Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Deep slow moving low with rain, snow, gales and storm surge: August 17-24

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Re: Deep slow moving low with rain, snow, gales and storm surge: August 17-24

Post by Skywalker »

A big fat zero here! :x

Fingers crossed tomorrow delivers.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A couple of mm late this afternoon and a few passing showers. Much colder now and only 8 degC.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

A heavy shower and 2mm here about an hour ago. There is a fair bit of activity on the radar in central areas at the moment, but it's a bit hit and miss.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

snowfall wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:46 pm A heavy shower and 2mm here about an hour ago. There is a fair bit of activity on the radar in central areas at the moment, but it's a bit hit and miss.
Very much a miss here
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Some really heavy periods of rain here today and a doozy of a hailstorm with thunder. Nice sunny breaks as well.
13mm and a 7.7C max.
4.8C now.
Hope to see some snow over the next few days.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

10mm so far this week. MTD of 51 mm.

Maybe another 5-10mm this coming week. Pretty average for August.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Have a terrible feeling the Caroline Springs shield will be in full force today & we get bugger all. Hope I'm wrong!
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

StratoBendigo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 am 10mm so far this week. MTD of 51 mm.

Doing better than us! 4mm overnight makes 46mm mtd. Expecting a fair bit more this week though.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:58 am
StratoBendigo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 am 10mm so far this week. MTD of 51 mm.

Doing better than us! 4mm overnight makes 46mm mtd. Expecting a fair bit more this week though.
Yep, when the wind goes SWly, you should get heaps. Incidentally, there's a Low spinning up in Western Vic atm. Looks interesting on Radar.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

2.6mm of rain in the gauge this morning. Quite a horrible day to be honest - hasn't stopped raining fat drops since about 7am with blustery winds, but fairly light falls so not exactly exciting the scorer :D Had another 1.4mm since 9am.

Today's looks quite miserable, and expecting we should see another 10-20mm by this time tomorrow up here.

BTW check out your barometers. Pressures have gone below 990hPa. Doesn't happen too open. So far the lowest I've seen here is 988 :o The August record for Moorabbin which has a good long record is 985.8 hPa so not far of record low values.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

2.4mm here overnight, makes 4.8mm for the past 24 hours. We're only on 43.6mm for the month, despite it raining most days. We've been getting rain shadowed this morning, which might be a bit of a feature for much of today here.

I'm kind of torn on rainfall at the moment. I would love to at least reach average or above for the month, but the ground around here is absolutely drenched and some plants and smaller trees are suffering from too much water. My feet just sink into the muddy, swampy ground out the back and this week I noticed grass in a few spots has been turning yellow due to waterlogging. Clay soil is the main culprit! Plus, we're only about 50mm away from our annual average.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

hillybilly wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:57 am BTW check out your barometers. Pressures have gone below 990hPa. Doesn't happen too open. So far the lowest I've seen here is 988 :o The August record for Moorabbin which has a good long record is 985.8 hPa so not far of record low values.
Noticed the pressure this morning as well. It's currently 991 hPa here (adjusted for sea level), which is the lowest so far.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

snowfall wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 am 2.4mm here overnight, makes 4.8mm for the past 24 hours. We're only on 43.6mm for the month, despite it raining most days. We've been getting rain shadowed this morning, which might be a bit of a feature for much of today here.

I'm kind of torn on rainfall at the moment. I would love to at least reach average or above for the month, but the ground around here is absolutely drenched and some plants and smaller trees are suffering from too much water. My feet just sink into the muddy, swampy ground out the back and this week I noticed grass in a few spots has been turning yellow due to waterlogging. Clay soil is the main culprit! Plus, we're only about 50mm away from our annual average.
The soil around here isn't muddy, it's still soaking it in after a dry July. It was muddy in late-May/early June, but not now. Not a heap of run-off into the big dams around here either with Eppalock at just 40%. YTD we are tracking ok: 400mm (compared with annual mean of 550mm).
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

snowfall wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 am
hillybilly wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:57 am BTW check out your barometers. Pressures have gone below 990hPa. Doesn't happen too open. So far the lowest I've seen here is 988 :o The August record for Moorabbin which has a good long record is 985.8 hPa so not far of record low values.
Noticed the pressure this morning as well. It's currently 991 hPa here (adjusted for sea level), which is the lowest so far.
990.1 here atm
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

StratoBendigo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:08 am
snowfall wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 am 2.4mm here overnight, makes 4.8mm for the past 24 hours. We're only on 43.6mm for the month, despite it raining most days. We've been getting rain shadowed this morning, which might be a bit of a feature for much of today here.

The soil around here isn't muddy, it's still soaking it in after a dry July. It was muddy in late-May/early June, but not now. Not a heap of run-off into the big dams around here either with Eppalock at just 40%. YTD we are tracking ok: 400mm (compared with annual mean of 550mm).
Must have still had a reasonable amount of evaporation from wind and sun during July. That might all change in your area during spring if we do end up with a negative IOD, plus the likelihood of at least a weak La Nina.

Here, it took a good couple of months with the heavy rain earlier in the year to fully saturate the soil and now it just can't cope. At the moment, even when we get 1 or 2 mm of rain, giant puddles form and sit for a good couple of days without any further rain. Definitely primed for some flash flooding!
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Oh wow -just checked, 989.0 here. It looked to be clearing up briefly about an hour ago here, was thinking of heading out for the allowed one hour of exercise, but the rain is starting to settle in here.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

989.8 here atm. Wow at the probable upcoming winds!

PS: 989.6 and dropping.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

3mm's of rain up to 9am and another 5.4mm's since then.
Ballarat Airport only recorded 0.2mm's up to 9am and none since then.
But don't take any notice of their Rainfall readings at the moment.
Rang up the BOM about it, they advised it is an older gauge and was due
to be replaced in February but due to the virus it hasnt been.
Also because of the restrictions no one can go there to check it out.
Explains why they have only recorded 17.2mm's there this month while I
have recorded 41mm's.
Persistent showers so far today is keeping the temperature low as well.
Only got down to 6.2c overnight so quite mild but the high so far on my PWS is 8.2c at
11.33am . Currently its 7.6c.
Bar here is currently 991.1 on my PWS but was down to 989.3 at 6am
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Aargh! I hate it when long term sites are basically invalidated by the AWS going down. Mt William, Mt Hotham and now this :(.

Anyway, on a brighter note, some impressively low barometers around! (Mine is too dodgy to report on.) Rain and showers continuing here, looks like another 4mm or so in the Nylex.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:05 pm Anyway, on a brighter note, some impressively low barometers around! (Mine is too dodgy to report on.) Rain and showers continuing here, looks like another 4mm or so in the Nylex.
My min was 989.5! Lowest I have ever recorded.