Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Strong front and trough - Sept 19-22 2019

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

VIC - Strong front and trough - Sept 19-22 2019

Post by Didjman »

I don't think I have started a topic before, but here goes... This front / trough is going to give us a lot of wind as well as some rain. I notice the BoM have a warning out for SA re wind and raised dust. Already we have wind to 42klm/hr here in Wallan.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Strong front and trough Sept 19-22

Post by hillybilly »

Didjman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 am I don't think I have started a topic before, but here goes... This front / trough is going to give us a lot of wind as well as some rain. I notice the BoM have a warning out for SA re wind and raised dust. Already we have wind to 42klm/hr here in Wallan.
A good start :)

Gonna be a couple of warm ones ahead of this, and getting very windy. Will be a substantial dust storm inland ahead of the wind change. Gotta be a chance it will blow the whole way into Melbourne later Friday :?:

Decent band of rain for Saturday though slipping away. Good falls out west, thinning as you go east.

Not hard to imagine summer with this system.
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Absolutely awesome morning. 21 at 7am this is more like it!! Stoked!! 8-)
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Crap morning here thanks to this disgusting windy filth. :cussing:
Had hardly any sleep last night due to a constant rattling outdoor blind, so I'm particularly grumpy this morning.

Hopefully we pick-up a few mm tomorrow to replenish the moisture this wind has taken out of the soils.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

No indication of any strong winds down here last night or this morning at all! We had a gust of 43km/h about through the night but I'm down in Mornington at the moment and it is quite calm
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

A Qantas plane had to divert to Avalon Airport due to strong winds at Melbourne Airport this morning. Lukily my friend got in last night. Pretty warm night too. Feels like Summer is already back but that will change over the weekend into next week :(
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC - Strong front and trough - Sept 19-22 2019

Post by Dane »

Warm and windy here had a gust of 34 knots (62kmh) on my PWS in the early hours of this morning.
Has eased off somewhat now only gusting to about 18 knots.
Very warm here last night Min was 16.0c. Has reached a Max of 24.0c here and 22.0c at the Airport.
First day over 20c at Ballarat Airport since April.
Hopefully get some Rain tomorrow but not looking like much I think.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas temps today: Hobart 27.2, Launceston 23.8, Strahan 25.8. Hobart was 12.1 degrees above September average.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

It was certainly bumpy landing in Melbourne at 4:30 this morning 😱 amazingly warm this morning too!!

Off topic but yesterday I experienced my first earthquake whilst I was in Bali, strange experience. The first one was a quick jolt followed by a second tremor 10 mins later, felt like I was standing on a boat.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Warm one in the Nongs today with a max of 22C. That’s about 27C sea level equivalent. Rainband looks great in SA, but is peaking and will slip south. We will get the dredges. Should be solid falls out west, but it will thin quickly. Should see 5-10mm in the Dandenongs tomorrow, but never too confident with these sliding south events. Second shot of showers later Sunday into Monday.

Btw been on the road the last day and a bit driving to Queensland. Dramatic changes in the landscape. Yarra Valley is wet, with lots water lying, drops over the Great Divide and it is a classic green drought with little water in the creeks and the hill tops barely green but the flats looking green but not much growth. Eildon is way down. It then turns wet around Sydney to just north of Newcastle, then really dry again. Lots of smoke and brown once you get to about Port Macquarie. Have done this drive three times in four years and the dryness this time was as bad as the other drought years in lots of spots. I have missed the worst of it which is inland, of course.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Crazy warm night and now a toss-up between the approaching wind change and 9am to see if the city sets a new September high. Current min of 21.4C with the record to watch 20.5C. EC has the wind change mid morning so could be lineball. Would expect a few other sites in central will be similar (e.g., Coldstream is currently above it’s record).

Good falls today out west and developing over the northeast. Inbetween we kinda get the edges of both. Not too confident, but thinking we should see around 5-10mm at home. A couple of mms in the city which is slipping below pace for an average month now :( Then a few showery days and quite unstable so could get a rumble,
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

No records here - 10C or less since 3am and 9C now. Have to light the fire before the house cools down. Good to see the end of that relentless wind for a bit!

Just missed our first 20C day since autumn with 19.5C the max but it felt properly 'warm' for the first time in ages. Might have to wait a while for the next chance.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Cold front has passed and we got zero rain after forecast models suggested 3-6 mm. Ominous for the coming few months...
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

hillybilly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:01 am Crazy warm night and now a toss-up between the approaching wind change and 9am to see if the city sets a new September high. Current min of 21.4C with the record to watch 20.5C. EC has the wind change mid morning so could be lineball. Would expect a few other sites in central will be similar (e.g., Coldstream is currently above it’s record).
Looks like the change came in an hour before 9am. Dropped down to 14.6 degrees. So unfortunately no record.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Very windy here over the past couple of days. We had a gust of 70km/h. Mild overnight, only getting down to about 17c after reaching 22c yesterday, our warmest day since 21st April. Currently 15c and a few showers passing through, but not adding up to a lot.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

2.8mm more than I was expecting here. Bonus! We had a peak of 19.9C at 0200. Now 11C with northerly breeze.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

2.6mm here. Sun is out and the wind has picked up.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Wind still northerly here, temp 15C
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

On radar loop, SW wind change seems to be from Ballan to Rosebud.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

5mm in FC which is close to what EC had for today. Keeps it ticking over :D

Mainly dredges in central areas, as expected. Decent falls out the northeast and southwest as expected.

Looks like Coldstream and Viewbank both set new September high record mins. Was the kind of set up where you had only a narrow window to get them, so don’t anticipate many more (though haven’t looked too closely). Tis too easy it is to get warm records. This front or the northerly ahead of it had nothing to special about it.

More showers Sunday and Monday so a bit more to come.