Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

SE QLD - Nov 17th-18th Supercells

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

SE QLD - Nov 17th-18th Supercells

Post by Meso »

Better late than never! My pics from last wknd, my first real big QLD setup. The feel throughout the day was great with numerous storms around, we even landed ourselves in an accidental core punch early in the morning on the way out to our target area lol. Just wish I could have got in better position during thr afternoon, but I got impatient and left the area where I had originally targetted and where the storm of the day developed (dropping 10cm hail!!!) and ended up out of position with my last shot at good photos being 3 cells colliding. Nevertheless, the Darling Downs in SE QLD is an amazing place to chase, flat land for miles in every direction and storms seem to thrive over the open terrain, it truly is the Australian version of Tornado Alley. It's a pity its a 90min drive from home!

Here's what I managed to shoot...

Then the lightshow on the way home was absolutley incredible, dont think I've ever seen anything like it, driving along in the car and the horizon was just constantly lighting up with flashes, every 2nd or two, with the odd flang landing close to the car. I decided we needed to pull up to try and get some shots somewhere so we stopped in at Picnic Point in Toowoomba, which has a nice lookout with some undercover areas to protect the camera...

Snagged these two shots...

Image [/quote]

But, the majority of crazy bolts were only assessable from out in the open and the persistent drizzle annoyed the violets out of me and wouldn't let me shoot from a better vantage point.
Last edited by Meso on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: SE QLD - Nov 17th-18th Supercells

Post by Meso »

And Sunday. Lingering instability was predicted to set off more severe storms and the day didnt disappoint. Unfortunately, I had plenty of other things to do and it wasn't til about 4pm that I could get out for a look. Thankfully a nice severe cell was making its way up from the south at the perfect time! We drove about 20 mins out to a hilled area and a town called Undullah and watched a beautiful cell roll in across the hills. Unfortunately, this is where my camera decided it was going to crack the violet and started spitting out error codes and completely ruining any photo with a bit of white in it (blow outs galore!). So frustrating. The worst part was we got slammed by a microburst and a barrage of hail as I did my usual thing and kept shooting til the storm was right on top of us lol...and I couldn't film any of it as each attempt just caused the camera to error out. Stupidly, I'd also said earlier to the GF, "nah leave the video camera behind, doubt it'll be that good" before we headed out, not anticipating such a violent storm.

Nevertheless, this is what I could rescue. I believe the middle few shots show a developing wall cloud in the RFB area with inflow feeding in...

Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: SE QLD - Nov 17th-18th Supercells

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Nice shots.. Meso.. hows the green ..