Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Goss on Cardinia Contamination Wivenhoe & Smart Water Meters

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Goss on Cardinia Contamination Wivenhoe & Smart Water Meters

Post by mick »

Due to the heavy rains recently, 120 meg of contaminated storm water has flowed into Cardina, due to a breach of a holding dam, 3500 times the accepted Ecoli levels, and hundeds of times the safe level of everything else. The boffins say it will stay in one arm of Cardinia and disperse, but nothng is being officially said about how the spill occured, some say its bad management. Not good news, you cant go for a walk there incase you pee in the pool, but this is considered OK.

Wivenhoe is set to let go 12 months worth of water for SEQ this week, to make room for potential inflows.

Get ready for "smart metering" where you will pay more for water during peak times, hourly usage monitoring, smells of big brother to me. The Cops wil be able to find out if you are home by your water useage. It wont be your water retailer reading your meter, a reading device will be on top of the rubbish truck, kill two birds with one stone. It goes to your house every week. The meters have a sending capability of 65 meters, so some water spy can park down the end of your street and see if you have the sprinklers on.

Several US companies are here atm, flogging this technology. Money is being put up by smart water fund, state and federal goverments and the water ulilities.

If you belive only one thing I tell you, let it be this: install tanks, tanks and more tanks. Even if it doesnt rain, you will be able to top up tanks during off peak times and use the water during peak times.

Its getting spooky and as usual, the world is looking at our trials, we are a test market again, especially Harvey Bay.
Last edited by Lily on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Bit of Goss

Post by Lily »

Well... wow. Huge amount of goss, raises more questions than you (or probably anyone) would have answers for.

The whole smart meter thing leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, Cardinia :o (how can they know it's safe?), Wivenhoe :o for a different reason, and water tanks? Yes, we all should definitely have them, but then if we all move to tanks we'll probably be slugged with a "Rain Tax" :?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Lily wrote: we'll probably be slugged with a "Rain Tax" :?
Well we have been advised that they will be doing that down here on dairy farms. Really sick of the government in these situations. The water lands on our farm, our property and they want to charge us!!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Fits in nicely with the smart electricity meters being foisted apon us.

So now we can see how much the electricity is costing us, and thus make clever descisions about how to defer the electricity usage until later when prices are cheaper.

Sounds good. Has anyone heard of the installers leaving you with an instruction manual and a demostration on how to achieve this? No-one in Vic is armed with this knowledge yet the installation process is going flat out at huge cost.

So once installed, the power company (via internet-over-powercircuit technology which has wrecked the household internet for at least one poster to herald-sun today), ....can remotely cut-off one or both electrical contactors that come with the meter that we didnt know about. One contactor is connected, which can cut your power, the other may be used in the future for "sheddable" loads such as your air-conditioner or hot water service - after you've paid a few hundered more for an electrician to configure it. So you can pay even more to be a good citizen ) or as the spin will be, "outlay this and you can save that when prices are high".

Once all up and running, the electricity supply companies can cut your power off when electricity is tight. Sounds like a bit of good old common sense? - funny thing is, when electricity is tight the wholesale price goes up. So now the distributers can now pass their profit risk onto US!!!! If we arent making them any money, well, just turn us off. They wont have to buy the expensive electricity and will have far more power to negotiate better wholesale deals from the generators. And then advertise how much greenhouse gas they have saved the world (while the backroom boys count the profits).

This will reduce the price spikes in wholesale electricity market, that once would have given the power generators profit at the expense of the retailers. Without these up-side price spikes/opportunities, would YOU buy/build a new power station (esp. given the probability of a carbon tax soon to be introduced that you must pay but got no idea how to plan/budget for)? So less new power capital outlay is now occuring OTHER THAN wind generators.... (which we tax payers all pay for via huge Govt subsidies) - ....which dont generate when prices are high, because that is when its hot and calm or cold and calm.

Get ready for frequent black-outs in the near future - which Julia will dress down with statements like "our sacrifice for the planet". We are being treated like mushrooms yet all seem to accept it (like most are accepting that the earths warming is BECAUSE of CO2). END RANT.\\
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

My first bill after having an Electricity Smart Meter Installed was .........$1,200 :o :o
Needless to say i havent paid it ,wont pay it,the Ombudsman has been dealing with this since August 2010.
Oh,i cant wait for a water Smart Meter........lol :D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Robbo wrote:My first bill after having an Electricity Smart Meter Installed was .........$1,200 :o :o

Whaaaaaaat????????? :o What explanation is there for that?!
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Lily wrote:
Robbo wrote:My first bill after having an Electricity Smart Meter Installed was .........$1,200 :o :o

Whaaaaaaat????????? :o What explanation is there for that?!
My Supplier/Retailer stated that :
1.Charges were correct & True
2.I went to the Ombudsman

During the next few months i was interviewed[phone] by Powercor,Origin & the Ombudsman.
To cut it short,Origin said it was the wiring on my Hot water service or it was a faulty smart meter or the Smart meter DOES not distinguish between peak & Off Peak??? They didnt understand the Meters????
Origin closed the case in there favour in November 2010,said i owed them $1200,pay up.!!They even cancelled my direct Debit payments.

Went back to the Ombudsman where it still sits today,ive had to more bills since then both back at there normal 90 day amounts.
There are a few people here in town who had similar bills to mine,over $1,000 for single live alone persons?
Beyond me how this Smart meter scam was allowed to continue.... :(
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Robbo, a lot of people have had problems with faulty timers on their Smart(????)meters. I'm in another boat and have been slugged twice for NOT having a smartmeter because a particular company starting with 'O" decided to rely on estimated electrical usage which was a couple of 1000 kwh more than I actually used! Moral of the story: compare what your meter says with what your bill says...

Anyway, the Cardinia Reservoir situation has to be a concern. Up here in Northern Vic Blue-Green algae has gone crazy in some of the water storage dams...
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Bodes well for the smart meter I will be getting in a week!!! Can I turn it off!!!?

Should go to solar!!

BTW that stuff about Cardinia is outrageous!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

yeah smart meter will be here in a few days, cant wait for my first bill.
Planning on solar PV in very near future.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Can you refuse to have the smart meter installed? I've heard on the radio some people are doing that.

I also don't understand how smart meters can be installed without Certificates of Electrical Safety, everything else you get done electrically around your home requires one. Or are they exempt?

We don't have one yet *touch wood we don't get one lol*
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

My husband is an electricial contractor and I have had this debate with him about certificates of electrical safety. I asked if he can install ours instead of the hired labour from overseas who have only been trained how to install the stupid things and cannot rectify any problems they then cause with the electricity supply into your house. He is unable to install them because electricians are not allowed to touch meters and anything that goes on outside the property. I am thinking of locking my meterbox and not letting them install one. Don't know how legal it is. Hopefullt the gov. stops the program before it gets to the hills.

Try to be there when it is due to be installed. Turn off anything that doesn't need to be on in the house if you are not home because I have heard of people losing work on their computer and fridges and stuff being switched off and losing everything inside.

Any doubts or if your power is not working when it is installed, call a registered liscensed electrical contractor and the ombudsman would be my advice
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

We, the Victorian public simply did not know that we were going to be FORCED to have the smart electricity meter installed. I'm in the industry and I assumed it would be an option that green-orientated people could opt to use, I've only found out I was wrong in November.

I have heard of people setting dogs and locking meters and generally preventing access as a passive reistance to this sham.

The ETU are currently voicing their concerns to EngerySafe that licensed electricians are submitting up to 30 electrical wiring certificates (yeah needed Lily) per day - a ohysical impossibility which leads to the question of just WHO is doing the installation and what are their qualifications! IF you are home when they come, we should demand to see that they have evidence that they are a licenced electrical worker - and keep a record of that licence number. There is case already of a meter wired wrongly (active and neutrals crossed - MEGA dangerous in a house - hence one of several reasons why ETU is involved).

PhotoVoltaic's? - I could write 7 pages on this one. Suffice to say - just ask your electricity provider to tell you what you will be paying for night rate power once you have saved them the effort of providing your daytime power. Run a mile away from this one imo.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Mick, I'm so sorry your thread has been hijacked like this, I will start another thread and copy and paste a few of these posts into another area so that we can return to the topic of your original post (and well worthy of our attention it is, too)!

Smart Meter Discussion is now in Social Soapbox - http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... =13&t=1037
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Yeah sorry Mick, this issue needs follow-up too. Lily, can you and Mick come up with a revised title for this thread, it deserves one!
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Goss on Cardinia Contamination Wivenhoe & Smart Water Me

Post by mick »

Its all good.

Re cardinia, we are now seeing that the discharge of "waste water" as quoted by Melbourne Water was infact raw sewage. God knows what was in the water that spilled into Cardinia. I recall the image of the lady in the Elwood local paper standing ontop of her doorstep, surrounded by black stagnant muck that she said smelled like violet. Turns out she was correct.

You might have guessed that I am intereasted in the truth, AKA violet stirrer, pardon the pun, but I have asked the exec for their explanation. Lucky I am protected by whistleblower legislation!

Now cop this, and here goes my career, there are water meters installed that are electronic, on big commercial customers, over 100mm services, that are faulty. They read flows when they are disconnected. My FO shut of a service and stood there for 30 minutes and watched one tick over. It seems they are sensitive to trams, trains, overhead powerlines, other metres, cars passing by, birds flying and god knows what else.

As for electricity smart meters, I rent, but when I get my letter in the mail Im going to lock the gates. I just dont trust them.

I previously worked in the Electricity industry for 10 years, 4 years as the metering officer for the old MCCESD and when mechanical meters get old, and full of grime and dust, they read low, never high, as much as 20% low, the discs dont turn as fast as they are supposed to, so with an old standard electricity meter, you cant be overcharged, unless the meter reader keys in the wrong number or decimal pointm which is almost always picked up in the next read. Everyone who has a mechanical electricity meter replaced by an electronic one will see a rise in their bills.

These new electricity smart meters are largely untested, if you have one and see a dramatic change in your bill, challenge it.

The overall aim of smart metering, and there is a national working group, is to have one meter that reads everything. No other country has this. The only benefit is to shareholders not the consumer. They carry on like you are going to go out to the front porch every 20 minutes to see what you are using. Whats the point? either you are using applainces and lights or you are not. Its all about revenue raising and increased tariffs.

Want to save money with a smart electricity meter? get up at 3am and do the clothes washing. Thats whats instore for all of us.

With regard to the Ombudsman, go to the EWOV site and read their case studies, they list problems like yours and explian the outcome, there are actually several cases like yours, PM me if you want me to send you these particular reports if you cant find them.

The EWOV, like the TIO charges companies for complaints, so many $ per page, to encourage the retailer to resolve the problem. The longer your case goes on, the more pages, the more Origin etc pays the EWOV. The EWOV is actually on the side of the Consumer, although officially she is impartial. Your case is not closed until you agree to the result. If you dont like their final decision, which can take many months, you can go to VCAT for 60 bucks, keep at it, dont pay that bill, change retailers if you feel ike it. You can demand independant testing, energy audits all free of charge to you.

The EWOV is Fiona McLeod, who is a really genuine, empathetic person and so are her staff, Its a fantastic department. I suggest you call the EWOV on 1800 500 509 and just listen. You actually hear Fiona explain what the EWOV is all about, Just fantastic compared to the usual Govt runaround. No press this and press that, after Fionas message you go straight through to a real person, no waiting.
Last edited by mick on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Re getting up at 3am - THATS UNLESS you have done the right environmental thing and installed PV cells on the roof. You will be charged peak rates (and if not "peak" rates, a rate FAR high than you currently do for off peak.) I think that some providers dont even identify OffPeak if you have PV cells installed.

Jeez - done it again, sorry Mick/Lily, havent seen the new thread yet.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Eh Petros, theres a bloke in WA who installed 180, 2400w PV panels on his land. The Govt rebate over there was so great it coverd his entire cost. So he sits back and feeds back to the grid and just counts cash!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

mick wrote:Eh Petros, theres a bloke in WA who installed 180, 2400w PV panels on his land. The Govt rebate over there was so great it coverd his entire cost. So he sits back and feeds back to the grid and just counts cash!
Dont worry, here in Vic we are last cab off the rank re these schemes. Take NSW for instance, they are currently dishonouring the agreements made with the unsuspecting public after the initial outlay! The Victorian electrical distributers are smarter than that.

PV is great in principal, but wait until a healthy selection of "real" companies are out there to compete to provide the PV cells and the associated electronics, based on return of equity, electrical conversion efficiency, installation cost, warranty, back up service etc. when we can all be sure the stuff installed will last longer than next year (any one checked the warranties on these systems?) ......... and when the systems can be installed by ANY licenced Registered Electrical Contractor that can quote you for their work. AND when you can be sure the agreement you signed onto can not be altered in the foreseeable future.

I tell yez all, sit and wait.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Just on the news that Melbourne water just admitted pumping raw sewage into rivers/waterways and port phillip bay, but not mention of cardinia!!!! hmmm smells of coverup if what you're saying mich is true...