Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Cold week with occasional showers: June 18-22 2019

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC - Cold week with occasional showers: June 18-22 2019

Post by snowfall »

Looking like quite a cold night on the way. Hardly a breath of wind and clear skies. It’s already 2.7c here.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

hillybilly wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:21 pm Nice cold one here today with a max of 6.3C. Been in and out of fog.

Going to be a cold one tonight :D
What about some stats on today's cold? You would do the same if it was to do with "heat" or above "average" temperatures hahaha :D :P

I was looking forward to your stats as you have the fastest access to them, but not to be this time.

Coldest Day in almost 2 years
Coldest June day in I think 36 years I heard (could be wrong as I might have heard wrong)
Many suburbs not registering much higher than 8 or 9...
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Liawenee in Tasmania's Central Highlands was minus 6.3 degrees a short time ago
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

So good to see melbs had a single digit max.
Cold here as well, only 4C max.
It hasnt been higher than 5C since last tuesday and winter has only just started. :D
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

:o wow -5.4C at Trentham.
Full on heavy frost here at Mt Macedon -0.1C
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

What about some stats on today's cold? You would do the same if it was to do with "heat" or above "average" temperatures hahaha
Yeah, nah. Too busy renovating a friends house to watch this one closely. Spent the weekend tiling a bathroom floor.

Went looking for significant records late last week and could not find any for Vic. This is pretty standard mid-winter weather. Only observation that caught my eye in Vic yesterday was Coldstreams sub 7C max which is chilly for them, but in this distant past they've had a foot of snow in winter so don't reckon it would be that close to a record. Last week the mins at Mt Buller and Falls looked cold, but were both around 2C shy of records. Will scan for records later today. Drought affected areas might be a chance for the odd approach at a record*

We got our first frost of the year this morning. Car all frozen up :D Ponds not quite frozen, but felt very close. Driving down the hill the fog was about 200m deep with a top at ~250m. Despite the frost my thermometer at the top of our hill was 5C when I left home.

* There was a record in WA on Thursday (-6.2C at Eyre). You can see the tweet at .
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Got down to -0.4c here and frosty. It actually dropped to 1.2c around 8pm with a light frost, climbed back up to 4.7c by midnight, then dropped again during the night.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Really frosty at work nr macedon.
-2C now.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just checked. Vic has set a total of...... One low max and min record for the month at "long run" stations (minimum of 10 years of data). The "record" is -2.0C at Dartmoor (which wouldn't be close to a long run record, if years like 1982 were included). We've set one high temperature record at Lakes Entrance (23.0C) though that's a short site.

Perhaps we've set a record for the lack of records :P

I tend to find Victorians (and Australians) have an odd annual amnesia when it comes to winter, each year being surprised that it occasionally gets chilly :D
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Got down to -1.2c here this morning in Sebastopol first below zero since I arrived here.
BOM Ballarat Airport down to -2.5c coldest since August last year.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Still got frost in the shadows here. Beautiful sunny day.

Some convergence in forecasts for 20-25mm for the coming weekend.
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

My little weather gadget had it down to -5 very white and cold,
considering Castlemaine's temp is recorded on a high part in town
i will believe it. Yesterday would have been the same
Hopefully the rain progs for Saturday stick.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Lots of fog around for the chilly ride into work this morning. Temperature here dropped down to about 1.5°c, so nothing really out of the ordinary there.

Looking forward to a week of dry stable conditions. Finally get to spend some solid time on the bike. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I wasn't referring to records specifically, but to the commentary.

If it was something to do with heat, I'm sure we would have read a comment like "today was only 3.2 degrees off a record" or "this is the first time in 8.2 years we got to x degrees)

:D :D :D
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

-3c this morning again here, followed by the standard glorious winters day.
stevco123 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am I wasn't referring to records specifically, but to the commentary.

If it was something to do with heat, I'm sure we would have read a comment like "today was only 3.2 degrees off a record" or "this is the first time in 8.2 years we got to x degrees)

:D :D :D
BoM just released their extreme maps from yesterday. Around Melbourne and to the SE of the metro was on the top shelf for the daily mean temp extremes over 109 years for June. So it was definitely a cold one down there according to the climatology.
Attachments
BoM extreme map 23 June.jpg
BoM extreme map 23 June.jpg (81.43 KiB) Viewed 10521 times
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

BoM just released their extreme maps from yesterday. Around Melbourne and to the SE of the metro made was on the top shelf for the daily mean temp extremes over 109 years for June. So it was definitely a cold one down there according to the climatology.
I post here as an enthusiastic weather watcher (weather tragic), but in a professional capacity "produce" those maps. The darker blue around Melbourne's east shows a "1 in 3" year type event (so only happens on about 1% of days in June).

I'm struggling to remember a similar day recently with fog that lasted all day in the eastern burbs. I vaguely recall something similar last winter, perhaps it was the year before (?) but not quite as cold. We've got a pretty narrow window for that sort of weather - basically late May to early July and need a wet lead-up followed by a big high with chilly uppers. Outside of this window the sun tends to have too much kick and almost always burns fog off. When you're at a higher latitude that window becomes much wider. I've seen days like yesterday in the UK right up to the Equinox :D

Of course, Melbourne's coldest day in the instrumental record was a 4.4C on 04 Jul 1901 which occurred on a foggy day (there was a day back in the 1840s when it snowed all day with heavy accumulations which may well have been colder but there are no observations).

At Monash Uni the max was 7C, which I'd put around a once every few years (perhaps 5).
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Of course, Melbourne's coldest day in the instrumental record was a 4.4C on 04 Jul 1901 which occurred on a foggy day (there was a day back in the 1840s when it snowed all day with heavy accumulations which may well have been colder but there are no observations).
Nearly all Melbourne's 'coldest' days happen on foggy days.

High pressure + clear night + light winds = freezing night/frost. Plus that with a well-timed fog/cloud event and daytime heating is severely hampered.

This is why we're likely to see near record or record cold in drought years.

Less moisture = less fronts = increased amount of days with frost-promoting conditions. More days with frost conditions = a greater chance of a fog patch/cloud band coinciding with with a freezing night, therefore daytime heating is inhibited, therefore we have a very cold day.

But these cold days mean nothing if the average monthly/seasonal/annual temperature is still above average. In fact, if we get really cold days, yet the year is still above average temperature-wise, that means climate change is practically conclusive. Because if the climate isn't changing, you don't have long patterns of above average temperature. If the climate is stable, one year will be below average, the next will be average, the next will be above average, the next will be below average and so on.

You need to look at trends, not anomalies. I've said that a million times on this forum, but that's the nature of Earth's climate. 'Weather' is a distraction that one must look past.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

hillybilly wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm
BoM just released their extreme maps from yesterday. Around Melbourne and to the SE of the metro made was on the top shelf for the daily mean temp extremes over 109 years for June. So it was definitely a cold one down there according to the climatology.
I post here as an enthusiastic weather watcher (weather tragic), but in a professional capacity "produce" those maps. The darker blue around Melbourne's east shows a "1 in 3" year type event (so only happens on about 1% of days in June).

I'm struggling to remember a similar day recently with fog that lasted all day in the eastern burbs. I vaguely recall something similar last winter, perhaps it was the year before (?) but not quite as cold. We've got a pretty narrow window for that sort of weather - basically late May to early July and need a wet lead-up followed by a big high with chilly uppers. Outside of this window the sun tends to have too much kick and almost always burns fog off. When you're at a higher latitude that window becomes much wider. I've seen days like yesterday in the UK right up to the Equinox :D

At Monash Uni the max was 7C, which I'd put around a once every few years (perhaps 5).
Spot on. I had a closer look at Moorabbin earlier and it only had a max under 10c for June in 8 of 48 years of its June history. Obviously was a cold one in Melbourne'a SE according to climatology. Fairly stock standard up here :)
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

I still have frost from this morning on my lawns, stone walls, and shrubs. The water feature and birdbath are still iced over.
Despite it being the warmest day in almost a week with a max of 6.1C today.
Back to 2C now.
Hope we get another good frost.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Beautiful crisp frost again this morning at Dunolly.24th june. Some cloud out west on sat pic' .Not here yet . clear skies at 7pm
mslp in the west a strong 1030hpa