Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Sydney/NSW: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Sydney/NSW: Day to Day Weather Talk

Post by apocalypse »

Image Cuts Ribbon Here :D

Some towns have already received moderate falls from this rain band, including 24.2mm at Yanco, 20.8mm at Narrandera and 20mm at Tallimba.

Up to 10.5mm at home from pleasant, steady rain, and 8.4mm at the airport. It is currently 17.4C which is lower than what I expected, so I may have to revise my forecast of 25C to somewhere around 22-23C.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: NSW: Day to Day Weather Talk

Post by apocalypse »

We only need 9.4mm to set a record for the highest monthly rainfall in February (i.e. 157.5mm)! Seems likely that it could be broken today. :P
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

apocalypse wrote:We only need 9.4mm to set a record for the highest monthly rainfall in February (i.e. 157.5mm)! Seems likely that it could be broken today. :P
Will be a shoe in judging by radar, apocalypse :D Large area of rain moving right over the SE corner of NSW heading towards the coast, Narrandera Airport showing 16.8mm already since 9am and Wagga at 10.6mm. My little bloke is on school camp in Canberra this week (sniffs, I miss my boy, I'm such an uncool mum), I'm sure he'll be getting a bit wet by now and undoubtedly not wearing the rain jacket I sent with him because this too is "not cool" *rolls eyes*

:laughing: @ cutting the ribbon, that's funny! :P

(Might just change the title to NSW/ACT day to day talk, is that ok with you?)
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

OMG ... how did I forget the ACT!

You can change the title to your hearts delight. :P
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: NSW/ACT: Day to Day Weather Talk

Post by Lily »

Done... and my heart is indeed delighted :laughing: You're doing a great job :)
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Why thank you. :)

Rain is now picking up a bit, up to 17.7mm, and only 18C!
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

So what did you end up with apocalypse? Looks like it's all well and truly cleared now :)
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Finished with 30.3mm at home which is our wettest day this year, and the airport ended up with 24.4mm, so now our wettest February on record! It hasn't been very heavy, but steady soaking rain which has made everything come to life and everything looks stunning. :P

I seriously need to get out there and mow the lawn, it looks like a jungle at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised to find some canopy wildlife in there, lol. Might be a bit of a problem though as the mower isn't working.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Have you tried putting petrol in it? :hysteria:

Wow, so yet another record falls in this crazy summer we're having. Unreal! I can't keep up with the gardens here, everything's growing like mad, including weeds, it's nuts!
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Haha, have definitely tried that one! Although it leaks everywhere and the ignition won't start. :P

It twas very comfortable and pleasant yesterday, the first non air-con day in ages, which is quite out of the ordinary considering the past several summers. We only managed 21.1C (9.7C below average). Don't go La Nina!!!!

Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Some moderate to heavy falls today in the Riverina, South West Slopes and Snowy Mountains districts, including 117mm at Perisher Valley and 57mm at Thredbo.

Picked up 20.7mm at home with 18mm in an hour, and 22mm at the airport. That brings their total for the month to 186.6mm, which is the highest monthly figure since Dec 1988.

Should be fine this week, with a large high dominating the southern portion of the country and directing cooler air from the S and E. Will begin to heat up towards the end of the week as wind turns more northerly.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

See if you can get a few more drops in before the month ends :D
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Some pretty fast moving middle level storms through the ACT/NSW at the moment. Some very nasty cores NW of Sydney, more likely to be wind producers than anything else.

Should see this contract N of the Hunter tomorrow afternoon.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Storms wreak havoc on Hunter region
Wednesday March 2, 2011 - 08:55 EDT

State Emergency Service crews will spend the morning repairing roofs and clearing away fallen trees and branches after yesterday's severe storms that ripped through the Hunter region.

Around 240 calls for assistance were received from residents across Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, the Upper Hunter and Port Stephens, and there are still 88 outstanding jobs.

SES spokesman, Phil Campbell says volunteers are prioritising the calls and are asking people to be patient.

"Most of the volunteers have been seeing tree damage, this is both trees and branches that have come down onto homes causing roof damage in some cases," he said.

"We're also seeing trees that have resulted in a loss of access, where driveways have been blocked, fences have been brought down.

"We've also had reports of power lines down as well.

"We'll make sure we get to people as quickly as possible this morning.

"For those people who still haven't had the SES come to visit, we are also asking people to be patient and if they haven't had time to call the SES yet, to please give us a call on 132 500."

Energy Australia's Allyn Hammonet says the power retailer has responded to more than 300 incidents affecting residents from Scone to western Newcastle.

"More than 18,000 customers were affected either by power lines being brought down by trees or direct lightening strikes on the network," he said.

"A major restoration effort was required.

"300 incidents where trees had brought down powerlines, where lightning had damaged equipment on the network."

"By midnight however, all but a handful of customers had been restored.

"That work continued into the early hours and will continue today."

- ABC
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Current March temperature anomalies for Wagga:

Min (as of the 5th): -4.3C includes +4.5, -6.5, -6.2, -6.8 and -6.3
Max (as of the 4th): -3.8C includes -4.3, -2.9, -4.1, -3.9

N.B. These anomalies are in comparison to daily averages and not their respective monthly averages.

Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

EC seems adamant to bring the trough in earlier than GFS and ACCESS, and doesn't weaken it like the others, so not sure who to be believe at the moment. Maybe the high in the Tasman will have some blocking influence and keep it further west.

The Norwegian site had 60mm in last nights run for Wed/Thu, and has 24mm for the same period this morning, while other model forecasts range from only a few mm up to 25mm. I'm thinking the middle of that seems more likely - maybe somewhere between 10-15mm.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Wet start to autumn
Wednesday March 9, 2011 - 09:44 EDT
Broken Hill's wet weather has continued into March, with 77.8 millimetres falling on the city so far this month.

64 millimetres has fallen on the city since yesterday morning.

The average rainfall for Broken Hill in March is just 19.5 millimetres.

The Co-operative weather observer for the Bureau of Meteorology, Phillip Mew says the La Nina effect is responsible for recent heavy rain in the region.

"This type of weather system, will more than likely carry right through until the end of May, and then it will ease off through the cooler months, but it will regenerate again in Spring."

"Whether it will be as strong as what it has been last year and up until now, that is the question," he said.

"Because of the La Nina effect, it oscillates every now and again, and basically that's what's happened again, we've got a very strong moisture feed coming down from the Gulf of Carpentaria, and there is quite a big mass of cloud directly over our area."

- ABC

© ABC 2010
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Nothin' doin' up there at the moment, judging by the radar, Apocalypse. Did you get anything earlier today?
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Not a drop yet, expecting something later but not too sure how much.

On a side note, I can see and smell smoke outside. Must be burning off somewhere.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yeah, we've had a heap of it down here the past few days too, It's not so bad when there's a little bit of breeze but when it's still and doesn't blow away it's pretty unpleasant. Still, has to be done I guess.