Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Warm then more rain - 13th-26th Jan 2020

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Warm then more rain - 13th-26th Jan 2020

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39 pm
Gordon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 am I would be fascinated to hear from the experts how the red rain persisted for so long? It was a first in my 25 years here; in fact I can't recall it ever in my lifetime. Occasionally, we get a few red drops as a front moves through over a dusty atmosphere, but to have hours of red rain behind the front, exceeding 20mm worth? Trying to work out how that is possible? And in southern Vic at least, it may be unprecedented?
Never seen anything like it before. Seeing the photos of a red/brown Yarra is astonishing. I’ve seen plenty of dusty rain events with a few mms max, but nothing like it. Dreading seeing our pool when we get home, as these dirty rain events are like sprinkling fertiliser on the pool, so water goes brown, then cloudy the wants to turn green :? Usually takes a few days to get it clean. Hopefully most settled on the pool blanket.

Gut feeling is that the combination of an intense drought (record bad in parts of inland Oz), and intense winter like synoptic system, and a big stratiform rain event with a large area of upslide is so unusual that it would just about never happen.
Thanks, interesting analysis. In my simplistic way, I assumed that decent, constant rain would soon 'wash' the dust out of the atmosphere, but there must have been a prolonged dust 'feed'.

Turned out that rain even made some local lakes red briefly before the wind got up. Just extraordinary.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Chilly one this morning in the Nongs with 8C. Now comes a slow long warming trend. Pretty likely to top out near 40C this time next week ahead of another tropical infeed :?: New thread time :D
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 am Chilly one this morning in the Nongs with 8C. Now comes a slow long warming trend. Pretty likely to top out near 40C this time next week ahead of another tropical infeed :?: New thread time :D
Yes, a chilly 7c start here. It feels like Autumn this morning.

Exhibit A of the rainfall variability in the past week: http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/awap/rain/ind ... ek&area=vc

Some very hot temps possible this time next week. But potential for a decent bit of rain afterwards.
chasersaddict76
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chasersaddict76 »

Yep only 3mm from upper low and 3mm from dust rain for South Kangaroo Flat and Total for January is 25mm better than 2019 of 6mm

Feels like cold head this morning of 7.4c.

Heatwave is looming next weekend , hard say how many days.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

1.5mm to 9am, bringing our mtd to 78.5mm. A mate out past Burrumbeet is over 200mm mtd :o!

Anyway, that's this big thread about done and dusted - and what a thread! Certainly time for the next one.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Back home in FC after a pretty wintery week at the beach. Scored one and a half beach days during the week. Bit unlucky as the week before and the week after look rather summery :(

Found 51mm in the manual gauge for the week. My AWS got blocked by a leaf mid event so have to take the manual recording. Three hours of cleaning the mud yesterday with everything caked and a pool which was filth. Spa was so dirty I had to dump the water (it got extra from runoff from the pavers).

Our MTD is 183mm and our local BoM AWS is on 181mm. Season to date is 200mm, so only need 40mm to crack average which we could get with the next system.

Some spots locally have cracked 200mm and could well be the odd location which has cracked 250mm with three very intense events which threw up tight gradients. The lowest locally would be around 120mm. Fantastic to get a nice wet mid summer (with lotsa rumbles).