Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Day to Day weather talk

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Going down to Melbourne tomorrow for a model train show and after checking temps the UHI must be having a major effect on the forecasts.Here in Albury temp for tomorrow is 13C and in Melbourne 16C and majority of suburbs 14C.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Only 13C so far in Melbourne, so it's looking like one of those days where the BOM has stuffed it up a bit. It's another mediocre cold and cloudy day here with a few token sunny breaks. I can't remember the last weekend we've had that wasn't depressingly devoid of sun. Surely in September things will pick up and we'll shake the anti cyclone gloom pattern as the sun strength reaches a point where it can burn off SCu.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Good to see none of us weather nerds was actually tragic enough to waste such a glorious spring day on here discussing the weather! ;)
And what a day, still a tad cool in the breeze but glorious nonetheless, to spend with my girls on Fathers Day! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wasn't it fabulous Geoff. Happy fathers day to you and all the dads :)
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Well today certainly gets my vote as the best day of the spring so far, fabulous! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Has been a spectacular morning sky show for the last 2 hours in the west, colors have been a delight to watch.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Nice red sunrise, and a few "bits" showing on the radar moving across from the west with this cloudband, presumably mostly virga. Certainly quite warm up here this morning, 14.4c at 6.50am, with a brisk north wind.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Yes I noted that lovely sunrise also, Geoff, My first look was 15.8 now it is 16.3.

Glad of that bit of north wind,
poor mower was really struggling with the dampness and how thick and high my so called lawns were. (are still)
Gee things have really double in size. (weeds).
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Nice start to the day, but can't see much happening with this "system" coming in from the west, looks to be mostly mid to high level stuff with nothing more than mostly virga attached. A continuation of the cool dry spring conditions so far - BORING! :roll:
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

No need for a thread for this event, but keep watching QLD and NSW this weekend for whopping storms!

A little rain developing today over the state and a few showers underneath in southern Victoria. Otherwise the boring, cold weather continues.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

We should use this thread more when nothing much is happening, just to talk about what it's like in your neck of the woods each day. :)
As for me, it's turned all smokey this morning with the wind in the east blowing the Glenmaggie smoke all over us, anyone else got smoke today?
Could be a good direction for the firefighters down there as it should be blowing the fires back from where they came into already burned areas, hopefully.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Yes Geoff, loosing my towers in smoke haze this morning,
the only time I leave some washing overnight.
not a strong smell, but tainted from Ash Wed, I know the slightest hint in the air.
Oh how dry is the ground I used to call lawn, awful looking back yard.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Clear as a bell here this morning. The wind has dropped from yesterday thankfully. Low overnight of9C and its 13C now, time to go out and resume watering...
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Plenty of smoke here too, arrived about 2am. Just waiting for rain, garden is brown.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

I can smell smoke in the air and it is a little bit hazy about the place but nothing significant. Winds will go easterly at times over the next few days which will bring more smoke over Melbourne and surrounds. It's armageddon here, although so far watering has been sufficient to keep the garden reasonably OK. A pity I can't say the same for anywhere else that hasn't been watered.

Models are all over the place regarding rainfall as they don't agree on what is going to happen with the monsoon and potential tropical lows/cyclones which should allow infeeds of moisture to start filtering down over most of the eastern half of the continent. It may not be this month but the patterns are certainly changing, Models are pushing the upper high ridge further north and intensifying LWTs in the westerlies at the same time as the monsoon finally makes an appearance for the north. At the very least it should mean the end of 45C+ temps for vast areas of the inland and a return to something closer to normal.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Problems at the BOM? Forecast update 2 hours late! :o
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Rhys_34 »

Never seen it this late before...
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Yeah still not up, the other states have updated their forecasts, so not certain whats wrong.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The TV networks have been forced to repeat this morning's forecast in the evening bulletin. I've never seen that happen, it's basically a first. I wonder what has gone wrong as the state forecast has updated OK.

UPDATE: 7 day town forecasts have updated at 6:47pm. :?
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Finally updated at 6.48pm !!!