Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Storms SA, NSW, VIC 3-5 Sept. Inc Broadford Tornado

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Convective Forecast: 3-5 September 2010

Post by Hamlan »

The first Victorian lightning has been picked on weatherzone radar well ahead of the main SA storms.
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Ken »

For those interested, latest NTFGS currently has a band of favourable/very favourable tornado and damaging wind gust ingredients spreading east across SA into VIC on Sat where it suddenly expands into a big area over central, northern and northeast VIC (and southern NSW). It's also indicating favourable supercell ingredients moving across SA into northern/northeast VIC on Sat. One thing to remember though is that the algorithms of this system are still being fine-tuned.
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

So Ken, looking decent for Melbourne? If anyone is going to chase tomorrow, i wouldn't mind coming along aswell, tomorrow is going to be great across alot of VIC.
admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by admin »

Brad/John, not sure where you are at the moment.
Anywhere around the Horsham/Hamilton area seems to be in the firing line should these storms continue to fire after dark!

Cheers

Wes
Follow us on Twitter @ AusWeatherForum
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Grrr, is it just me or is the 00z run a complete downgrade? LI's only down to -2 now and way up past Wagga?! CAPE only to 400? Gimme a break :roll: Had a feeling this would happen.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I will have updates of thunderstorm activity, warnings and forecasts from after 7pm onwards right through the weekend along with John and Ken when they are able to be on. So until then hang tight. Unfortunatley, I have to milk cows for the next couple of hours.

So until 7pm, expect the thunderstorm cells in the northwest to continue pushing southeastwards. Areas I would be watching until then are as Wes said, around the Horsham Hamilton area as they, if thunderstorms continue, should get some action later this evening. Along with the Mallee, also watch eastern parts of the Northern Country and parts of the Northeast forecast districts for isolated thunderstorms moving in from New South Wales.

Will be back at 7pm.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

STW out for up here

Showers and thunderstorms are starting to pop and explode on radar showers just to my north look good and heavy, quite low bases already cloud has rapidly increased and got quite thick

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the
Mallee Forecast District.
Issued at 5:10 pm Friday, 3 September 2010.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Ouyen, Murrayville, Rainbow, Walpeup and Robinvale.

10-20mm falls with that storm that hit Renmark Loxton area.
Now Living in Wet QLD
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

That band is becoming widely convective as it moves to the northern slopes and I suspect one or two may make it over the divide into southern areas toward midnight.

Good luck chasing boys!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

An absolute mess of lightning up in the NW corner of the state.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Yeah big complex south of here racing south away from here, had few rumbles and impressive flashes of lightening before skies were quite unstable so not surprised only got shower out of it all

Storms continuing to explode across W Vic so good times lots in NW Vic atm and loads more to come
Now Living in Wet QLD
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Meso, ignore it. This system is bigger than first anticipated. I can assure you.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I_Love_Storms wrote:Meso, ignore it. This system is bigger than first anticipated. I can assure you.
Ignore the latest stormcast u mean? Yeah, I will be out chasing tomorrow regardless of what the models say, figure I will at least get some good flood pics if nothing else!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yes the thundersorm complex over the northwest of the state is rather impressive lightning wise. The inital edge itself has died off a little. Looking on the radar, the east side of the cell is becoming quite active with a line as well developing and seems to be travelling against the normal direction of thunderstorms. It's heading more SSE rather than SE at this point in time. Will have to watch that.

Otherwise we should continue to see other isolated embedded convective cells overnight in the west possibly moving into central parts early morning.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Has any body heard form Joh nand Brad recentl;y? I am interested to see how far north they went?
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Hey Rikki, you chasing tonight/tomorrow?
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

If tonight it will only be locally. Im heading into a movie at 930 and wont be out till 11:15pm. So it wont be till late-hence the local chase. If i head anywhere afterwards it will be either One Tree Hill of out NW to Sebastion or Bridgewater way. Depends alot on the atmosphere when I get out of the movies.

As for tomorrow, Trish is having her Hens so i am hanging with a mate at his house from 11am 6pm. So prob wont be chasing unless he wants too. Then bowling from 6-730 then will see what the weather is doing. By then it will prob be too wet to get along somewhere outside of bendigo. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Ouyen getting a nice thunderstorm at the moment. It's hard to tell on radar how severe the thunderstorm is. Its got potential as it's back building nicely into new avtivity.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

and Clyve & I have band practice so unless they cancel that (which I doubt as we have a gig in a couple of weeks), we're not likely to be out in it unless it hunts us down in Rockbank.....
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Nice storms here atm, heavy rain, deep rumbles almost booming and bright flashs of lightening its great to see

20/12c atm unreal out there its great

BOOMING THUNDER and GREAT CG its on FINALLY
Now Living in Wet QLD
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Good to hear u boys are having fun! May even make its way here by the looks of the lightning tracker.