Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Post by mick »

I just seen Karl from here doing the weather on TV.
I remember when he was a storm obsessed kid on TWF
Amazing to see
Sad that it means I'm older.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Just throwing this out there: who has seen Kelvin - Helmoltz clouds? (I have some of my pics for examples). Wallan must be 'Helmholtz city" - i have seen heaps here including 3 today at different levels.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

2nd JULY 2019
Snow season on the slopes very poor currently. This weeks day temps up around 5-7 deg. at mount buller.
Only the cold nights and man made snow keeping things open.
Precip on sunday across VIC from a weak trough. Some forecasting snow. ACCg indicating that it may in fact be rain if the prce ip falls xuring the day.
They may get lucky if if falls at night.
Disappointing for first week July. Hoping for a neg AAO in the coming weeks. :|
https://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/snow ... now-report
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

ACC g has a very nice rain signal in the west of VIC today moving into central regions this arvo'
Rain arriving crom the North and the Nw on radar
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR021.loop.shtml#skip
Nice boost for farming. It was nice and green when l was there a few weeks ago. So this is a bonus
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Saturday the July 12th.2019... Next decent cold pool over VIC..Thickness down to 532 over Victoria . 6 days away...with plenty of precip' for the alps
Looks like a good event for the VIC alps
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/ ... fresh+View
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Hi All,
Looking at the link below, I reckon we are in for another cold snap around end of month. What do others think?

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 50anim.gif
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

The split in the polar vortex has all but "healed" looking at the following link:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... -83.95,488

But another stratospheric warming event is happening over Antarctica between Africa and OZ:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 50anim.gif

An end of month polar blast is looking likely atm.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Powerful-looking cold front for Friday on EC for a few runs now, and on ACCESS, though GFS not interested.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Seems a fairly settled period over Christmas/Near Year proposed from all models for Vic.

Looks like a monsoon trough/potential weak cyclone might be possible in the GOC.

Typically if we dont have a heat wave, or a frontal system, for Vic, this typically manifests as a multiday period of easterly drizzle to upset campers.

Not so this year if GFS is correct:

To me this synoptic is quite unusual, typically at this time of the year, we have a weak elongated "sausage-like" high laying W to E over Bass Straight.

This high (if it comes to pass as mooted) would be anomalously strong, and may deliver some very fresh NE'ly wind over E Vic during next week?
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Yes - hard to see any rain at all over the next 10 days in most of Victoria and Tasmania.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

No complaints about the lack of heat waves, perfect weather in our back yard,
Those long grasses with seeds are nearly all gone.

Merry Xmas to all.
Enjoy your family time together.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Petros wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:07 pm Seems a fairly settled period over Christmas/Near Year proposed from all models for Vic.

Looks like a monsoon trough/potential weak cyclone might be possible in the GOC.

Typically if we dont have a heat wave, or a frontal system, for Vic, this typically manifests as a multiday period of easterly drizzle to upset campers.

To me this synoptic is quite unusual, typically at this time of the year, we have a weak elongated "sausage-like" high laying W to E over Bass Straight.

This high (if it comes to pass as mooted) would be anomalously strong, and may deliver some very fresh NE'ly wind over E Vic during next week?

The latest synoptic:

To me this is a significant weather anomaly for this time of the year - not in terms of the latitude of high, but in terms of its intensity, and, its circular "mid winter style over central Aus" shape.

For example, here in Nth Central Gippsland, the last time we have recorded a pressure of 1030hPa was back at August 8th. So to have a pressure in excess of that, potentially traverse over Tassie, in coming days, is definitely something I have not recorded over the past 30 years.

I wonder what impact it will have over the cyclonic systems while it's in play? Certainly it potentially can advect a mass of humid air from Qld down into E Vic later this coming week?
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Petros wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:15 pm
Petros wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:07 pm Seems a fairly settled period over Christmas/Near Year proposed from all models for Vic.

The latest synoptic:

To me this is a significant weather anomaly for this time of the year - not in terms of the latitude of high, but in terms of its intensity, and, its circular "mid winter style over central Aus" shape.

For example, here in Nth Central Gippsland, the last time we have recorded a pressure of 1030hPa was back at August 8th. So to have a pressure in excess of that, potentially traverse over Tassie, in coming days, is definitely something I have not recorded over the past 30 years.

I wonder what impact it will have over the cyclonic systems while it's in play? Certainly it potentially can advect a mass of humid air from Qld down into E Vic later this coming week?
This is interesting. Certainly been a long and pleasant mild spell here, but we’re in need of rain it’s been quite a dry December and everything has browned off. The sunshine has been great for the veggie garden.

We had some light easterly showers here in Warragul on Monday, so I reckon you were spot on with the drizzle prediction (Mallacoota had 10mm).
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

GFS alone, is mooting for an ECL to form along E coastal Aus mid next week. Been a while since we've had an ECL, something to keep an eye out on, and to compare accuracy of long term models:

Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Not liking those dates,
For flying and window replacements.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm Not liking those dates,
For flying and window replacements.
It looks relatively sedate on all of this morning's model runs. Perhaps some cold and blowy Southerlies on a few days, but nothing unusual. Looks like quite settled weather under a big anticyclone too after that.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Wow - check out the low pressure intensity in the bight right now!:

S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Quite a Low. Just needs to be nudged further East to allow the cold air to come through and dump snow on the Alps. Perhaps a bit of that this weekend.

Looks like a decent cold outbreak this time next week too.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

This arvo's CMC run shows a hint of what may be in store for SE Aus for the coming months, moisture advected from both the Indian Ocean AND the Coral Sea to set up a more significant cut-off low mid next week?:

Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Nicely forecast by CMC from 6 days back: