Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Typhoon Haiyan

All international weather archives can be found here.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Typhoon Haiyan

Post by I_Love_Storms »

We need a topic for this historic Typhoon so here it is.

Haiyan is the strongest storm on earth in over 30 years, with sustained winds of 195mph and gusts of up to 235mph in the eye wall.

It has apparently made landfall in the Central Philippines however exact data and observations are hard to come by at this point in time.

I will try to update throughout the day.

Image from Slate.com (courtesy of NASA)

I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Typhoon Haiyan

Post by I_Love_Storms »

The most powerful storm in the world this year has made landfall over the central Philippines, where mass evacuations have been ordered.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) says Super Typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, made landfall at 4.40am local time over Guiuan, Eastern Samar in Philippines.

It says the storm has winds of 235 kilometres an hour near the centre and gusts of up to 275 kilometres an hour.

Ten million people are estimated to be in the path of the typhoon, and half-a-million people have already been evacuated.

Authorities say the typhoon could cause major damage across a vast area of the central and southern Philippines.

"This is a very dangerous typhoon," state weather forecaster Glaiza Escullar said.

"There are not too many mountains on its path to deflect the force of impact, making it more dangerous.

"Local officials know where the vulnerable areas are and have given instructions on evacuations."

In Bohol province, 5,000 people living in tents after they lost their homes in a magnitude 7.2 earthquake last month have been moved to temporary shelters.

At least 1,000 people on an island off Masbate province have been marooned by stormy weather and large waves reaching seven meters high.

Schools in the capital Manila have been closed and university classes cancelled.

More here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-08/a ... es/5078216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks ILS, here's some more info

http://beforeitsnews.com/weather/2013/1 ... 41868.html

I'm sure there will be a lot of footage on the news tonight
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Yes, probably even more tomorrow morning. It is to be expected that limited info will be flowing from the worst hit areas in the immediate aftermath. The worry is the low lying nature of island areas when a storm like this hits. Potentially catastrophic I am thinking, with the main issues obviously the wind as well as the storm surge. Looked like a brutal core and last time I looked sustained winds were still around 180mph with the core only getting a little smaller when first hitting land. Latest from the Joint Advisory service from NASA indicated that the storm would maintain strength over next 24 hours due to the 'extremely favourable atmospheric conditions'.