Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Windy with a late change: September 2-7

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Windy with a late change: September 2-7

Post by hillybilly »

Had a stick in my rain gauge. Pulled it out a triggered a 0.4mm fall of mud :D

Further trace today. Windy and mild.

Near miss on the early season heat record in Sydney with 30.5C. Hot air ain’t far away :o

Another windy one tomorrow but not dangerously so.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Windy with a late change: September 2-3

Post by snowfall »

Had a brief shower this afternoon, but not enough to register in the gauge. 15.8c today. Wind has calmed down this evening. Fingers crossed something decent comes along later in the month because it’s looking pretty dry for a while ahead.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

I am not minding the dryer weather right now. Massive tarps the only thing keeping the rain out of what's left of my home. It could be up to six months before we can move back. Much of our possessions still under rubble.

There is not a single gum tree left standing that can now fall on our house. So in the future we won't need to worry about strong winds.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

flyfisher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm I am not minding the dryer weather right now. Massive tarps the only thing keeping the rain out of what's left of my home. It could be up to six months before we can move back. Much of our possessions still under rubble.

There is not a single gum tree left standing that can now fall on our house. So in the future we won't need to worry about strong winds.
Oh no. That’s terrible to hear. There were so many trees down. Going to be a rebuild? Or knockdown? Such a crap winter/spring for so Victorians atm.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Mild windy one today. Showers early tomorrow. This cycle keeps repeating. Monday looks really warm. Melbourne low to mid 20s, and Mallee likely to see 30s. Don’t think we will get records, but could get quite closer to early season ones.

I’ve added dates to the thread as we are in the repeating cycle of weak fronts.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

flyfisher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm I am not minding the dryer weather right now. Massive tarps the only thing keeping the rain out of what's left of my home. It could be up to six months before we can move back. Much of our possessions still under rubble.

Unreal Flyfisher! Very sorry to hear that.

This has to have been one of the worst storms in terms of property damage, power outage and loss of life to hit Victoria in years :(. Does anyone know what the highest wind speed recorded was? The destruction shown on some of the drone footage, with trees down like matchsticks, was almost what you would expect to see after a Queensland cyclone.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

An underwhelming 1.5 mm in the gauge this morning to kick off September.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

That's terrible news flyfisher. It really seemed to have come out of nowhere. Hope the recovery goes all OK.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Yeah was a crazy strom and terrible damage for many I hope the recovery is quicker than that flyfisher.

156km/h at the Prom and 115km/h at St Kilda with that front, likley gusts over 100km/h in the hills but no obserations out there.

Yeah true reading this does sound like a drought but if we step back much of southern Vic and Gippy has done VERY WELL rain wise this year so few dry weeks even month wont hurt at all.
Just hope it does hurt norther Vic and all the crops to much if get a big rain late Sept should be fine

Loving the flip to spring right on time and not just a few spikes days
Warm, dry, windy, dusty, weak fronts and mud rain for next week or 2.

Car is filthy after showers the other night.
Bring on the heat and stroms
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Sorry to hear Flyfisher..
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Looking at GFS, something might be brewing for next weekend and beyond...
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

I am right near the McNicole Road weather station, so it might have recorded the gust. However one side of the valley was devastated but the other was not. That drone footage was over the houses in my street. I was on the ABC news on the Friday night they interviewed me and took footage of both outside and inside the house. If the kids were in bed they would not have survived as their rooms are flattened. The walls were punched through the floor, we were inside at the time at it was terrifying.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

2.6mm is the gauge this morning. Nice arvo, and looks very mild next few days now. Not seeing anything until this time next week which could well be thundery. Too far out to get excited about it yet.

Might sneak a shower Tuesday morning.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Magic spring day today so nice, modest winds, glorious sunshine and near 20c so nice in the sun too

Even warmer tomorrow temps in the low to mid 20s and Very Windy.

Another dryish front Tuesday then better chances next weekend for rain but lots of model waltzing as is very typical of spring

Loving this mild run atm straight into spring right on time with the calander lol

Hoping the inland dont dry out to much in the coming 2 weeks and crops go alright, almost week of 25-30c in the NW this coming week warm.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Next weekend has real potential for some of Vic. Could be very useful rain of it happens.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Nice day yesterday, and starting to feel warm in the sun. Our pool roof top thermometer hit 47C and starting to get the pool warmer than it’s mid winter trough. Be only two weeks before it is swimmable if I can get rid of the green :D

Another really warm one today. Could get close to early season records out west, and Adelaide’s forecast 31C is apparently a record though I haven’t looked closely so might not be (such things are often said, but not always correct ;) ).

Very mild night tonight, though expect the 9am today will stop a particularly warm 24 minimum. Shower tomorrow, maybe.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

All the forecast models have dialed back their rain potential for the coming weekend. The rest of Sept doesn't look great either. Very mediocre for La Nina and -ve IOD.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Looks like we are stuck in this horrid pattern for the foreseeable future. Dry windy garbage with virtually no rain. :(

Magpie swooping season is in full swing too just to add to the already disgusting conditions on the bike. :cussing:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Warm and windy out there that sunshine is so nice and warming up to the mid 20s even better today.

Yeah this El Nino like pattern looks to continue for the coming weeks warm, windy, dry fronts with only light falls.
Some will get some ok rain on the weekend but models still jumping all over which is typical of spring.

Hoping and thinking the big pattern flip will be in October sometime
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

I’m not expecting any La Niña influence until the monsoon trough starts edging towards Australia. It’s at that point we’ll start seeing some of that tropical moisture we’re waiting for.