Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

NSW / ACT storm chase 18th / 19th feb - 6pm to 12.00am

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
peterhau
Cumulus
Reactions:

NSW / ACT storm chase 18th / 19th feb - 6pm to 12.00am

Post by peterhau »

Last Night, (Friday), Canberra was hit by a very large cell, which I decided to chase out to see what I could get. There were moments of beautiful clarity on the back roads around gundaroo and gunning, but there was no-where safe to pull over and set up. I continued following, watching the great branches of lightning spreading out like fingers. It was really spectacular, but as I was chasing alone, no photos at all. The debris on the gunning to collector road was pretty nasty - there were large gums down every where. I called the gunning and goulburn stations to report them - I would rather let someone know so the next motorist doesn't find them the hard way. When I finally got close to collector, the second front was throwing massive lightning strikes across the lake. The closer i got, the darker and wetter it got. Wombats, rabbits and kangaroos added to the edginess of the night, and when I pulled in at one of the lake george rest areas - the lit one, the heavens erupted. I have no photos, but it was absolutely amazing. Hopefully someone else got the shots. Note: the road between gunning and collector is mainly dirt. if you are chasing first time out there, it is pretty nasty in severe weather.
POW! ZAP! I don't chase storms, I patiently wait for them to come to me.... Usually the soaked guy with the dry camera, atop a mountain, out of running distance from the car...