Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

another 1 or 2 lows tracking SE over Vic 22 Oct - ?

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: another 1 or 2 lows tracking SE over Vic 22 Oct - ?

Post by Didjman »

I just checked the Satloop. The 2 major cloud bands up through NSW / QLD are tracking south fairly quickly. I don't expect to see the huge storms currently up there, but hopefully, some H2O :D
w
wobbie
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by wobbie »

Very nice blob on the radar north of Adelaide currently. That'd be nice down here. We're getting very light rain that has dried up on the pavement a couple of times. Still hopeful for an average amount. And the satellite images do look impressive
Last edited by wobbie on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:28 pm Ben like your page.. will enjoy watching the numbers go up - thanks for sharing.
Thanks Shell
Adam38 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:47 am I’ve finally got a weather station set up and connected to the weather underground app, now just waiting for some weather lol...
Mines also connected to Weather Underground...
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMELBO1827

The main page is here: https://tempestwx.com/station/29972 (since it has a lightning sensor on it too!)

It's brand new too as I only set it up almost 2 weeks ago.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A big hole in the cloudband now North of Mildura. That's the split so GFS is correct and we might just get a mm or two. Goodnight!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

wobbie wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:35 pm Very nice blob on the radar north of Adelaide currently. That'd be nice down here. We're getting very light rain that has dried up on the pavement a couple of times. Still hopeful for an average amount. And the satellite images do look impressive
Some big falls on the backside of the Flinders. Spot fall must be near 100mm, so something like three months worth of rain. Probably not ideal with crops in that region.

Starting to get convective around central. Atmosphere is distabilising a bit as the uppers cool and moisture stream in at the low levels. Just over a mm so far here for about three hours of rain :? Radar looks like it could thicken up quickly.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Be nice to see the lightning over the Bay
Just too late and anything is on the cards tonight :o
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

If this fails, it will make it 5 or 6 events in a row that have overestimated totals.

Good to tick along, but it further deteriorates my confidence in models.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

indeed, i didnt water any of the pots or vegies yesterday or today because of the hype around rainfall...you know what, they are still limp awaiting that rain!, if it fails to deliver tonight I will also never listen to forecasts or models again because I also put off plans for the weekend because it was likely to be flooding, so still waiting and watching to see what happens!
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A fast fading rainband out West, a storm in Mildura, and that's about it.

Most of the action is over the border.

Still on zero mm. BOM are getting a belting on social media. But it's a tricky and evasive type of system.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Managed a couple of mm.

A slow moving blob is up near Swan Hill. But I suspect the dry air in the incoming cold front will push it East soon or obliterate it. Or maybe trigger something?
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

28mm and persisting down :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

17mm here so far. It'll do i guess. :)

Still raining so should get another 3 to 4 mils
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Must admit I had gone off this one yesterday going by the radar, satellite and model update but it has delivered. 30mm so far and pouring out there. Thick rain (as some of us call it in the Nongs), with lots of drops. Garden is back to a lake flowing towards the bay (we are on a big hill with volcanic soils but currently wet enough for water to flow over the yard).

Big local rainfall gradients as the band has been nearly stationary last few hours with only 2-5mm on the edge of the Dandenongs/Yarra Valley. Top falls in the 30-35mm range in the southern Dandenongs which always does well in unstable NWly sterering.

MTD is now just over 140mm, YTD 1400mm+ (will add up properly shortly). Both above average :D

EC suggests we could get another 20mm or so before it clears. Radar supports that.

I didn’t hear any rumbles, but radar had quite a few convective elements :?:

Btw hasn’t got a mention but there is a sharp upper trough that will push in for tomorrow which will give us some very cold air in the low levels. Should see some snow about Baw Baw and Lake Mt and a very cold max for almost November in Melbourne. This ends up trapped north of the high and gives us days of convection in the week ahead so system doesn’t really clear out :D
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

8mm here so far and has stopped.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

In a state of shock here. :o

Just tipped 32mm out of my gauge although the nearest two Melbourne Water sites (Deer Park & St Albans) are reporting 25-26mm. Think my ornamental tree might be starting to interfere with things with it's canopy growth. Time to move the gauge I think.

We have FINALLY broken through with this one. Water everywhere, excellent result. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

5mm in gauge. Maybe just a couple more mm with back edge of front.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

35mm in both gauges with some more still to come.

Can I be a social media lounge expert and say BOM you under did it? As a old timer weather watcher rather than expert I have adopted the "it is not over till the last drop falls" hence last night when it looked like under producing but dawn showed it pays to wait. :P
Water flowing across back lawn, fish pond will need height reduction when the rain has stopped.
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Skywalker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:00 am In a state of shock here. :o

Just tipped 32mm out of my gauge although the nearest two Melbourne Water sites (Deer Park & St Albans) are reporting 25-26mm. Think my ornamental tree might be starting to interfere with things with it's canopy growth. Time to move the gauge I think.

We have FINALLY broken through with this one. Water everywhere, excellent result. :D
I was right.

You will need medication after all - but for shock this time not disappointment.

Will the edge of this band dump hard on Melbourne as it crosses the bay?
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Onetahuti wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:17 am 35mm in both gauges with some more still to come.

Can I be a social media lounge expert and say BOM you under did it? As a old timer weather watcher rather than expert I have adopted the "it is not over till the last drop falls" hence last night when it looked like under producing but dawn showed it pays to wait. :P
Water flowing across back lawn, fish pond will need height reduction when the rain has stopped.
It depends where one lives. They overestimated for the Northern Country, but underestimated Melbourne.

The tail is wagging a bit here. Could be an hour or so of moderate rain looking at the radar.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Well it looks like rain, it feels like rain too but me AWS tells me we have had 0.3mm of rain. Oh, and a spider is living in my rain gauge. May have to get a manual gauge I think.