Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Collection of assorted places. Non Weather Images.

Enter here to see some stunning photography from our Australian Weather Forum members.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Collection of assorted places. Non Weather Images.

Post by Lily »

Nice Tizza! Congrats on the new camera :D
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow the new camera takes some wonderful pics. Love the coldie Tiz.
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

What type of camera do you use? :)
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

thanks again guys, Pete most are taken on my iPhone with hipstamatic and the later are taken with an entry level DSLR Nikon D3100
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

LUNAR ECLIPSE

The Beginning

The Middle

Almost There

As far as I got, my lens froze over and so did I :)

There nothing special but my first attempt at a lunar eclipse
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow, a lot of detail of the moon in those Tiz. Well done on your first attempt. That camera is working well for sure, and the photographer aint too shabby either ;)
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Awesome shots Tizza! I bet it would have been a spectacle, I was going to get up early and drive up to Willans Hill, but forgot to set the alarm. :(

But you've done all the work for me. :)
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Inspired by Rikki, I decided to have a crack at the milky way from his instructions. It's very noisy but I just need to keep on practicing.

Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Well done. !
Whats your setting..?
Where is it taken from..?
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Thanks Shell, that was taken with Rikki's setting but my camera isn't as good as his so I had to work on it for hours. ISO 3200, f/5/6, 30mm at 15sec.
This photo below was done at ISO 400, f/3.5, 18mm 15sec, in the back yard in Dandenong North.

A
Astronomer
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Astronomer »

Nice effort Tizza, here's a way for you to really get some detail with little noise.

Download this program http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's free

Then take 20-30 images all the same one after the other.
Take 20 frames at the same setting but with the lens cap on straight afterwards.

Plug in your frames into the program above and you will notice a considerable improvement.

If you want to get really technical it can also

take what are called flat frames..... You can do this with a white sheet over the front and an evenly illuminated light box..... This will rebalance any vingetting.

Dark flats, this is again a cap covered exposure the same length as the flats

Bias frames.... The fastest frame you can take with the cap on.

Each of the cap covered frames eliminate the noise made by the electronics of the camera.

Hope this helps.

Clive.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Registax is another good freeware stacking program. I got good results with my eclipse pics, but have nowhere to post them.
With those Milky Way shots of 15secs Tizza, was a motor drive used for tracking?
Peter
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow Tiz, you've done so well. Great captures. Astronomer and Didjman thanks for the extra info. Will come in handy as I'm doing a lot of night shooting in Broome WA next month. The skies there will be awesome
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Didjman, you can upload pics to the AWF photo bucket account. Just pm me and I'll give you the details
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Thanks for all your kind replies and even more support. I'll have to try and find a mac program though. Oh and that 1st photo at 30mm was a mistake too, it was supposed to be 18mm. I'm saving my money for a 10mm lens. Hey does anyone know what's better the 10-24mm Nikkor or the 6-18mm Sigma?

Hey astronomer what's the lens cap for? Is it while it processes the photo. I can't lock my mirror open because it cancels out my timers. So I just have to set a 2 or 10sec timer for the pod to settle after I press the button as I don't even have a shutter release yet.

I have a D3100 so it's a very basic entry level DSLR but it can take really good pix. I just have to get around the few features it's lacking. Some people say there's a shutter release cable available for it and others say it doesn't work, don't bother wasting you're money buying it. There is NO mention of it in the manual anywhere as to using a shutter release so I'm still checking out forums.

Robyn, your photo's from the desert at night will just be jaw dropping,

Cheers Paul
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Afternoon all, my eclipse pics are at the following urls:

http://files.petermatters.com.au/stack1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://files.petermatters.com.au/stack2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://files.petermatters.com.au/stack3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://files.petermatters.com.au/stack4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter
A
Astronomer
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Astronomer »

tizza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:39 pm wrote:
tizza wrote:
Hey astronomer what's the lens cap for? Is it while it processes the photo. I can't lock my mirror open because it cancels out my timers. So I just have to set a 2 or 10sec timer for the pod to settle after I press the button as I don't even have a shutter release yet.

I have a D3100 so it's a very basic entry level DSLR but it can take really good pix. I just have to get around the few features it's lacking. Some people say there's a shutter release cable available for it and others say it doesn't work, don't bother wasting you're money buying it. There is NO mention of it in the manual anywhere as to using a shutter release so I'm still checking out forums.

Robyn, your photo's from the desert at night will just be jaw dropping,

Cheers Paul
Paul, when you take a photo, particularly a long exposure, there is a certain amount of electronic noise.
If you take your normal photo... Ie 15 sec exposure ( we wall call those lights) it will have both the image PLUS the inherent noise.
If you take another photo this time with the lens cap on for 15 sec, there will be no image only the noise,( lets call these darks)
The deepskystacker program will subtract the dark from the light leaving a noise free ( mostly ) image.
Electronic noise is not exact each time so by taking lots of frames you average out the noise.

Registax is also another stacking program, it's specialty lies in stacking video frames.... 1000s, particularly for high resolution planetary imaging, for the moon, Jupiter etc, although you can use it for terrestrial purposes, again video where you have thousands of frames you can increase the detail... A bit like you see on CSI programs.

To get the absolute best results you use all the different types of frames, lights, flats, dais, flat darks and bias.
The colder it is the better result you will get.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you have for astrophotography, as I will probably be able to answer it for you.

The deepskystacker program will then s
A
Astronomer
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Astronomer »

As for the cable release, it will help if you can get one as it will minimize vibration... This isn't such a big deal at short focal lengths but as you go longer it becomes more critical, even to the point you really want to go automated electronic.

My last post..... Dias should have been darks.

IPads are not the greatest at editing, auto spelling can also be a pain.

Again any questions just ask or PM if that facility is available.

Cheers Clive
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Clive, what a mine of great information you are - thank you. Astrophotography is something I have been interested in since I got my russian 6" newtonian 15 years ago, but never been able to dedicate my time on. Appreciate your tips

Chris
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes I'm really interested in this topic too and now starting to do something about it ever since I photographed the eclipse last month. Thanks for all your help Astronomer. I have copied your notes.