Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Warm to hot followed by a strong cold front: Nov 2-5

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Warm to hot followed by a strong cold front: Nov 2-5

Post by hillybilly »

Typical spring weather with a sharp heat up followed by a strong front. Into the 30s for many parts on Tuesday, followed by a drop of more than 10C for later Wednesday. Should see some snow on the alps.

Unfortunately system is moisture starved so while it is a strong front, rain will be pretty hit and miss. Could be ok for east central and the ranges, but not a lot elsewhere. Looking at the uppers could see some coldies near the coast so a bit of small and even a rumble possible.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Warm to hot followed by a strong cold front: Nov 2-5

Post by hillybilly »

25C here at the top of the Nongs. First hot day for spring, which highlights summer is only a few weeks away.

Tomorrow will be a couple of degrees hotter.

Front for Wednesday is standing up and slowing down, so looking colder and wetter. Not big falls, but should water the gardens a bit after this warmth.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

It was a beautiful day, I love this weather 28-30c and no blasting wind is just perfect to me.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

26c here today - a tad too warm for me! It probably felt hotter after being acclimatised to the recent cold weather.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

How long till winter? 🥵
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

31c max just now, I love this weather!! BBQ this evening on the new patio.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Adam38 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:45 pm 31c max just now, I love this weather!! BBQ this evening on the new patio.
26C here with a BBQ also :) Kids were in and out of the pool most the day. It’s heated up quickly with the sun, and has been touching 27C this arvo.

City’s 30.4C is the hottest cup day since 1969, so quite warm for the first week of November.

Warm night ahead of a front around noon. Should be showers with and following the front, mainly southern areas and eastern ranges. Might squeeze 10mm out here if we are lucky. Bit of snow in the alps.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A toasty 32c here today. We won't get rain tomorrow or over the weekend, but some forecast models are hinting at an incursion of tropical moisture this time next week. One to watch.

Incidentally, La Nina has really got cranking in the Pacific Ocean. Some crazy cold sea surface temps emerging in the Central Pacific Ocean. It's going to be a bonkers summer I suspect. The atmosphere hasn't responded much yet, but when it does it could get very interesting...
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

StratoBendigo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 pm Incidentally, La Nina has really got cranking in the Pacific Ocean. Some crazy cold sea surface temps emerging in the Central Pacific Ocean. It's going to be a bonkers summer I suspect. The atmosphere hasn't responded much yet, but when it does it could get very interesting...
That's the big question when will the atmosphere respond?
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Hawker wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:51 pm
StratoBendigo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 pm Incidentally, La Nina has really got cranking in the Pacific Ocean. Some crazy cold sea surface temps emerging in the Central Pacific Ocean. It's going to be a bonkers summer I suspect. The atmosphere hasn't responded much yet, but when it does it could get very interesting...
That's the big question when will the atmosphere respond?
It already is, but the pressure systems are diverting much of the moisture into southeast asia, hence that massive cyclone in the Philippines. It starts looking better by the end of the week, but the inflows of wind, thus moisture still aren't that strong. However, there's a lot of warm water about, so we'll see moisture building over the continent regardless.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Really warm night up here with a min of 20C. Not record breaking, but certainly up there.

Change through Melbourne about noon. Showers will thicken up on the change. Out east storms will fire, mainly over NSW.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Another rather pathetic cold front, not even enough to register half a mm here. :roll:

Time to dust off the sprinkler & hoses with virtually no rain on the horizon.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Was thinking this was all going to be over by about 2pm looking at the radar, but in rolled the fog and we’ve had heavy drizzle most the arvo. Not showing up well on radar, but passed 9mm and still falling. Tanks back to full and garden watered again.

Drops away quickly off the mountain with 4mm 5km to our west and 2mm 10km west. Good to keep the total ticking over during a bit of a lull in the progs.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

5mm here. We only had about 1mm with the front then heavy drizzle and fog set in here as well. Might be a bit more to come looking at the radar. Nice to have the cool weather back!
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

snowfall wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm 5mm here. We only had about 1mm with the front then heavy drizzle and fog set in here as well. Might be a bit more to come looking at the radar. Nice to have the cool weather back!
I miss the warmth haha!

I love bright sunny days with beach warmth and little wind. Melbourne looks stunning on those days, with the gardens all still green and the skyscrapers glistening. Having said that though, I would prefer a cloudy, 10c day over anything north of 37.

Starting to look interesting in 7 days time. Heat, low pressure and a deeply embedded trough. Probably southern vic's best chance for storms in a long while. Fingers crossed it holds
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Score a few heavy coldies overnight and this morning. Was close to hail a couple of times. Closing in on 15mm, which is a good result for such a moisture starved system. More good falls to our north, with NSW setting up for a much better spring.

Decent snowfalls on the alps, particular in NSW where the moisture and cold air better coincided.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Icy 3C here to start the day, and still a biting 7c with a few spits. A far cry from earlier in the week!

2.5mm to 9am.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Wed still holding. Problem is, it looks like a morning event, which limits storm potential. Would like to see it shift towards the afternoon. Of course, we're still a week out, which means it could disappear all together, but the potential remains.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Another 4mm overnight and this morning to give 9mm for this system. Only reached 12c here today and currently 8c, so quite a change from 28c earlier in the week.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Sean wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:37 pm
snowfall wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm 5mm here. We only had about 1mm with the front then heavy drizzle and fog set in here as well. Might be a bit more to come looking at the radar. Nice to have the cool weather back!
I miss the warmth haha!

I love bright sunny days with beach warmth and little wind.
I can definitely agree on the wind 😊