Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Major upper and surface lows - 12–16 Dec 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Major upper and surface lows 12–16 Dec

Post by flatcam »

Great photos SC. :D

Round 2 may be forming to the NE. Hopefully the cells continue to grow and merge. Had some great thunder earlier, but the main cell moved southeastwards into the eastern suburbs, and we just got the messy stuff around it.
Last edited by flatcam on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J
Jezza
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Jezza »

Jake Smethurst wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:56 pm
Jezza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:55 pm Long time reader, first time poster.

The rain has just arrived here in Balwyn.
Nearly missed this with all the excitement! Welcome to the forum Jezza!! Will be good to see your posts :)
Cheers, Jake :)
A
Amandagorural
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Amandagorural »

Have to say that it would have been almost scary to be on Phillip island for the last hour. That lightning rate was phenomenal! I wonder if there were any brave photographers out in that?
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

With full sun sky is building nicely to my nth and ne :D
Maybe i will get some birthday fireworks!!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Jake Smethurst wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm Dane, Stevco, did you get much lightning/thunder? Shame about the 2/3mm, they'll be plenty of higher totals and local flooding elsewhere down that way, the system just keeps building on itself. Falls up to 30mm.

Elsewhere across Melbourne, hopefully there is enough clearance for a bit of a recharge ahead of later this afternoon and evening with further showers and storms still possible.

Very localised totals. 20mm Cranbourne East and 4mm at West. Big difference. Parents reported a bit of thunder.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Just experienced an absolute ripper of a storm in Parramatta here in Sydney, bolts of lightning, deafening thunder & torrential rain. Going to be some flooding for sure.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Very misty sky, the type you see in Singapore.

Humid and yuck
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Yes Jake, there were quite a few rumbles of thunder with that storm and some lightning.
Not that electrically active though.
Just 2.6mm's here but checked a couple of AWS's in Clyde North about 4 to 5 kms to my ESE
One recorded 35mm, 30 of that in 30 minutes and another nearby recorded 29mm's.
So it really has been a frustrating system for me and Stevco one of the most frustrating I can remember.
Also after 17 years here in Cranbourne will be moving away from here in early January.
Initially will be moving to Seaholme near Altona and then to Ballarat in March.
Will still report on the weather from those locations when I can.
Altona and Ballarat have both done well from this current system with more than 100mm's in Altona.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Very frustrating for you guys :| But I can't wait to hear your reports Dane, from your new localities! At least you'll probably get some snowfall in the B-rat! :P

A couple of cells coming down from the north, but struggling to hold it together and not very lightning active. Conditions do remain relatively unstable enough for possible development into tonight and overnight, much will depend on the movement of the weakening low (though tomorrow is now probably the main focus).

All ahead of a hot day Wednesday!
Didjman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm With full sun sky is building nicely to my nth and ne :D
I assume your birthday Didjman! HAPPY BIRTHDAY :P Did you get those fireworks?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Jake Smethurst wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Didjman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm With full sun sky is building nicely to my nth and ne :D
I assume your birthday Didjman! HAPPY BIRTHDAY :P Did you get those fireworks?
No fireworks, I might get up at 0200 for the meteor shwr; as sky rapidly stablising
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just 2mm here today. A couple of productive cells scraped north and south, so we missed the main action by only a few kms. Event total so far just a fraction below 60mm. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Has been an interesting system, with the low refusing to move on. At least a lot of areas of the state that have been suffering with drought got a decent drenching this week. Although a little too much in some parts.

We’ve been lucky overall. MTD is around 80mm, which is above average. And the annual total is also now in above average territory, which is quite remarkable given the lengthy dry spells this year. Pretty much rescued by November and December!
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Feels a lot more stable out there now than it did earlier today, but clearly the odd rumble can't be ruled out for the metro area tonight.

Hopefully this event goes out with a bang tomorrow but even if it doesn't I can't complain, got two pretty impressive whiteouts out of this event in Camberwell.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Down in Walkerville where we’ve had sea fog nearly all day. Was blowing up over the hill like a Scottish mist :D

Had a storm to our north near Kurrumburra and another to our south over the Prom. Plenty of rumbles but not much rain here.

Back in Ferny Creek a miserable 0.2mm. The ENE trajectory is no good for us in the Dandenongs and gets worse the further you go southeast. Have heard of spots east of Monbulk which have seen just 10mm so far.

Amazing contrasts in rain again, with some cracking falls in the far east and south Gippsland.

Thinking tomorrow will actually be quite productive for us, and parts of southern Vic with the upper flow going nwly then swly and the surface winds following. Still unstable, but things are overall starting to wind down.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Very lightning active storm ju st came though here.
Continuous thunder and some big bangs
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

Been watching it in the distance...unfortunately it formed just after us...so just a few rumbles and lightning in the distance

Pretty impressive on the vis satellite though, very rapid forming!

Well maybe I might get something tommorow!?? Has to be my turn eventually! :D
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

BIG kabooms , rolling thunder and frequent lightning about 2am here.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

That cell exploded nicely over SE Melbourne in the early hours :)

Upper low has drifted south and it now over the Wimmera and will head south to the west of Melbourne during the day. It has basically called all the shots from day 1 and today is no different. There is still good moisture on the eastern side of the low and decent instability, so the last chance to win on rain roulette will be this morning and afternoon. All the best :)
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

after yesterday mornings weak storm and showers it was sunny for the bulk of yesterday. Only 4mm. Could've played cricket yesterday oh well, found there is some stuffed lazerlight roofing above the man cave so been fixing the roof.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Crazy lightning storm down here at Walkerville overnight with 10mm. Was like the scene out of War of the Worlds, with non stop strobing for about 15 minutes :o

Back in Ferny Creek just showers with a further 3mm. Radar looks pretty good for more showers and storms today, mostly clearing later. Event on 40mm in FC, so should get to 50mm.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

It's been raining a little this morning. From the NW today.