Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

US Weather (General)

All international weather archives can be found here.
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: US Weather (General)

Post by Ken »

Yep, that footage got some decent airtime on the news here. Although I can't see any obvious condensation funnel, it probably still would've been a true tornado (or a gustnado) rather a waterspout because a) it was part of a group of tornado-producing storms that swept across MA and b) waterspouts typically form from big towering cumulus clouds over larger bodies of water such as the sea or large lakes whose surfaces are warm.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Yeah, waterspouts are never that wide either.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Workers rescued from flooded elevator amid record rain in New York City AUGUST 2011
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wo ... 6115374297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* August 15, 2011 4:48PM
---------
The tri-state area got 76.2mm of rain, and 196mm of rain had fallen at John F. Kennedy International Airport by Sunday night, shattering the single-day record of 170mm from June 30, 1984, said AccuWeather meteorologist Michael Sager.

Nine cars got stuck in water as high as ei2.4m on Amboy Road on Staten Island.

Flooding also shut down the N subway line in Brooklyn for about nine hours.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wo ... z1Lt3LQjID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Massive waves from Lake Michigan hit Chicago, warnings of more to come
Save this story to read later

* October 20, 2011 5:16PM

MASSIVE waves are expected to reach seven metres overnight after high winds and rain caused Lake Michigan to flood parts of Chicago.

Winds of more than 64km per hour caused water to batter areas near the lake Wednesday evening and prompted city authorities to discourage people from running, cycling or walking near the edge of lake, or swimming in it, myFOXchicago.com reported.

The National Weather Service predicted waves would reach 5.5 meters Wednesday night and as high as seven metres by 4:00am Thursday local time.

Chicago's Lake Shore Drive bike path was also closed, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

The newspaper said some airlines were experiencing delays of at least 30 minutes at O'Hare International Airport while the weather conditions prompted Northwestern University to warn students to stay away from the shore at its lakeside Evanston campus.

"It's pretty intense," resident Ryan Erwin told myFOXchicago.com. "I'm impressed. I've never seen a lake this violent."

A high wind warning will remain in effect until 10.00am Thursday near the lake, the Sun-Times reported, while a flood warning will remain in effect until 4:00pm Thursday, by which time waves are expected to gradually subside to less than 4.5 metres.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wo ... z1LtKjMn6l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Just had a look over on WZ at these unbelievable images taken by Mike Hollingshead known as "extremeinstability", words fail me... :sccary:
http://www.extremeinstability.com/2011-6-19.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Amazing pics Geoff. Crikey I missed your post on the 20th, unbelievable!
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Ken »

I agree, absolutely mindblowing photos of the tsunami-shaped structure there! Extremeinstability.com has always been a great site for such photos but these ones are the best I've ever seen.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

It's meant to be our storm season!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn it, I'm moving to Oklahoma!!
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Take care Rivergirl. The reports of this severe event to come are now being posted!!

Another Massive (Winter) Storm Brewing – May Pound Already Battered Northeast With Cold, Heavy Snow

By P Gosselin on 3. November 2012

If you think things are now horrendous for the Northeast US, just wait few more days. Hell in New Jersey and New York could turn into Super Hell, especially if they don’t get power and real help soon.

READ the rest!!!

http://notrickszone.com/2012/11/03/anot ... eavy-snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi crikey. Rivergirl reporting from New York

Flew into NY last night. The absolute devastation caused to Staten Island and surrounding areas was hard to comprehend. I saw it all from the plane as we came in. I have been watching the Weather Channel every day since I got here so know how horrific it has been. We saw long queues of people queuing up with containers for petrol. The taxi driver said that fights have started breaking out as they wait up to 8 hours. One guy pulled out a gun and fired bullets into the air.

Luke and I tried to take a walk this morning but the Nor'Easter is coming in quick and the rain/ice/snow started. It was too miserable to be out on the streets so we are holed up in our hotel at Broadway for a few days now. We have plenty of nibblies and water in case we lose electricity as we are on the 15th floor of the Novotel. Hopefully Friday will be better so we can do our open top deck bus tours.

With more flooding today from the Nor'easter they are evacuating low lying areas again because of flood surge. We will be ok here on Broadway. All the power is on here.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

http://youtu.be/uiVC5xSM3cg Snow starts to fall in NY before the NEaster