Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Warm to hot with a change: March 17-20

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Warm to hot with a change: March 17-20

Post by hillybilly »

Thread to fill in the gaps in a bit of a weather lull. Going to be warm to hot, and become quite windy as a front approaches around Thursday. Some showers, but looks quite sparse. Perhaps something more significant next week.

Guess this warm weather is good for social distancing :( (this COVID-19 is deadly serious :( yep off topic but please listen to the scientists on this one as what is coming out of Europe and Iran is shocking).
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Warm to hot with a change: March 17-20

Post by Sean »

Seeing a shift towards higher pressure now unfortunately. Hopefully it shifts back, but it's looking quite boring for the time being.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Having the roof replaced the week of 30th of March so I desperately need fine weather that week. Of course as long as the contractors remain healthy and can actually do the job. Starting to dry out and I noticed some burn off activity recently. It's a wonder how they can ignite a very green bush currently.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Rain has started here after a top of 28C. Hope it's enough to clean the air out a bit; my hayfever is shocking... at least I hope it's hayfever :?
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Almost hit here today with a max of 27C. Would have been a nice day we’re it not for the wind and wall to wall COVID gloom :(

Had 0.4mm here so far. Storms look ok out towards the Otways so might sneak a bit. Is starting to dry out a bit atm.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Big boom of thunder and very quick mm. All fast moving :(
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

one rumble wonder....i thought we would have got more but it seemed to be too fast moving...
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas rain overnight: Mt Barrow 29mm, Mt Arthur 25mm, Low Head 23mm, Devonport 19mm, Scottsdale 19mm, Wynyrad 16 mm, Launceston 15mm, Hobart 5.6mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

3.4mm in the gauge this morning and another 0.8mm in the gauge this evening. Quite cold out there now with some fog.

How are people coping? Gone awfully quiet :(
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Feeling better now, the last few days has been very confronting and was getting me quite depressed... went grocery shopping this morning and things were a lot calmer and shelves were stocked. All my family live in Perth so I’m really missing them right now!!
Hopefully we have some interesting weather coming up to keep us occupied ⛈☔️🌞
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Was hoping for some rumbles Thursday night but quickly became obvious it was all further south. The anticyclonic gloom is pretty apt at the moment. We need some sun :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

1.5mm in unexpected drizzle overnight. Cloud is burning off now and looks like a lovely autumn day coming up! :).
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 pm
How are people coping? Gone awfully quiet :(
Going well so far... living in the country, no obvious negative impacts yet beyond cancellation of our son's sport. Business is holding together with cancellations roughly matching new bookings; could go either way moving forward but I'm inclined to play that as it comes. Given the near future is impossible to predict or plan for atm (other than following CMO advice of course), I'm adopting the approach of not worrying about what might or might not happen - will deal with things as they present. :)
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Just 0.6mm on Thursday night, nothing since. Today cloudy and dull.

Life has turned very quiet this week. The nursing home partner is in went to lockdown with 4 hours notice on Tuesday, who knows when that will be lifted, will be a miracle if all is over in less than 6 months. Thankfully I thought of using Skype to 'stay together', she has never used a computer in any way. I got internet capability with the new tablet I got last year, so with about 30 minutes tutoring before lockdown plus a couple of pointers from staff since she is able to use it well.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

A little drizzle overnight but things are getting dusty dry. We do need a good drop of rain. NBN is scheduled here for the 1st of May, I am hoping it stays on target because we are going to need that in the coming months. My 3mbps currently just does not cut it.
M
Macca2395
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Macca2395 »

Stunning day! A G&T and good book on the back deck.. bliss. Perhaps a walk up Mt Macedon later on too. There are literally no excuses not to be doing this right now! :D

Please stay safe everyone. These are extraordinary times.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Down at Walkerville for a day, getting ready for a lock down. Woke to heavy drizzle. Forgot to empty the gauge but looks like about 4mm so far. Should push up to Melbourne in the coming hours.

Btw what networks are people using for support? I’m finding many of my friends are getting snappy and weirded out with stress. Is there value in a thread to share thoughts in the Lounge?
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:31 am Btw what networks are people using for support? I’m finding many of my friends are getting snappy and weirded out with stress. Is there value in a thread to share thoughts in the Lounge?
Can't do any harm, and will save weather threads from being (understandably) sidetracked.

It continues to all be a bit surreal here; I said to a friend yesterday that if I didn't have access to media, I wouldn't know anything was wrong - though once or twice in the local supermarkets, I may have wondered about peoples' sudden fascination with toilet paper :). Expect that separation from the impacts will change soon; just taking a little longer to reach here!

Meanwhile, a beautiful day yesterday and cold and drizzly today with a bit over 1mm so far. Some real weather to distract us would be nice; maybe something showing up towards the end of the month? We could probably do with a new thread with fresh dates?
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

3.6mm here today. Has been quite a while now since we had a good fall of rain. Thankfully March started with some big rain so everything is still green, and it really does feel that summer is over. In fact, we’re on track for another cooler than average month here.

Incredible times right now, so maybe it’s good that people are not also dealing with extreme weather at the moment.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Back in Ferny Creek under quarantine thanks to a virus. 4mm in the gauge for the last 24 hours.

Down at Walkerville we got a stream of heavy showers. Just shy of 20mm in the gauge. That spot down there has a pretty odd microclimate at times. Driving around, has got noticeably drier in the past few weeks.

Not really seeing much in the progs atm :(