Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Greg's Photos, Reports and creative thoughts

Enter here to see some stunning photography from our Australian Weather Forum members.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Greg's Photos, Reports and creative thoughts

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Been a bit slack here, so i thought i'd share a few photos. Some of you may have seen them on WZ or other various places.

A frosty morning -taken near Lake burley Griffen back in winter

A total lunar eclipse of the heart - taken a couple nights ago in one exposure with a torch

Storm on the Hay Plain 1 -taken about 3 weeks ago in western NSW

Storm on the Hay Plain 1

Bungendore Storm

Yellow Brick Road
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

It has been a recurring equation of the new years period over the past decade: new years = storms. Only 12 hours after the new years countdown had sounded it's voice, the nation's capital gave us a fireworks display that was completely spectacular and free.

Around midnight on the 1st/ 2nd of Jan 2 storms bore down on the city, horizontal winds and rain followed. I managed to move around Lake Burley Griffin during the 2 hours display, having been chased off by security and drunken teenagers from a couple vantage points earlier as the show begun. It was hard work, but i managed to pull off some Staccato lightning shots across the lake, (shot lived bright cloud to ground lightning) which make for the cleanest strikes to capture. But they can be hard to photograph; usually because they are infrequent, unpredictable and dangerous to be under as you never know when it will pop one out. I try to stay at a safe distance to these types of storms and use a longer focal length to be on the safe side.

Next time the city has a night event, i will try to make use of the local landmarks as foreground interest, i probably made a few bad calls but i guess you can learn from your mistakes.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Just some pics from the past few weeks....

Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Awesome captures as usual Greg. Love your work!
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Beautiful images Greg, just stunning.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Agree, stunning. Love the NYE lightning pics, nature did provide you with quite a show.
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Thanks a ton for your kind comments.

We haven't had a night show since NYE, and i would say it will be quite a few months before anything gets going again. Perhaps a few cold air storms once winter gets into gear. It's certainly full on Autumn though,
with probably only a week or 2 left with colour on the trees. They are starting to fall now, so i will be trying to capture what ever i can before it runs out.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

It's been such a looooong time since i've been on here, pretty sad actually. Thank goodness the storm season has arrived, albeit everywhere else than here in Canberra! Been looking at all your reports from up here, good to see you guys in Vic have kicked things off already.

Here are some images from some shoots over the past few months, just a few of my fav.... i hope to get out a bit more now that daylight savings is in play.

First one is shot from Sept up in Cairns where all my family reside in these days. Taken from Green Island, it's the first good sunrise that i'se seen up there in 8 years!!!! Usually i go up during xmas, so the whole eastern horizon is usually grey muck with the wet season.... even the storms up there are crappy imbedded things.

The colour in this shot only lasted for about 5mins, so i had to work quick. 17mm tilt shift as always, used a hard horizon grad filter, 3 stops to get this shot in one exposure. Aperture of f16. Pretty much straight off the camera, just some contrast adjustment on the foreground driftwood.

For total contrast, this one is from my local mountains, the Brindabellas. I'm totally spoilt having good snow cover within 45mins from my house, which growing up in Adelaide was nigh impossible, so it's still a novelty that will never probably rub off. I'd been looking for a good looking snow gum, and the hunt still continues actually, but this one is the best i've seen for a while. It holds bit of a special memory for me, my old man saw and played with snow for the very first time.... priceless.

Shot with 17mm, f16, iso 100.

This next one is a little dramatic. I was out looking for storm spotting location - something i do in the lead up to a storm season. Near to Canberra is Lake George, which is more like a massive natural drain for the area...... there's hardly ever water in it, just mud under a thin layer of crust. You don't want to drive you car on it.... that's for sure!!!!!
It be awesome of watching the whole life cycle of storms passing by, will def be doing time-lapse in this location. In the distance is the Bungendore wind farm.

Show with 17mm, f16, iso 100, hard grad filter fro expose in one go.... which also made the clouds look really dramatic:)

I've got a few more, but gotta run for now.... be back soon:) Have fun happy snappers!!!!!!!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

That first one is a winner mate! Love beach shots with a bit of foreground interest and the colors are fantastic. Really wish I was able to spend more time down the coast to try things like this out. Very nice.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Finally got some storm action, but only slim pickings though. I seriously need a weekend and storm outbreak to coincide for southern NSW. They seem to fall into weekdays.... sigh.

Anyway, picked up this cg hitting Tinderry Mountain Range on Wed evening. By this stage the storm was moving away to my east and this was the last visual bolt that i saw.

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

That's a keeper! very well done Greg, love how it splits just before it hits the ground
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

i really don't think we'll ever know why lightning chooses it's path, even at the last 100m - i mean why split there? It's such an elaborate mystery.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Love it Greg, as always you've outdone yourself. Good to see you around again too :thumbsup:
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow! fantastic lightning capture Greg. Well done!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Wow!!! :o

Great shot Greg & I love how the surrounding countryside is lit up & looks misty.
Though I don't think I would have wanted to be underneath that bolt - looks very nasty.
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Lily » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:06 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:Love it Greg, as always you've outdone yourself. Good to see you around again too :thumbsup:

Hey Lily, we've had such a sloooooow start to the season so far, pretty much everywhere else has been having all the fun. The best i've been able to do is help other people with updates as they hunt storms, which i'm happy to do of course, but just isn't the same as getting out there and seeing it for yourself.

And talk about Melb getting in the thick of it, wowweeee, you guys rock down there. It never ceases to amaze me how dedicated the Vic crew are, i guess that's why i miss ya all!

All the best, hopefully i'll have more images soon.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Just a selection of images from our epic flange fest on the 28th/29th here in canberra. I've finally taken the plunge and have made images available for purchase on my website: http://www.gregsoandso.com