Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Lingering trough then strong front: March 4-8

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Lingering trough then strong front: March 4-8

Post by hillybilly »

16mm at Ferny Creek, 12mm at Walkerville. Both very welcome. Shame everyone didn’t get a drink :(

Nearly 20mm at our local AWS. Got some ripper photos of coldies over Bass Strait which I’ll link late. Ran into a great hail storm near Kilcunda. Also bit of snow at Baw Baw where they’ve had nearly 25mm today which will be good for the cluster of fires in that area, though missed the fires further east.

Decent looking trough for this coming Sunday and another strong front for Tuesday so hopefully some follow-up.
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

Only follow up for people like yourself HB, in the prime spot.
Most will just have to wait :x .
hooroo Chris
Er, the growly face is for the weather :D
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Nothing much here apart from a few drops and a dust storm this afternoon...
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Finished with 6.1mm here. We struck it lucky, as many areas nearby were around 2-3mm. A particularly heavy shower overnight coupled with some drizzle seemed to work in our favour locally. Only reached 16c here today and currently a pleasant 11c.

I agree about the drought not being unprecedented. Certainly for this area and most of Melbourne, there have been a number of other years with very low rainfall in January and February. But the impact depends a lot on heat and whether it follows a period of good rain or months of low rainfall. For us, this year has been worse than the flash drought last year given that last year it was cooler overall, and came after above average rain in January. The landscape is more visibly parched and trees are more stressed this year than last year, with the record heat having a lot to do with intensifying it’s effects. Just have to hope it’s only a shirt-term drought and better conditions come along soon.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Hawker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 pm Only follow up for people like yourself HB, in the prime spot.
Most will just have to wait :x .
hooroo Chris
Er, the growly face is for the weather :D
Yeah sucks :( We sneak a lot of fall here, when it’s marginal. Same goes for Walkerville which is on a 100-150m hill pointing into Bass Strait (and with the Otways upstream which tends to trigger the start of convection which then grows as it crosses south of the Bay Heads).

Weekend looks good in GFS3 and CMC. There’s a very good infeed coming in from the Indian Ocean, so comes down to Synoptics. EC ok, but mainly favouring southern areas again.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Bit Chilly this morning below 10c in most suburbs. Ballarat were I am moving to tomorrow got down to 1.3c this morning.
Bit of a change from the first 3 days of the month when it never got under 20c.
Had my first Rain here for 3 weeks yesterday but it was only 2mm's. :(
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

First Frost :D
20190307_080550.jpg
20190307_080550.jpg (950.3 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Amazing to see frosts - it was a heatwave only a few days ago! Down to 5.9c here. No frost, but feels very chilly after having become used to 30+ heat.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Min of 3.2 in Wallan, no recordable rain
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

It was a rounded -1C in Trentham this morning.
Early frost is often a result of very dry weather.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Frost here too, or at least in the valley below our house.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Chilly on the bike this morning here too, although no frost thank god.
May need to get my hands on some arm warmers for days like this (cold morning, warm afternoon).

The arrival of 6 months of dry, cold, uneventful, boring winter crap is almost upon us. :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Skywalker wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:05 am Chilly on the bike this morning here too, although no frost thank god.
May need to get my hands on some arm warmers for days like this (cold morning, warm afternoon).

The arrival of 6 months of dry, cold, uneventful, boring winter crap is almost upon us. :(

I was in Avalon the other day...confirmed why I wouldn't live in the western 'burbs. It's the Sahara :D
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Skywalker wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:05 am Chilly on the bike this morning here too, although no frost thank god.

As opposed to dry hot uneventful boring summer. 😃
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Macedonian wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm As opposed to dry hot uneventful boring summer.
At least I can enjoy the outdoors during the warmer months, with the added bonus of quality time at the beach. :)
As for winter, well I live in the western suburbs so my dislike for it is pretty self explanatory when you think about it.
If I lived in your part of the world, or HB's for that matter my feeling's would probably be reversed, and I'd become a winter lover too.
stevco123 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:35 am I was in Avalon the other day...confirmed why I wouldn't live in the western 'burbs. It's the Sahara

Yep, it's sure is. One of the many reasons why I hate living here. It's all my wife's fault. :P
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Bit of fun, but very relevant, can you guess which one is Avalon, and which is Hamadat al-Hamrah, Sahara Desert, Libya??? :D :D :D
Attachments
compare.png
compare.png (714.35 KiB) Viewed 7344 times
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

stevco123 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm Bit of fun, but very relevant, can you guess which one is Avalon, and which is Hamadat al-Hamrah, Sahara Desert, Libya??? :D :D :D
Lmao, that's gold. Love it. :D
I should do a "compare the two" with my two properties, Cowes & Burnside Heights side by side. ;)

Quite pleasant outside now so should be perfect conditions for the ride home.
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

stevco123 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm Bit of fun, but very relevant, can you guess which one is Avalon, and which is Hamadat al-Hamrah, Sahara Desert, Libya??? :D :D :D
Welcome to the Desert Country my friend :D. This is a daily norm for us out here, in my books it's an arid climate west of the Melbourne CBD most years.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

At least there's a beautiful blue sky! IMO, there's nothing more ugly than when everything is dead and brown and coupled with an overcast sky :)

Re. the drought. No one said unprecedented. But as people have mentioned, the heat has made it far worse than usual. It's sucking the life out of our countryside. 2c above average this summer meant that 'average' rain just wasn't sufficient, herein lies the problem. The two swathes of the county with average mean rainfall are unique. One was an unprecedented downpour, the other is an area where 'mean' rainfall is very low. Chuck in one or two rain bearing systems and you have average in those places. I just wish the drivers would align and give us back some reliability. No drought, no massive floods, just some productive, much needed weather.

Scored 4mm the other night. Not much but better than nothing I suppose.

I'll try and be more positive :cry:
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

The first big injection of moisture in WA in a long time - it's a very good sign. Unfortunately it won't link up to any front for us but at least we are seeing moisture upstream air flow for once. Here is hoping for some big NW cloud bands to bring steady rain over the rest of Autumn. Too heavy would pollute the rivers with ash.