Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Meso's Photo's and chase reports

Enter here to see some stunning photography from our Australian Weather Forum members.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Meso's Photo's and chase reports

Post by Meso »

Made it down to the Great Ocean Road over the weekend and did a bit of a waterfall tour of The Otways. Here's some of the photo's I was happiest with...

Hopetoun Falls

Marriners Falls

Barham River (on the way to Marriners Falls)

Stevenson Falls

Beauchamp Falls

Erskine Falls

And no trip to the Great Ocean Road would be complete without taking in the sunset at The Twelve Apostles (pity there wasn't a little bit of cloud to make the sky a bit more interesting)

Plenty more on my RedBubble page if you can be bothered checking it out.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Very nice Greg, love Hopetoun Falls, have been there a few times and that is a cracker of a shot you've captured :)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

October 22nd, 2011 - Leichardt, Victoria

Well, what can I say, was certainly a memorable day for me. So apologies in advance for the long post. Just skip to the pics, if you want...I will probably ramble on a bit.

So began the day by waiting for storms pop up on radar as I had no idea where to target with all the uncertainty surrounding today's events or if there was even going to be any.

Once I saw the line develop out towards Horsham, I decided Newbridge area would be my best bet for an intercept. Almost made it to Newbridge when I was confronted with a wall of grey cloud with the odd CG darting out. As I couldn't make out any structure whatsoever and with the reports of hail from earlier in the day echoing in the back of my mind, I decided against punching through to see what I could find.

So, did a U-turn and headed back towards the Calder Hwy with the plan of pulling in to one of my favorite side road viewing areas between Marong and Bridgewater. As I got within about 2 or 3km's of my destination, I could make out some distinct low hanging cloud, but the trees lining the Highway meant I was only catching the occasional glimpse of it, so I really didn't know what I was in for...updraft base, guster, wall cloud?

Anyway, turned out to be what looked like a pretty standard gust front, but as it slowly boar down on me, this thing looked mean as hell! After about ten minutes of firing off photos, I was struck with massive outflow winds that nearly knocked me over and left me in no doubt that this thing meant business, so it was time to get out of there!

Usually in this situation, I would do the stupid thing and try outrun the storm back to Bendigo, which never turns out as planned! So, I tried something different and darted around the NE side of it and headed towards Bridgewater, which in the end saved me from get annihilated with hail and gave me a beautiful view of the back side of it as it headed east.

After soaking that up for a while and giving it time to get far enough ahead of me, so I wouldn't catch up to the core, I headed for home. I reach somewhere around Derby about 10km's north Marong and I am greeted with sheets of hail and leaf litter strewn everywhere, so of course, jumped out for more photos! Hail was roughly $2 coin size, but by my estimates would have been sitting there for close to 30 minutes before I came across it, so who knows how big they were before they begun to melt.

After that I'm thinking can this day get anymore crazy? As I got closer to Marong, the hail was piled up like snow and completely covering the roads, no lines visible, nothing. Unfortunately I couldn't get out for any photos of the hail there cause it was just way too slippery and getting pretty hazardous...they even had a cop car out there with a little warning thing on top of it! Well done to them for being on top of it.

And here are the photos, in the order things happened basically...

Been waiting ages to get a photo like this, massive storm isolated against blue sky. You can see the towers feeding it on the left.

Overshooting top...?

Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

December 23rd/24th, 2011 - Eastern Victoria

Didn't get up close to any storms, but saw some monsters from a distance and managed to finally shoot some decent lightning photos.

First couple are from the 23rd, looking at storms over the ranges from a distance...

Few from Phillip Island the next day, looking towards the storms in the E/NE...

Same line of storms still kicking on a few hours later, shot from near The Pinnacles....

And then we had a fantastic light show Christmas Eve, so a few bolts as the storm moved in from the west....

Spewing this was just outside the frame...

And few more distant ones as storms continue to go crazy towards the east...

Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

March 15th, 2012 - Severe Thunderstorms (West/Central Vic)

[youtube]lGSu69XxDe4[/youtube]
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

6th April, 2012 - Rye, Victoria

[youtube]7qKk4mxljnc[/youtube]
Last edited by Meso on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

22nd April, 2012 - Elmore/Goornong

Early on, looking for storms near Echuca, stuck on the back side the whole time though so nothing more interesting than a bit convection...

Then stumbled across this beautifully structured cell after spotting some lightning out the window near Elmore. Very nicely striated!

Went up for a closer look...

Some interesting scud...

Video screen grab of one of the CG's it threw out :D

Starting to get a bit messy as it got closer...

And a couple of lightning shots from near Goornong as it moved east. A few of the more distant clouds were lightning up every 2 or 3 secs, but they were just too far away to catch...

[youtube]BZldlyfO_Ng[/youtube]
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow you certainly have an awesome collection of photos Meso. Love the latest ones too. Love the colour of the late afternoon sun in the clouds.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Hello from Surfers Paradise were it's currently 16c and clear :) Am up on the Gold Coast for the week taking some time out. Today we decided to venture down in to northern NSW and check out some sights...stopped in at Byron Bay and caught this nice little front moving in...

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Lovely, what a nice vacation treat!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Fantastic, lucky find
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Few pics from recent adventures...

P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

Absolutely fantastic photos, Meso. Those earlier photos of convection and lightning, damn I'm missing good old high based summer storms with plenty of lightning. :(
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Some recent additions to the collection...

Stumbled across a nice little waterfall on the drive up to QLD from Victoria. The flow was a bit sucky, but still quite a nice spot.

Hickeys Falls, located 42 km south-west of Coonabarabran in NSW...

Lamington National Park...

Storms in SE QLD. Taken north of Boonah...

Video capture of one of the many bolts...

Lightning on the beach at Miami, unfortunatley was just a little too far out to sea to capture anything amazing...

And some lightning from Tuesday night in Lowood, bit better this time...

Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Finally got through processing all my photo and video from the November storm madness here in QLD!

November 12th (Oakey and surrounds) -

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/12th ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

November 14th (Windsor)

[youtube]v3daA0CHx04 [/youtube]

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/14th ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

November 15 (Mount Coot-tha)

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/15th ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

November 16 (Peak Crossing)

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/16th ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

November 23 (Near Moonie)

Storm #1

[youtube]xd5vzFYykY8 [/youtube]

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/23rd ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Storm #2

[youtube]3GyjzPMc5Vg [/youtube]

More - http://ozstorms.com/galleries/2013/23rd ... ueensland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Meso :) WOW! some absolutely awesome captures there!