Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Lake Eildon

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Lake Eildon

Post by Macedonian »

I dont think they are gonna let it officially hit 100%, it was 99.9% a while back. still, full is full and that is fantastic!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Probably a good idea to let a bit out this week Chris, looks like there could be 50-100mm rain up there in the next 2 weeks, so playing it safe at this stage I'd say.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Goulburn was fantastic this weekend just past, my son had a ball paddling around the rapids in it. They were releasing a bit more than they have in the last few months and the level was just right for some fun :D

I agree, Geoff, I think they may be erring on the side of caution somewhat, though you'd think they'd let it go that extra .2% or whatever it needed to just fill it for ONE day!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Thats what i would think too, Lily. They could do it just for us :D
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Blue Green

http://www.g-mwater.com.au/news/media-r ... ildon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

No way....not another summer with BG! I thought we may have escaped it this season with lower inflows than last.
Last edited by Blackie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh bugger, again? I thought we were out of the woods.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

All Clear on Blue Green...!

yeah we can have a swim, time to head up in the milder weather.. !

http://www.g-mwater.com.au/news/media-r ... alock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Yeah we were wondering what the fuss was about....water has been clear and clean...and a great temperature.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Eildon in the Sunday Age today...cute story about a house boating family

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/have-ho ... 1qbak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

An interesting observation, GM-W reports Lake Eildon rose 766 ml or 0.02% today on yesterday :o this after average weekly drops in recent weeks of 15-30 K ml. Instant results for the lake after 100mm + falls over the past few days and on a dry catchment.

B
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

It's been very quiet in this thread lately. I guess the new norm is a near full lake these days.

Anyway after reaching 99.9% last December (from memory) the lake level fell back to around 84% in April and today reached 90%.

Surly we can expect it to reach 100% by Spring, especially if some of these major rain events being tipped by Karl and AV eventuate.

B
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Wow, that's a big drop Blackie. Why so much? is that the normal seasonal fall-away or have they been carrying out their 'controlled releases'?
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Hi D, that drop of 16% during the irrigation season is actually relatively low due to lower requirement by farmers because of rain. During the drought years it wasn't uncommon for the lake to drop 20 or 30% over a season, if the water was available. Release levels have been high over April/May/June (up to 5000 ml/d) due to flood mitigation I would have thought...this at a time when normally there'd by perhaps 150 ml/d release for environmental flow.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Worth noting the significant rise of Eildon of the past few weeks and 3.5% during the last week alone. The catchment is soaked and with more rain expected for the area during the next week rapid rises should continue. Hoping the lake authority allow it to reach 100% this year.
fireone
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by fireone »

See Eildon is over 78% full as of last Sunday. With good rain last month and so far for August the catchment is now rather wet so any rain is
really making a difference. And it looks like significant rain next weekend!

Went up around 4% in a matter of days.

Alexandra had over a 100mm rain for July and around 70mm so far for August (13th) so after a very dry Autumn and early winter "things are a changing".
FIREONE, Alexandra. { North Central } Vic.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Worth noting that the last few days the lake has been filling at the rate of near 1% PER DAY!!! 10% in two weeks. Can't remember this happing at this rate before. Weekly inflow peak over the weeked at around !80,000 ML per week :o
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

It is looking really good for spring isn't it B?! I remember in September 2010, the lake had a daily inflow of 99,000ML, and about 250,000ML over 3 days! The lake filled about 10% in one week.

Considering we were looking at quite a modest filling season this winter, I have been very pleasantly surprised :)
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

The lake has bottomed out (hopefully!) at 69.87% and has recored a small rise this week. Hopefully with regular rain we'll see 100% by the end of the year. Level at this time last year was 71.55% so very similar.

B
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Arrived Monday Blackie, home wednesday, popped 2 markers in with 2 rocks next too them tuesday maybe mid morning,
then today after mid day popped in another 2 sticks with 2 rocks about 250mm lower that yesterdays, so bottoming out, uh oh..
still dropping from what I see.
Might see you up there.!