Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Severe Cold is about to strike Europe - 1st week of Feb 2012

All international weather archives can be found here.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Severe Cold is about to strike Europe - 1st week of Feb

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Just gets more outrageous John! I cannot believe that there is not more info coming out of our own BoM - the last time there was a massive heatwave over there I believe there was a write up press release on the website.

Well conditions to persist across Europe with strong and gusty cold NE winds coming down from the Artic.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Hey Johnno
Is The coldsnap still affecting Europe? I have not been watching any news lately and have not seen much on the news when i have been watching. Incredible death toll, very sad.
Thanks for all of your updates on this thread.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Hey Macedonian, no problems. New wave of 2nd dose of very intense cold air thats come in from Poland through Austria into Swizterland, Italy, France and the Balkan countries as we speak which is just as intense as the 1st wave so no doubt be alot more snow and very cold temps through these regions the next 3-4 days. Then next week theres a very strong Atlantic front moving in from the North through Great Britain and Northern and Central Europe which will be hit the hardest.. There finally may be an easing later next week as milder Westerly winds push through from Western Europe but its a week out still and alot can change.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/14770/Ove ... big-freeze" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over 500 deaths
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Exceptional stretch of cold weather. I saw images of the sea around the Ukraine frozen over with over 60 ships stranded and stuck in the ocean and having helicopters land on the ocean to pick up workers before they froze to death in -25C weather!!

WOW!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

I spoke with a friend of mine last night, he is a trolly dolly for Qantas and has been in Frankfurt in -20C for the last few days. He said it was unbelievable. Bright clear sunny and -20C. Going outside was not an option.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

I think after a few very mild winters over significant parts of Europe, the current situation is a return to the very severe winters that Europe sometimes receives. Many cities in central to eastern Europe appear to have all time record lows in the -25C to -30C range, so this current event is a very major one but certainly not unprecedented.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind a proper cold winter here this year like we used to get with occasional snow to low levels and decent frosty mornings etc. contrasting properly with autumn and spring so we get proper seasons. It would be nice if what was happening in Europe was reflected in our temps for the next year. :D

I know that's not the way it works though.