Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Mortlake Storm complex Video 16th Feb

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Mortlake Storm complex Video 16th Feb

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's a video I put together of the Mortlake Thunderstorm complex on the 16th Feb. The video was taken from a web cam which I only started recording later in the day, my main priority was photos and used this for something extra on the side to watch later. In future I'm going to make a better setup for it on the dash so it doesn't move around and sit sideways etc.

When I start driving in the video you can see a pretty good wall cloud come into view that lasted for awhile, when the wall cloud broke down the whole storm was weakening and just ended up as a big HP cell as you can see when I drive through the NE side as I had to relocate from the road I was on before. Was a fun day chasing into the late afternoon, was hoping there would be some lightning active cells at night but everything shut down as the sun went down.

Some might not like the music, it's a bit heavier then my last photo video lol

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Mortlake Storm complex Video 16th Feb

Post by Hamlan »

Good stuff Stephen as I expected ;) awesome chase country and nice to see surface based storm structure too especialy in timelapse.

Brad.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Thanks Brad. Yeah theres a lot of good chase country around there, sure beats trying to follow anything around the suburbs lol. I'd sure love to have another Canon DSLR body with full HD video recording for timelapse videos, I have a spare cheapy tripod for it to. One day... lol

Here's the pics I used in the video.

Made this one in HDR mostly as I was shooting into the sun, this was east of the cell/multi-cell that took off west which I drove right through to follow the other.

Further west

Not long after the storm was breaking down, I took about 80 shots here with continuous shooting as there was a few CG's just in front of the rain core, but died down when I started shooting lol. Ended up going back to a main road as I didn't like where this road was going, even though it didn't really matter at that stage.

On the way home north of the big cell which was just a huge rain band hoping for some lightning around, was a small cell with anvil when I got here but died off quick.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Those are some great pictures, and the video was extremely entertaining! It almost felt like you were there. :D

Pity about the wall cloud - it looked like it died before you got a chance to get a closer look.

Cheers, Cam