Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Local Res's so full!

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Local Res's so full!

Post by WaterBaby »

Hello all! Long time no see! I've been reading alot but not posting. Still rather interested in what everyone has to say, particularly about the VIC side of things :)

I've just jumped onto the GMW website to have a look at the Loddon Catchment water storages... My eyes nearly popped out of my head! Cairn Curran - 97%, Tullaroop - 100.8%, Laanecoorie - 101.6%.
I cannot believe that after last years and earlier this years events (granted they were pretty unbelievable), that they would even consider keeping these reservoirs at such high levels. Is there a particular reasoning behind this that anyone knows about? It's not going to take some sort of MASSIVE rain episode for these to begin spilling again and most locals around here are constantly thinking about it.

It was this time last year that we had our first flood. Had the pack the kids and clothes and evacuate rather quickly before our house was isolated for near on a week. Obviously I'm going to be a tad on edge when we get an rain around this time of the year and the next few months...
I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this forum. There is always such wonderful knowledge to be read and it gives us a greater change of preparedness should the unthinkable happen again.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Local Res's so full!

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi WaterBaby :) Glad you're keeping well. Yes let's hope they can drop those levels if there is any sign that floods may occur again. You are in a pretty low lying area there. Good luck!
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Well lets just hope we get a drought for 2-3 years, the local authorities sure are'nt doing anything about water levels. Probably just "hoping" we don't get serious rains (75mm-100mm) over the coming weeks, but hey they know more than us don't they. :roll: :roll: Tullaroop over 100% is a real concern with no control over water flow out of it and no flood mitigation built in.

Rhino. :) :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

With the threat of La Nina redeveloping and a greater chance of heavy bursts of rain coming into spring and summer, there would be a lot of concern for flash flood events in this area, particularly if we do get a build up of reasonable rainfall over the coming month or so leading into storm season.

Something to keep an eye on.

I think for now, enjoy the drying out of the place because it won't last long and this short term little dry spell will break.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WaterBaby »

Thanks so much for your replies! I really don't understand the water authorities reasonings behind these sorts of levels. I guess if any of them had any vested interest in the area it perhaps might be different.

Will be keeping a very close eye on the weather and things to come in the next few months. My FIL and I are already in discussion about summer being wet and another La Nina.... let's hope it's not as bad as expected.
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

This is the time of year that the water storages should be full. They are built to store water. Catch it in high flow periods and release in low flow periods. Additionally I can't see how the water managers have done anything wrong. Full dams don't cause floods. In the event of a big rain event, any flow going over the spill way is the same as what would come down the river if the dam didn't exist.
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WaterBaby »

eegs you obviously don't know what happened down here this time last year. These reservoirs only need a trickle of rain before they spill and the rivers only need to rise maybe 2-3 metres before we see the effects where I am. The authorities down here don't let any water out until it's too late and then the river system cannot cope. It happened 3 times last year and the only reason September's flood wasn't as huge was because the reservoirs were empty, so they didn't release huge amounts.
It's not a good idea for them to be this full with forecasts of a wet summer for anyone in this catchment.
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

hi Waterbaby,
I'm right up to speed with last year's floods. Check out my work locations - they are Emerald and St George in Qld and I haven't even included our Brisbane operation! We got absolutely smashed and are again suffering the effects this season. My point is that if the dams didn't exist, the same amount of floodwater would impact the area after a big rain event. Much as we may like to point the finger we can hardly blame the authorities for causing floods.

Anyway let's hope we're spared that grief this year and again for some time (although the authority in Emerald has advised of ongoing high alert)

Cheers and good luck
Eegs
B
BigBen
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BigBen »

100% full dams are ecactly like they don't exist. All the rainfall and subsequent river flow happens immediately thus a flood.

80% full dams mean that the dam gets to fill 20% before they spill, the rivers stay flooded longer but the level of the floods are lower as not all teh water is trying to rush downstream at once.

The fact is that the dams are there and smart operators (like those that built wivenhoe with flood mitigation in mind) can ease the flood situation by release water from the dams before a big rain event. If the operators fail to take adequate precautions I reckon teh finger of blame should be pointed there way.

Note this is not a judgement on the Brisbane floods, I'm just looking at the victorian situation.
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WaterBaby »

BigBen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am wrote:
BigBen wrote:100% full dams are ecactly like they don't exist. All the rainfall and subsequent river flow happens immediately thus a flood.

80% full dams mean that the dam gets to fill 20% before they spill, the rivers stay flooded longer but the level of the floods are lower as not all teh water is trying to rush downstream at once.

The fact is that the dams are there and smart operators (like those that built wivenhoe with flood mitigation in mind) can ease the flood situation by release water from the dams before a big rain event. If the operators fail to take adequate precautions I reckon teh finger of blame should be pointed there way.

Note this is not a judgement on the Brisbane floods, I'm just looking at the victorian situation.
:D Thanks for explaining that in a way I couldn't.