Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic: Fronts and troughs 9 - 19 July

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Fronts and troughs 9 - 16 July

Post by Didjman »

The split in the polar vortex has all but "healed" looking at the following link:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... -83.95,488

But another stratospheric warming event is happening over Antarctica between Africa and OZ:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 50anim.gif

An end of month polar blast is looking likely atm.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

0.3C min and 1C now. No more snow overnight, its actually fairly dry here, even my concrete terrace is dry.
I was surprised to see that the weather person on Ch 2 last night didnt even mention low level snow. A bit weird.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Dry as a bone here with sunny blue skies & more wind. :roll:

Meanwhile down at the other place on the island it's been nice & wet with constant bands of showers pushing through. Approaching double figures so far down there. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Getting showers here now. Alternating between rain, sleet, graupel and snow. Temperature of 3C so about 0.5C too warm for propr snow. Next shower might chill it a bit more :?:
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

11mm here to 9am, 30.5mm for the dates. More since - doesn't stop! Odd burst of snow among the icy rain, but doesn't look like settling.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

its all going around us here though don't mind the sun! 8c atm
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Brrrr..
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Heard a rumble, walked outside and thought that cloud has a nice green tinge...

Two minutes later....

S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Heard that boom here. It was close.

Edit; now hail.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chasersaddict76
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chasersaddict76 »

Now 13c with cloud breaks with sun and I wish High Pressure move more North of Australia as pushing polar belt too tight. So SW to SE Victoria wins for good cold isolated showers.
Attachments
radar.jpg
radar.jpg (191.11 KiB) Viewed 11216 times
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 11216 times
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Had a good sleet shower a short time ago. Currently 4.8c. Wind has calmed down a bit this afternoon. It was quite windy overnight and this morning, with gusts up around 50km/h.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

The last 3 showers here all had soft hail in it, temporarily and sparsely making the ground white. Temp has only reached 7 degrees down here with persistent showers. Currently 6.5 on the car gauge as i wait for the wife at the shopping strip.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Just got back from a snow chase up to Mt Donna Buang. Snowing heavily up there, blizzard like. Snowing down to the turn off road to the summit.

I was in a 4x4 so I was able to get to the top car park - but they closed the last bit of road to the summit. Put the 4X4 in snow mode and it did not slip once despite the road well and truly covered. Saw one car nose down in the creek gully near the booth - will need a tow truck to get that out and front end would be wreaked.

Measured 1C at the highest point. Sticky snow, clinging to everything even though it was windy. Timed my journey up there for just after that first band coming up from the SW arrived.

The Yarra river was a torrent and brown. I believe O'Shannassy dam is under maintenance for the next 12 months so water is flowing straight through to the Yarra currently.
Last edited by flyfisher on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Every shower that’s past through has been hail bearing. Some good totals actually
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

flyfisher wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:55 pm Just got back from a snow chase up to Mt Donna Buang. Snowing heavily up there, blizzard like. Snowing down to the turn off road to the summit.

I was in a 4x4 so I was able to get to the top car park - but they closed the last bit of road to the summit. Put the 4X4 in snow mode and it did not slip once despite the road well and truly covered. Saw one car nose down in the creek gully near the booth - will need a tow truck to get that out and front end would be wreaked.

Measured 1C at the highest point. Sticky snow, clinging to everything even though it was windy. Timed my journey up there for just after that first band coming up from the SW arrived.

The Yarra river was a torrent and brown. I believe O'Shannassy dam is under maintenance for the next 12 months so water is flowing straight through to the Yarra currently.
Upper Yarra Dam is under maintenance. But ye Yarra has really been flowing recently, it was really wide just a few weeks ago as well, when we had the last few tonnes of rain haha.
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Had one of the better hail-bearing coldies I can remember in recent times pass through Box Hill around 1pm. Finished with a big boom of thunder too, not bad.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

No hail in East Warby, but 2 tanks full of water, been raining just about all day
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

flyfisher wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:55 pm Just got back from a snow chase up to Mt Donna Buang. Snowing heavily up there, blizzard like. Snowing down to the turn off road to the summit.

We must have crossed paths. Great day up there. Lucky we went up early as they closed the road to everyone later. Had to use chains on the Subaru which is pretty unusual. I saw three cars off the edge - one in the ditch, another in a tree and another in a creek :o

Lots of sleet, graupel, hail and brief snow in FC. Max of just 4.7C. 12mm in the gauge so far. Hail/graupel been settled in the garden for a few hours.

Wet 24 hours coming up with another trough then warm air advection.

Here’s a video from Donna Buang. Was hammering down...

s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Cold one today - max of 8c during a period of sunshine but most of the day was between 4c and 6c. Windchill got down to -1c. Very brisk outside! Didn’t amount to a lot of rain, only 3mm, as showers were mostly brief, but occasionally heavy with sleet and small hail.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Fronts and troughs 9 - 16 Jul

Post by hillybilly »

Fine cold night here, but that’s about to change with a front coming up from the southwest. This is one of those sliding fronts (comes up then tends to slide along its axis). Expecting some heavy falls through the Yarra Ranges to South Gippsland. EC has about 20mm here next 24 hours, and spot falls to about double that.

Happy to get it (MTD is about 45mm here which is still something like 80mm from the average, so we are actually tacking a tad below where we should be).