Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

December 24 & 25 2011 Chase Report (greensyboy)

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

December 24 & 25 2011 Chase Report (greensyboy)

Post by greensyboy »

24-12-11 Day

Was out Christmas Shopping, when looking out from Greensborough Plaza I could see a cell with massive convection going up to my north. Got home, checked the radar, not much rainfall but looked pretty good and figured it was worth a chase. Convection Looked ok for that cell.

Mum's a big fan of storms and I needed a driver so she was happy to come along.
Could see it on the radar heading east, and decided it would be good to go to Kangaroo Ground Tower and have a look from there. On the way I could see the cell we were following dying, but there was another behind that was worth looking at.
Got to the tower, saw nothing special so decided to head for Craiegieburn. There's apparently a good lookout there and the cell I had in mind was going to swing to the north, so hopefully a chance to get some lightning.
Took back roads through Wattle Glen, Yarrambat and Doreen. Along the way could see another cell over Lilydale area with some very nice pileus in the convection.

Continued to Wollert. Was talking to mum at this point, she said that she was happy to intercept (it was her car, so it was up to her). Turned right on Epping Road to head to Wallan to intercept the cell.

The radar wasn't showing anything too unmanageable so we continued on to Wallan. From here I could see a very clear rain curtain and worked to position us right in the middle of it. Drove 5 mins north of Wallan then did a u-turn. Looking to the north east I could see a very strong updraft base, as well as some green in the structure above.

About one minute later the storm hit, felt like the edge of a downburst. Wind picked up quite strongly, some cars pulled over. Tree debris was being blown all over the road plus there was a large amount of rain and some hail. Here's the radar from the time we crossed and the video.

http://youtu.be/vRbAOYivrnw

After that we went down to Kalkallo where we got off the Hume and got some lightning video as well as some pics of the rain curtains. Was great for about 15 minutes, then headed home. Happened to notice some lowerings on the cell to the north – which we had just come through, but they were on the other side of a hill and we were travelling in the other direction anyway.

http://youtu.be/72f5oZZKjIw

On the way home under Lalor on the Hume Freeway saw some Mammatus cloud just to cap off the day. Also took some pics of a cell out in the eastern suburbs,

Looking at the radar loop, from the event, looks like the cell intensified just before we drove through it. Furthermore someone suggested the possibility of a hook echo just after it passed through Wallan. I can't seem to see anything particularly clearly defined, nor can I find anything on the doppler, but here are the loops from that time.

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 02:00 24/12/2011 to 06:00 24/12/2011 UTC

128km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 02:00 24/12/2011 to 06:00 24/12/2011 UTC

128km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 02:00 24/12/2011 to 06:00 24/12/2011 UTC

25-12-11 Morning

Thunder and Lightning were coming through up until about midnight. I saw on the radar another band developing but wanted to get some sleep so went to bed.
I was woken about 3:30am to thunder overhead. It was quite persistent so I figured if I can't go to sleep I might as well go outside and watch.
There was one cell overhead moving through, followed by another 20 minutes later. I ended up staying out until about 5am. During this time I was up and down the street trying to get some good footage. Ended up running into two foxes and possum and a bunch of bats. So much life in the middle of the night! I don't know why people sleep and miss it all.

http://youtu.be/MxRh0yeye-Q

Radar from the time.

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 16:00 24/12/2011 to 18:00 24/12/2011 UTC

25-12-11 Day

Christmas Day. Lunch at my Grandmothers in Lalor. Got to about 3pm when I saw a beautiful cell to the WSW. Convinced my brother to drive and we headed to intercept. Went over the Edgars Rd Overpass a couple of times to get a clear picture of what was going on. Could see a very pronounced rain curtain, with rain free base on the north side. Decided to head south to make a decision on whether to intercept or not.
Travelled along Mahoney's Road then turned left into Hughes Pde. Took this pic from the corner (not the best quality)

Continued down Newlands Road then pulled over at Carr St when we saw hail starting to fall.

While we were under the RFB, hail about the size 20cent pieces was falling and smashing on the ground. I had never witnessed anything like it. It really did feel like something out of a movie.

Also took a quick pic of the edge of the RFB.

We continued to get onto Bell Street, then stayed under the RFB til we got to Preston. Pulled over at a Servo to put the car undercover as it looked like it could get worse,
This is some of the footage taken between Newlands Road and when we got to the servo.

http://youtu.be/HXbaD6TMVFk

Hail from the Servo.

From there headed back west along Bell St and up High St back to report to the family what we had witnessed. Took some pictures of the storm behind us as we went.

Here's the radar loop from 2pm to 3pm:

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 04:00 25/12/2011 to 05:00 25/12/2011 UTC

Back in Lalor we saw the cell move past, but converge with another then miss us to the south, but hit Greensborough head on. I wanted to get home, pick up my car and go for a chase as I could see another cell behind that. Little did I know, the cell behind had just dropped a tornado (The “Melton Cell”).
Waiting for everyone to say goodbye I had a perfect view of the storm and could see it dropping a lot of hail and rain. Was watching the radar as well seeing the same thing. Here's the radar from that time.

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 05:00 25/12/2011 to 06:00 25/12/2011 UTC

We tried to get home as quickly as possible, but traffic on the Ring Road was terrible. Heading north on the Greensborough Bypass we spotted a huge wall cloud on the cell that has just passed through. We heading up to windy hill behind NMIT to try and see what was happening at the base.
We ran up the hill, and noticed as we ran the ground was covered in hail. After we got to the top we saw the wall cloud dissipate in a matter of minutes.

Wall cloud dissipating.

Biggest hail we could find on the hill.

Arrived home to find trees shredded all over the place and the front lawn covered in hail.

This was now about approx. 20 minutes after the storm has struck.

Front Lawn.

SDC11634 by mrskeggster, on Flickr

Back of the House.

Appears water had washed the hail into clumps. A lot of the stuff you see broken was already done (not by the hail)

Spent 15 minutes at home preparing for the next cell. Could see the thing on radar looking quite epic. Decided to head out with my brother being in charge of camera work.
First stop was to get a clear look at the storm and figure out direction. Earlier in the day the previous storms had tracked due east as far as I could tell. This cell was to our west south west, so I thought that we would have enough time to make a game plan.
Lightning was becoming quite frequent and close so windy hill was out of the question. Instead went behind the Nillumbik Shire Offices where there's a car park that gives a good West through South lookout. Saw the hail and noticed what looked like suspicious lowerings towards the west north west. Had to make a decision to follow hail of go for a possible wall cloud. I knew I would regret not going for the wall cloud, so decided to head directly north and get a better view from Yarrambat. At this point we headed north along Yan Yean Road. Here are some pics of what we saw. Apologies about some of the quality. At this point we had heard nothing about a tornado warning, however we were looking a storm that looked pretty darn close to becoming tornado warned.

This would have to be my favourite shot of the day:

We Pulled over on the corner of Yan Yean road and Kurrak Road to have a look. Here's some footage.

http://youtu.be/2WLT3UsW-0Y

Got back in the car to follow it north. We got a text from mum, saying that there was a tornado warning current for central areas. As soon as I heard that I knew that this was the storm that it was talking about.
We were travelling up the hill towards Doreen and saw the Wall Cloud very close to crossing over Yan Yean road about 4kms north of us. Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/_LLIYYpvsec

At this point the storm looked to be heading east. We turned right on Ironbark road for a better look. Here's some video.

http://youtu.be/DSi4LVQLY_Y

We had to travel North East to catch up and having cycled through this area quite a lot I knew of some roads that could do the trick, with a hopeful intercept further on. We headed east on Ironbark Road, then turned left into Black Gully Road. By this time the hail was quite heavy with driving becoming increasingly dangerous. Two minutes down this road and I decided to call it. Hail was too heavy and we never would've been able to break free of it to get in the clear to see the wall cloud. We found a safe place to pull over, I put on my helmet, go outside and covered the windscreens with towels in an attempt to ensure they weren't damaged. Unfortunately we were out of mobile phone range so I couldn't check radar or anything, just sit and wait out the worst of it. Here's a video of us bunkered down waiting for it to pass.

http://youtu.be/KIXGdtyDBaw

After that we got into Diamond Creek, I got radar again and decided to head up to Kangaroo Ground Tower and get a look at the next cell coming through. Here's the radar loop from that time.

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 06:00 25/12/2011 to 08:00 25/12/2011 UTC

Notice at 1813 on Doppler the strong couplet on radar plus the presence of a hook an the 64km and 128km rainfall radar. I will be following this up. For those that don't know – these radar signatures generally accompany tornadoes. Here they are in case you missed them.

So we spent some time at Kangaroo Ground taking pictures, and video, mainly lightning. The tower itself was closed, but there's a platform that looks North, West and South which sufficed. Bumped into some other chasers up there as well. Could see another cell coming across the northern suburbs, plus a whole heap of clear air in the north being drawn in. It was quite amazing. Even saw some hail fog rolling up the hills adjacent to the tower – another first thing for me to see.

Looking west from the platform

More hail fog

Close up of the rain curtain

We left here just as the rain started, and boy was it heavy. The windows were extremely fogged up in the car, plus rain so heavy I had trouble seeing the road. I drove down to Research at 40kmph, couldn't safely go any faster. Here's a picture of the road we were driving on.

This was the main cell that hit Greensborough, Eltham, Research and Diamond Creek and caused a lot of the major flooding. Here's the radar loop from that time. Have a look at the spot just north east of Watsonia (Greensborough). There's a section that is under a black/red for a very large period of time. It was later reported that 92mm fell at the Plenty River weather station in Greensborough in that one day.

Radar Loop from 6pm to 10pm.

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 07:00 25/12/2011 to 11:00 25/12/2011 UTC

We got to Research, only to find that the roundabout was under about 2ft of water. We could see up Main Road, but the entire road was under at least a foot of water. We waited there for the water to subside. There were a few Firetrucks that went through also, probably to rescue stranded cars (there were still a few there today 26-12-11). Here are some of the pics.

http://youtu.be/vIfLxGbIwJ8

From there we could see traffic getting through the roundabout, but saw cars banking up further down. Knowing the road fairly road I knew that it would be submerged for a while yet all through to Eltham, so we took some back streets through Eltham Woods to get to Lower Plenty. Along the way there was a beautiful sunset with the sun setting catching the rain that was about to start falling again.

From there we started to head home, There is a flood retarding basin close to my house that fills every so often according to locals (corner of Weidlich Road and Karingal Drive). I have seen it fill once in my life, earlier in the year in a February rain event. Here's a pic and some video from the basin wall and the other side of the street where it dumps out.

http://youtu.be/yxLGeLylCyE

The point of the retarding basin is so that houses downstream don't get flooded. Having a quick look at the other side of the wall it was clear that the amount of water was so great that it overflowed the wall. (The wall is on the left, the white streak across the road is gravel, there is mud below that mark on the road)

From here we tried to head up Weidlich Road (north) but found it blocked from the roundabout. We parked the car and took a walk. We started from the roundabout, corner of Weidlich and Tamboon Drive. From here I could see that there was a very large amount of water that had come down this street. Never have I heard of it raining hard enough that the street had turned into a river, but that is what happened. Looking at the plants alongside the road it was obvious a lot of water had come through.

As we walked further down we could see drain covers that had been forced off by the water from underneath.

Eventually we got to the low lying area, where it was still submerged. Looking at the scene it reminded me of the Brisbane floods earlier in the year. I had been involved in cleanup with those floods and these were the same albeit on a much smaller scale. There were houses that had their backyards float away by the torrent.

To give you an idea of the height of the water I took a picture of a white fence on the other side of the street. It must've been close to 6ft above the roadway.

From here we headed home. It had been close to 12 hours chasing over two days, and I was looking forward to dinner and a sit down. We got home just after 9pm. Amazed at the devastation that had occurred so close to our house.

26-12-11 Aftermath

On Boxing day I did a quick drive around to have a look at the damage. I went through Lalor, Mernda, Doreen, Arthurs Creek, Hurstbridge, Diamond Creek, Eltham and Research.
Lalor had some minor flood aftermath along Dalton St as far as I could tell. Looked like there had been maybe 3ft of water in some places.
Through every suburb I went mentioned above I saw debris all over the ground from hail and strong wind. Lalor through Doreen had a large number of trees / branches down. I assume due to the Melton Supercell that came through. Hurstbridge was covered in debris, all over the road, the drive to Diamond Creek didn't seem too bad.
Diamond Creek looked to cop some flooding and damage, some areas again where I had never seen flooding before.
I went up to Research to check out where we had been the previous day. All along the main road there were a large number of houses that had been submerged. I did not want to take pictures to try and stay respectful of what people had gone through.
One road behind Research was covered in debris.

I had heard from someone that part of the railway track in Eltham had been washed away, I was able to take photos just as the media were recording a story. Unfortunately didn't get the perfect shot of this.

Drove through Bolton St Eltham, downstream of the flood retarding basin mentioned earlier. The following intersection is on top of the drain that carries the water from that basin (the basin is about 2kms upstream) it seems that even this intersection would've been under at least 2ft of water. This is in between the McDonalds and KFC for people that know the area.

It looks like there are some businesses that would've been affected as well.

From there I went to Weidlich Road again to check the aftermath. As expected mud all over the road, peoples fences washed away, front yards stripped of any plants, general waste all over the place too, mixed in with peoples belongings.
From here it was time to head home and do some research on the computer. One of the amazing things about the modern age is that events like this generate a lot of published material on the web. Here is what I could find, along with the locations as far as I could tell.

Flooding:

Weidlich Road Retarding Basin:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks at the retarding basin, from the south side along Karingal Drive then up along Karingal Drive (looking West).
Weidlich Road

Weidlich Road (Cnr Tamboon Drive facing south)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 9095_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Court at bottom of Weidlich Road (Yangoora Place)

Research

Eltham

Greensborough

Nulgarrah Cres

Hurstbridge

Eltham Railway Embankment Collapse

Thomastown

Reservoir (Plenty Road)

Kingsbury

Lalor

Macleod

Mill Park

Bundoora

Merri Creek

Unsure:

Hail:

Hurstbridge

Eltham:

South Morang

Doreen

Research

Greensborough

Watsonia

Bundoora

Macleod

Rosanna

Lalor

Thomastown

Unsure

Other

Eltham Hail (along a walking path)
http://yfrog.com/kh7q3ygj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railway Line
http://ow.ly/i/ool7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wall Cloud looking north from Thomastown
Channel 10 Story
SkyNews Story
View of Doreen Supercell from Kinglake

Further Links:
http://www.facebook.com/VICTS11.12
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... =69&t=1463

Radar Loops of Christmas Day:

64km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 03:00 25/12/2011 to 12:00 25/12/2011 UTC

128km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 03:00 25/12/2011 to 12:00 25/12/2011 UTC

128km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 03:00 25/12/2011 to 12:00 25/12/2011 UTC

Quick Analysis on two features.

One of the things that has really interested me is the floods that hit the Weidlich Rd Retarding Basin. The amount of water that went through there is unlike anything I have seen before. The thing that surprised me was the amount of water compared to the catchment area. The catchment for that area is not that large (at least I thought).
Here are some pics of the Area from land.vic.gov.au. The Retarding basin is where the two streams converge.

One thing that looks quite particular about this region is the large elevation differences – i.e. it's quite hilly. I'm curious as to whether this would have an effect on the absorption of the soil. If there's any civil engineers please let me know!
I think to further satisfy my curiosity I would love to get my hands on the design of the retarding basin and find out what the assumptions behind the design were (i.e. 1 in 100 year flood, 1 in 1000, etc. as well as the rainfall it was intended to manage)
I have contacted Banyule council to try and get my hands on the design documents and have a look at the information. Will update on the Australian Weather Forum if progress is made.

Finally, there's the couplet (possible signature of a tornado) over Doreen. I will continue to follow this up with BOM and update on the Australian Weather Forum if there are further developments.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to the Australian Weather Forum for consistently being a great source of information both in the lead up and during weather events.
The Weather Chaser for archiving Australian Weather Radar and making it publicly available for free.
Land.vic.gov.au for the free service of obtaining geographical information in Victoria.
My chase partners Mum, Rowan and Tim for bearing with me when the adrenalin starts to kick in.

I hope you had as much fun reading the document as I had out there chasing the storms. Let me know if in the future you'd like to come out for a chase. The more the merrier!
Last edited by greensyboy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Severe Weather Enthusiast
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: December 24 & 25 Chase Report (greensyboy)

Post by AUSSKY »

Great comprehensive reporting!!!! Well done on a great few chases!
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Great reports, amazing effort you've gone to Greensyboy!

To let you know I was chasing the second supercell (you refer to in your report) from Tulla to Yan Yean and have 100's of photos (and video) from close on the northern side of the cell. I will be posting them over the next few days (back to work tomorrow, doh) and I think you will be very, very interested in what they show in regard to your obs regarding radar, hook echoes and doppler wind scan you posted. Please let me know via PM anything you find out from field surveys or info from anyone you make enquiries with regarding this event. I'll try and quickly process an image now for context, otherwise keep an eye out for my pics.

Thanks,
Brad.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Ok, here is a taste of what was happening on the northern side of the Doreen/Yan Yean phase of this supercell which coincides with a defined hook echo on radar. This storm was tornadic in the northern suburbs. Many more pics to come tomorrow.

L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Greensyboy, that was magnificent! What an awesome few days you've had (and what an awesome mum you have lol).

Thank you for such a detailed report and for sharing your experience with us, really good stuff :D
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Epic investigative reporting there greensyboy :) Such detail, such a comprehensive post. Well done! When you said you got home by 9pm. Did your mum then have to cook dinner? As Lily said, you have one awesome mum there. I missed it all :( I was in Tasmania.

Great pics Brad, will check your page out
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments - it did take a while to complete, but I had that much fun and it's been literally where I live. Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that there was ever going to be a Tornado producing Supercell less than 5km from my house. I'm currently working on contacting the bureau to get some more details about a possible touchdown. The most frustrating thing is that looking at the coordinates of the hook on radar, putting them in google earth and the location is less than a km from where we were when we got the tornado warning. If the bureau gets me more info I'll do a damage survey and maybe some doorknocking in the area to see if there's a damage path.
Oh, almost forgot, also happened to find this video on youtube. It's of someone up at Kinglake, they managed to capture the storm on film. Not sure about the exact location or time though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoe66Ey49s
And yes, I do have an awesome mum, but she didn't end up cooking dinner for me when we got home! From memory I don't think I ate until 11pm because I was looking over everything on the forum and youtube!

Cheers,

Nate
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow that's amazing footage, like a mushroom cloud, thanks again. Glad your mum didn't have to cook dinner. Yes that's the best part Nate for you having this happen so close to home. Very exciting thats for sure. You are actually documenting history in your area.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

OMG at the youtube video, what a monster!

P.S. Love all the video you've taken, I think I've seen them all now. Had a laugh at you having to mute the tornado warning video, that was hilarious! And what's with the Weidlich Rd Retarding Basin sign "Lack of oxygen and sudden rising water" - sort of seems a bit odd :P
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Lily,

I think it's for the teenagers around. Pretty sure it's called urban exploration, climbing into drains and underground pipes just to see what's there. Noticed these signs go up a couple of years back. Seems kinda obvious though!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ahhh ok, yes, that makes sense, I didn't realise there were pipes, etc. around there (I'm not familiar with the area, can you tell lol?).
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Awesome post! Found it pretty interesting.