Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

SE QLD - 12th October

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

SE QLD - 12th October

Post by Meso »

Hey guys, long time no talk. Thought I'd pop in and share some shots from this weekends storm chase.

The chase was almost derailed before it really begun, when we came across this on one of the deserted country roads up here...

Poor bloke had rolled his tractor and had his leg pinned. There were a few intense moments when we first came across it, as we could see what looked like a big puff of smoke further on up the road (turned out he was actually spraying, so probably wasn't smoke after all), so we pulled up, went in for a look (all the while wondering if something was going to explode). Anyway, get closer and there's this poor guy with his tractor upside down, blood all over his face and mumbling that his legs are pinned. Trailer was dug in to the bitumen, so he must have hit with some force. Anyway, we were first on the scene and basically did all we could - called 000 and hung around and re-assured him until the ambulance arrived. Don't think I'll ever forget the look on his face as he said to me "my legs are going numb" and all I could offer was "the ambos aren't far away mate, you'll be out of there soon".

There's a story on the net about it here if anyones interested - http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6738885375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the rescue crews had done their job, it was back on the chase...which was looking like a bust as the sun started to set. We were 3 and a half hours from home and almost ready to turn the car around when we noticed what looked like and anvil spreading out to the west. We pushed on and thankfully we were right...seven hours after leaving home we got treated to about 30 minutes of storm action, which made it all worth while.

Photos below....

Gotta love a big storm out on flat land with the sun setting behind it :)

[youtube]lc5fbjG8pTo[/youtube]