Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Rikki Pool-Reports and Pics.

Enter here to see some stunning photography from our Australian Weather Forum members.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Rikki Pool-Reports and Pics.

Post by rikjpool »

Ok to start off there is a few I'll backtrack....

Tuesday Feb 9th...
Ok the first cell i saw when i arrived on the scene. This cell just stayed in the one spot for an easy 30min. So someone copped a belting .
505pm, looking over towards Mt Franklin.

This cell built and emptied in 20min. Quick fire 14mm over Taradale and started a small grass fire.

And the folloing pics are the cycle of the cell that hit bendigo. Time stamps on these are 6:12pm-6:18-and 6:46 at the high of the storm.

And a couple of tornado/landspout pics from the same day.
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Re: Rikki Pool-Reports and Pics.

Post by rikjpool »

Wednesday feb 10th.
Ok, this is looking West over towards Eppalock from Mcivor Highway Journaton. Nice wall cloud formed out of the leading edge, and a decent inflow tail. And the area of interest is to the right of the picture. If you can make out the scud that seemed to me at the time be rotating, and a couple times reaching the ground. However im not fully confident that this was a funnel, moreso just some intersting Scud playing with me. Interested to hear others thoughts on it. The clouds above were corkscrewing, Cg's strobing an pulsin every 2sec, along with a heap of greenage.

And again from a little further up the road, looking at it from a different angle, and about 10min from the first pic...

And if you look really careful managed to snag a cg remnant as well. Right side of pic.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

A couple from Thursday 11th Feb. Didnt have enough time to get out early, so i decided to corepunch the same storms that John and Brad got their tornado's in, this was at Axedale.

Ok. shots were taken as such...decide to core punch...strobing cg's all around... to dangerous to drive... pull over... :censored: that was close... pull camera out and stick it out window...wait... BANG!!!!!

And 100%crop

Shot at F9 - 1/80th Shutter time - ISO 200. Lens Open at a full 10mm!!!!!
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Sunday Jan 31st.

Ok this first pic is of one of the many vortices extending from the leading gust front. This one was at least 15meters wide and extended up into the scud itself.
(Boosted the contrast to bring out as much detail as possible) Taken from Sebation, Vic
Showing a portion of the outflow boundry with a small funnel underneath. Sebation, Vic
The guster coming across with straight line winds pushing up dust across the plains.Sebation, Vic
Looking SSW from bendigo of the same cell 15min later. Really stepped up the pace after the last photo.
The same cell, drawing your attention to the massive inflow band on the left hend side of the picture, at this point the entire structure was rotating at this point.
And a daytime cg from the second line that came through. Missed an amazing Stacatto bolt about 15sec after this. Axedale, Vic
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

And last one untill some new weather comes...

New Years Day 2010... who could have not liked this one!!!
Ok heres some pics... Explosive updraughts....

A couple more from New Years Day outbreak. :)

Explosive updraghts in front of an old shed..

A Rainbow on Sunset...

And a clickable 9 image 180Degree look at the explosive amount of storms. This is shot around 10min before the first pic. The tower in the middle of the shot is that same storm anviled out ten min later... Best viewed LARGE!!!

Another solid Updraugh with a wall cloud and small funnel.

A different cell with the same features.

And some lightning shots from it all as it moved away. I've been waiting for shots like these for a couple of years now. :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ohhhhhh, Rik, those last few... You've outdone yourself! :thumbsup:
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow! Awesome pics Rik :sun:
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

I almost forgot this one actually....

(12/01/10) seemed to come as a surprise (to me anyway) with severe cells popping up ahead of the nice cool/wind change. After 4 days over 40C's.
Was at my sisters house in Goornong when I heard a runble of thunder. Jumped inside and checked the radar, and unkowingly to me it was 2 hours behind for some reason. So i jumped on the weather forum, and everyone was like, whoa just got smashed, blah blah blah.... Sure enough I head out the front door and through the trees can a nasty lowering on a very nice rotating struture. Jumped in the car and after 10min of hooning down the highway I got to Elmore just as the cell went dark brown on radar. The following has been nearly 100% verified as a gustnado on an outflow boundry as the storm went over Elmore, bringing down trees across roads, flash flooding, and hail drifts... :)

And then as it dissapated after 5min...

Tried to chase this storm towards Shepparton, but this storm was moving in excess of 130kph! Talk about crazy steering winds.
Note: This is the same storm that brought down the powerlne towers in Broken Hill. Shots taken only 30min after the collapse of the towers...
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

And here's just a few randoms i though I'd put up, just cuz i can. :)

A Left mover on the 30th of Oct 2009. Taken at Bridgewater. This is from the southern side of the storm at it headed away from me.

A nice CC lights up the Collabin basin. Oct 31st 2009.

Some Solid Convection on the 11th November. 2009.

Flash Flooding in the Bendigo Creek on the 26th November 2009. The tent in there is a 6man tent that we fished out to make sure no one was in there. To give you an indication of the amount of water, it was running like this for 25min. The creek is 12meters wide by 3meters deep!!!
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

OMG! That second lightning shot in your last post looks sooooo good! Nice storm pictures.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Feb 27th 2010
Part 1
Ok, so my chase started out around 2:30pm. Was thinking of heading north to the cells around the echuca area, however the Heathcote cell grabbed my attention so pulled u-turn and decided to head back that way. As i neared Barnadown it suddenly kicked into gear and started to suck up scud right along the front of the storm.
If you look carefully enough you can see a wall cloud starting to form up already behind the scud in front and to the left.
I tore off down the road and got to just outside axedale to pull over and have another lok through the trees. At this point Karl rang me, and there were tendrils of scud scraping along the ground. I took a short video and some pics.
And then realised that I was needing to get on the other side of the campaspe river in order to follow this thing some more. |:/ So another u-turn.
By the time I had crossed the river and caught back up to it, it was doing another cycle, and was producing quite a nice inflow and hook. Note the intense Hail shaft on the back end.
Following along till I came to just outside Corop it started to get nasty. Scud started to go wild and a nice tinge of green was evident in the clouds. Cg's started to strobe out the core, which was one thing this cell was actually lacking up untill now.
As things started to speed up I realised I needed to move to keep up with it. This one was taken on the go...
And as I came up over the hill, i was greeted with a roaring cloud mass on the ground about 1km away to my east. These are taken with the 10mm sigma, The speed in which was moving was very surprising and I had to get out of there quick smart. I am 100% sure that is a Tornado. No ladspouts, no Scud, a fully fledged tornado.
Image.
Image.
Image.

Part 2 tomorrow, for now i need to get cleaned up and watch some tv with my fiance. :)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

This was the morning of Feb 27th.
Ok started off i set my internal alarm for 4am. Woke up at 3:55. :) Checked the radar to see the first cell popping out and becoming lightning active very quick. Spent about 15min scrambling around in the dark trying not to wake the fiance up looking for my keys and all my gear. Was undecided on wether to head due north and wait for it to come across or head NW and go straight to it. I decided on the later. And even though the stuff in the north is still going im extremely happy with what I have got.
When I arrive about 10km away mostly cc's for around 15 min. Then as it got closer a barrage of cg's.
It then died again and had to wait for another lot of CC's and spideys... Then another bout of Cg's came pelting down.

It then died off for a good 20min prob. I was thinking of moving north again when a lightning bolt behind me from a cell about 15km away lit up a fresh updraught in front of me. So i decided to wait it out another 10min. After some readjusting the camera to the hot spot, and waiting for about 5-8min a couple of cc's and then this...
The only cg from that tower. The sun by this point is starting to come up but to my surprise an isolated cell to left caught my attention after a massive positive cg cam hurtling down about 1km away. By the time i pulled my camera around and readjusted the settings to allow for the sun now directly in front of me i missed about 3 more. But did manage to get a couple at least.
And this one was just on the edge off the frame. Bummer.

The sun by this point was well and truley shining making it near impossible to have a shutter open for even 1sec. So back home i headed watching the stuff fire away to my north. :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Just awesome Rikki. What an amazing day you've had. Still can't get over your lightning pic hitting the wire fence across the road from you last week. Keep telling my friends about it :lighting:
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Part 2.
So after seeing and photographing the large Meso and Tornado I high tailed it out of there as it was heading striaght towards me. Getting back in front of it I came to the actual township of Corop, and found my way to an old walking trial on the outskirts of the dry Lakebed on the east side of the town. This was the view when I first arrived on the seen. Note the large inflow band and nice beaver tail on the left side of the pic.
At this point the storm to be becoming more outflow dominate. I have video footage of the wall cloud breaking up and pushing all the dust into the air, as well as it feeding the dust into the air. Footage to come. For now just more pictures.
Image.
I let the front of the storm pass over me, and got completley envoloped in the dust.
Image.
After this the rain started to pelt down, so back onto the road and waited for the cell to pass over. A quick little clip showing the rain from the rain foot going over me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNR37ooZpis
The back end of the cell was bubbling away quite nicely showing a lovely display of Mammatus, and another beaver tail. This was pulling moisture in from everywhere!
Closer look at the Beaver. Excuse the power pole.

Part 3

So after watching the Corop cell pass, I checked the radar to see a right a mover NE of Bendigo. I also noted another line forming up to my NE up towards Echuca. This was the view from my vantage point towards the stuff forming out over Echuca way. Huge anvil streaming back towards me.
SO I decided to head north to the Echuca line. On the way there I noticed this strange cloud formation i'm hopeing someone can help me with. It was part of the Corop cell that was dying at this point.
Managing to get infront of the cell that was intesifying on its way to Echuca, I pulled off onto a small side road to see where my next plan of attack was. The was the view I was greeted with then.
At this point it was hard to tell if the storm was heading towards me still (East) or heading more to the north. I waited it about 10min, then it became very clear that the storm was becoming very dominate on the NE side. So I rushed ahead down the road and turned to intercept. All of a sudden this thing turned mean. Was very green and Touquise looking, and Staccato Cg's were pulsing upto 10km ahead of the main complex. And these were big! 3 times I was driving down the road at around 120kph with my windows open, and I'd see a flash beside me with instantanous Crack of thunder that was so loud over the top of the road noise, it had to be within 50meter quite easily. The view I got when i rounded the corner was very impressive... it had turned into a giant Tourquise monster. The following 2 shots where taken whilst driving at 110kph, so they are a little on the blurry side sorry.
Rushing down the road another 5kms and I noticed a very well defined Wall cloud had dropped down on the right hand side of the picture just ahead of the main rain band. Pulsating twin CG's were going absolutley nutters at this point!
I found a road that headed a litle more north to my orriginal route and surged ahead another 3kms. Coming to a T intersection I got out to snap a very nice wall cloud.
At this point Jane and Clyve drove across in front of me. So nice to be caught in the middle of a chase on a lage storm, and someone with a lot more experience and know how on storms happen to turn up in the same area in the middle of nowhere. Just get that feeling that our onto something.
After this I decided to follow them around, but before we left we decided to wait it out and see what the precip was like. Clyve thinking there might be hail in there somewhere going by the colour of the sky wanted to go into the main core a bit more to find hail, not realising that it had already started to fall.
The following video shows the Hail starting to fall and then become rain envolped as it gets closer. Sorry about the quality, I took a few shortcuts in the uploading process and it downgraded the quality something shocking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4K0JFIN8Nw
After this we headed out of the storm hoping it would reform however it seemed to die shortly after this. So I decided to head back to bendigo after 400km's of chasing and being awake since 4am with the stuff in the morning.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

For those interested... Here is a map showing the route I took yesterday for the Tornado cell.
Location A: Photo's of the cell just before Karl rang me, with the scud tendrils touching the ground. 3:05pm
Location B: Photo's of the tornado taken here. 3:38pm
Location C: Photo's taken from dry lake bed of Lake Cooper of outflow guster coming overhead with all the dust. 4:15pm

Here's the link if you want to zoom anywhere.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 6&t=h&z=11

To give you an idea how localised the storm was Karl was around the Nagambie area on the road to Murchison.

Hope this gives a reasonable idea of the storms track and movment. From location A through to C was chasing this storm for a good hour. So the storm was moving roughly at only20kph.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Such an amazing and thorough report with pics and video. Fantastic Rikki! :applause:
M
Madmel
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Madmel »

Seriously Rikki you are brilliant! Swear your getting more bold as the weather gets extreme! LOL Great photo captures....and Karl your nuts as well LOL
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Haha, thanks Mel. :) Its good fun all this chasing and pictures stuff thats for sure. :)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Something a little bit different from me.
Bendigo has been invaded!!!! By fruit bats!!! haha. There's a colony set up in the trees in Bendigo CBD atm.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

And a couple of Bendigo Park area on sunset tonight...