretty good result though, 41mm for the (extended) event and radar suggests it's not over yet.

(PS: I'm another softie - the wood fire hasn't stopped here for a few days, but to be fair its consistently 10-13C, with no sun and no chance to warm up .)
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

Gordon wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:30 am I feel quite inadequate reporting another 10mm to 9am :).

Pretty good result though, 41mm for the (extended) event and radar suggests it's not over yet.
LOL, find a dictionary, Inadequate is 0 last 24 hours and less than 5 for the whole event.! ;)
L
Luken
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Luken »

Reporting from Coongulla, on the sunny.. shores of Lake Glenmaggie. Not so sunny atm. Glad we not camping. Heavy persistent rain for last hr, on top of intermittent heavy showers overnight. Water streaming over the sodden ground. Will be very interested to see how it affects the lake level.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

10mm's in the 24 hours to 9am here and another 1.2mm's since then.
Event total now 33.2mm's good start to the year.
Got the Heater on here too, only reached 16.6c yesterday with almost no sun
and so far today only reached 14c again no sun so the house is a bit cold.
Had the heater on a few times in December as well.
Looks like warming up over the weekend and into early next week.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Another 20mm here this morning and now a touch over 97mm for the event. Seems to be easing off, mostly just drizzle now.

Another softie here too ;) The heater is on and for some of yesterday as well. I would have had the wood heater going except the drizzle blew into the wood shed and drenched the wood. No doubt it will dry out quickly with the 30+ heat next week.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Gordon wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:30 am I feel quite inadequate reporting another 10mm to 9am :).

(PS: I'm another softie - the wood fire hasn't stopped here for a few days, but to be fair its consistently 10-13C, with no sun and no chance to warm up .)
Feeling very inadequate in Mansfield. 7mm event total thanks to two storms skirting us on Sunday. Definately not in the sweet spot on any day of this event sadly. 10mm forecast for today but we'll see...

Happy to see excellent falls elsewhere though keeping large areas of the state in the fire safety zone.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Just tipped out 20.4mm for the event so far. I this SE setup, we are being rainshadowed by HB's area lol.
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Don’t understand how a house in Melbourne could be cold enough to need a heater on!

Our house currently is 21 degrees upstairs WITH windows open!

Haven’t had a heater on since October.

Downstairs no thermometer but I assume about 19.

That’s pleasant enough.

What indoor temps were people seeing recently for heaters to go on ??
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

It’s not only the temp inside,
It’s damp. Everything is damp...
Wet shoes, no clothing dried,
Although HB has been hogging the rain for years..
prior it was Karl when in Knoxfield.
but on top of the hill also under fog at times.
And the amount of litter that comes from trees it’s great to take an opportunity to get rid of lots of debris from gum trees, I would have done so myself but wasn’t prepared, thought my last fire was going to be 22/23 December..
Lots of drizzle here, lots in gauge, too lazy to look.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

dazrain wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm Don’t understand how a house in Melbourne could be cold enough to need a heater on!

Our house currently is 21 degrees upstairs WITH windows open!

Haven’t had a heater on since October.

Downstairs no thermometer but I assume about 19.

That’s pleasant enough.

What indoor temps were people seeing recently for heaters to go on ??
We are at 560m so typically about 5C colder than Melbourne. Our house would be down to around 15C now without the fire. We have been in fog non stop for about two and a half days and almost non stop drizzle. So zero solar gain :? House is pretty well specked, at just shy of 8 stars.

Next week it will feel hot, by contrast :) We use the aircon for max a few hours a year, so the elevation has advantages :)

Still steady drizzle and light rain here, with a further 6mm. Is slowing down, so might not quite get to the monthly average of 76mm. The garden is very soggy as the trees capture a lot more in these streams (compared to the gauge) a bucket I have out in a patch of trees has about 15cm in it which is rain/drizzle plus fog drip) :? .
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

dazrain wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm Don’t understand how a house in Melbourne could be cold enough to need a heater on!
Similar story to HB. We have a well insulated house, but the past two days the temp has been stuck between 12 and 14c, which is pretty much the daytime temperature in a Melbourne winter, plus with continuous fog and low cloud, there has been the barest minimum of sunlight. Just opening the back door for 10 seconds sent a stream of cold air into the house!

The drizzle has stopped here now. We added a further 8.6mm this afternoon for a total of 58.6mm since midnight and 106mm for the event. Quite a few PWSs in the area are showing even higher totals of 60+ and 70+ mm since midnight. Just inspected the garden and it is soaked to say the least, especially being on a clay base with its usual drainage challenges.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Still drizzle and fog :o Will clear or mostly clear today. Another 2mm overnight.

Just did my event sum - 63mm. I managed to to add 10mm previously somehow :D

Looking forward to some warm weather. Hopefully EC is correct and next week brings heat, humidity and storms.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Event total - 4mm (for 15 min on Saturday afternoon). It's very dry here. In fact our 6 month rainfall (July-Dec 2020) was in the 3rd decile. Hopeless for a so-called La-Nina.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Another 4mm to 9am pushes us close to 50mm. A real split in the haves and have nots for this one - very frustrating for those who missed out and hope they make it up with the next event.

Generally, La Ninas are a mixed bag for us, and sometimes we are just too far west to benefit. A negative IOD is what we really want. Still, this one is playing out okay, pushing us just a little above average, though nothing like the huge falls on the 'true' east coast; or even just east of Melbourne.

Incidentally, bloody cold here this morning - still only 8C at 10am - all wood fire guilt is gone :).
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:01 am Another 4mm to 9am pushes us close to 50mm. A real split in the haves and have nots for this one - very frustrating for those who missed out and hope they make it up with the next event.

Generally, La Ninas are a mixed bag for us, and sometimes we are just too far west to benefit. A negative IOD is what we really want. Still, this one is playing out okay, pushing us just a little above average, though nothing like the huge falls on the 'true' east coast; or even just east of Melbourne.

Incidentally, bloody cold here this morning - still only 8C at 10am - all wood fire guilt is gone :).
IOD looks to go +ve in Autumn, but tending towards -ve in Winter 2021 which could be good for us in the colder months. 18c and sunny here atm, although the Southerlies have been rather gusty. It's going to be 35c+ for several days in a row coming up.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Hit the road, confused with weather & temps 7.30am
What to wear, FTG to Horsham
So much green under paddocks of slashed hay.
Dadswell Bridge had lots of water laying in big areas .
Grey and drizzle to half way.
Got our Job done @Nurrabiel under lots of wind
Thank Garwd for no heat extreme with this wind.
I’m sure the locals are veryyyyyy happy with this summer after their 47c previous.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Around 5mm here overnight. Another grey day, although the sun popped out briefly a few times. Now back to drizzle, but it’s very light so I doubt it will add up to much. Looks to be warming up a bit tomorrow, and especially from Friday, and then maybe some rain (or storms) later next week if models are to be believed this far out.