Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

NSW: Historical flooding events

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

NSW: Historical flooding events

Post by crikey »

This blog is written by a concerned citizen living near the Hawkesbury river in NSW

http://baliset.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/ ... od-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The map below shows the extent of the largest historical flood experienced in the Hawkesbury, in 1867. If you live around the Hawkesbury, there are two markers you need to visit. One is a nail in the outside wall of the Macquarie Arms pub at Windsor. A second is in the grounds of Windsor Public School. If you cast your eyes across from either of those points and use your imagination, you may get a sense of the scale of a major flood. The water reached that level in 1867. Now look at that map again. If you live in the Hawkesbury, there's a better than even chance that your home lays in that blue area, since our population is densest around Windsor, South Windsor, Bligh Park, Richmond and so on. And any flood will not have to be of the scale of the 1867 event to be catastrophic.
He provides a map showing the area that was impacted by the 1867 floods and discussion on a future scenario

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: NSW: Historical flooding events

Post by daviescr »

Absolutely remarkable event unfolding in ACT and NSW.
Just saw a report on the new 80m tall Cotter Dam - incomplete at around 40m high, is expected to overflow the building site tonight, and meanwhile the original dam it's replacing has just gone under for the first time in it's 100yr history.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Just saw this on facebook, taken at Adelong Falls yesterday by Ralph Newman. Simply astonishing!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks for the info crikey. I lived on the banks of The Hawkesbury river on a dairy farm at Wisemans Ferry back in the 50s and remember the great flood there in 1955 I think. We used to use the ferry to go to the general store and we were cut off for weeks. I remember watching our cows being washed away :(

Wow Chris that pic is amazing. My cousin lives in Richmond NSW and is posting photos of the height of the river under the Richmond bridge every 8 hours on facebook. The jetty went under yesterday.