Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - More heat and then some rain? - January 2nd to 5th 2020

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - More heat and then some rain? - January 2nd to 5th 2020

Post by Didjman »

7mm in Wallan yesterday, with another 8mm overnight. I'll take it!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Fantastic .10mm overnight. That’s about 18mm for the event. Can I crack 20mm or 25mm please ;) just something satisfying about a round number :D Have doubled my summer total.

Shared around pretty well, except the southwest/west which is pretty typical for summer where the topography and coastline just don’t favour those areas. Far northeast also missed out :(

Rain moving into the fire grounds again, so fingers crossed it rains all day out east.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

16mm for the event up until now. So happy :)
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Smoke back with a vengeance here. Thicker than Friday. Smells a little like when you put out a fire with water. Disgusting day by the looks of it.

10mm of welcome rain for to event 🙂
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Smoky here too. We only got 5mm, but it's welcome regardless. Currently 12c and it feels real cold. So in 5 weeks we go from record cold December day, record hot December day, to coldest January day in 29 years....

And it could be back to 40c on Friday.

Rollercoaster.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

StratoBendigo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:40 am Smoky here too. We only got 5mm, but it's welcome regardless. Currently 12c and it feels real cold. So in 5 weeks we go from record cold December day, record hot December day, to coldest January day in 29 years....

And it could be back to 40c on Friday.

Rollercoaster.
Yesterday was beautiful. Nice rainy cool day, could have been mistaken for July.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

11.6mm here (nearest AWS) - absolutely zero complaints on yesterday's bike ride about the rain.
stevco123 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:59 am Smells a little like when you put out a fire with water.
Yes, this! Smell is permeating inside everywhere. At least we're safe, horrendous in East Gippsland and the North-East.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

8.6mm overnight here, which brings us up to 19.4mm for the event. Very welcome, and quite a bit more than I had expected. It's currently drizzling and 11c. It's also smokey, which looks like fog until I go outside and smell it. Nice to see the place wet again with puddles everywhere. The radar is showing the rain band across the northeast and approaching east Gippsland - hopefully it results in some decent falls out that way.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Had 6mm overnight to make it 13mm from this rain band, very happy with that and so is the garden. Smoke haze is shocking...
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Had 12.2mm to 9am today, which makes it 14.2mm over a couple of days and have had a further 0.4mm since then. That'll be it I'd say, definitely was good to hear rain on the roof again :P

Friday does appear to be the next temperature and fire spike day, but of course will be all about timing of the change. Last night 00z EC was hinting at a late afternoon change for Melbourne which would have resulted in temperatures close to 40 (and hotter elsewhere), though this mornings 12z run has quickened the timing up a bit. GFS and the German model have it slower (meaning hotter), while ACCESS brings it in quicker. The models wobbling on timing will continue for a couple of days yet.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Very smoky here today, Vis down to about 3kms.
Didn't get much from that rain event just 2.8mm's here and 3.0mm's at the Airport.
Just too far West.
Another cool day here only reached 13.6c yesterday on my PWS 14.1c at the Airport.
Currently its 16.3c - 1.55pm
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Great to see those decent falls in Central. We were a tad too far west but still ended up with 9mm in total and thanks to the persistent cloud and cold weather, it's still very damp out.

Better than I was expecting & good to be picking up some moisture from the tropics at last; hopefully this event marks the start of a gradual shift back to productive fronts and troughs.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Some shocking Air quality numbers today:
http://aqicn.org/map/australia/

717 in Wangaratta atm is dreadful. Melbourne mostly 200-350.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Yes the smoke is shocking! Just jumped from 180 to 370 over the last couple of hours at the closest air monitoring station in Melton.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Today could easily be mistaken for a winter day in my motherland in Europe. Foggy, Cool and drizzly with the stench of wood fire smoke from people's chimneys.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

This smoke/smog seems to be getting worse. The whole houses stinks of it now. It's like Beijing outside
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

When did Melbourne last have consecutive maximums below 20 degrees in January?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

And with heavy drizzle down here now, i don't think we'll go past our maximum of 13.4 degrees. Quite remarkable really for January.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas temps today: Bushy Park 28.2, Ouse 27.3, Cressy 26.6, Scotts Peak 26.1, Launceston 25.4, Hobart 20.9, Devonport 20.1.
Hard to believe a mountain in south west Tasmania was 10 degrees warmer than Melbourne!!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Have seen some weird weather days, but today's a new one for me. Thick fog and thick smoke all day in the Dandenongs. For much of the time it has been drizzling lightly. All up about a mm to add to the total. Max of just 11C :o (after yesterday's 10C).

The city this evening has awful smoke - not sure I've seen worse - buildings in the fog and drizzle. It's also cold. Really - this is just darn weird.

The surface trough is anchored just east of Melbourne where its likely to stay for a couple of days, so hard to see a whole lot changing. Main focus for showers will be the Otways, Gippsland Hill, and perhaps some wrapping into Melbourne from the two bays. Could also be the odd thundery out east.

Probably new thread for the coming strong front on Friday. CMC, UKMO, ACCESS and EC all have moderate falls or better with a cracker of a front mid to late arvo. GFS is a little less keen, but is upping totals compared to earlier runs.

EDIT> Just look at the Dunn’s Hills obs and looks like our 10.3C yesterday is a record here (back to about 1990), and today’s 11.4C is 0.1C above the old record. Geez shame we can’t have a couple of “record” cold days in July so I can brush off those skis in the shed :P There would be colder obs lurking earlier but no data for here (there has been reports of snow in the Nongs in January in the past). The Christmas Day 2006 8.6C here would suggest we could get a max of around 9C under “ideal” conditions in early January.