Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: First week of Feb 2019 - A break in the pattern, hot then showers/storms

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC: First week of Feb 2019 - A break in the pattern, hot then showers/storms

Post by snowfall »

That area of rain just to our west is moving so slowly while also weakening. Really tricky to tell how much rain we’ll end up with by the time it comes across. Some good storms to our south though. Currently 23c (DP 16c) and a gusty SW wind.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC: First week of Feb 2019 - A break in the pattern, hot then showers/storms

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Little burst just to the NW of the city, hopefully that can make it here. Convergence zone pretty much over us currently.

Looking towards bay from our place, just black!

EDIT: Good view of some lightning now, and hear thunder. Scuddy stuff swirling around.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Been watching a ripper develop to my NW (around the airport) moving this way. Heaps of flangs, thunder and huge drops now falling!! Sitting on the convergence of the E and SW winds.

EDIT: Appears to be some rotation in the scud, exciting
Go the bombersss!
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

nafets wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm Been watching a ripper develop to my NW (around the airport) moving this way. Heaps of flangs, thunder and huge drops now falling!! Sitting on the convergence of the E and SW winds.

EDIT: Appears to be some rotation in the scud, exciting
Airport closed, everyone holding.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Really black to my northwest now with that cell going up north of the city. Looks mean. Has a solid line on its northern side which looks like it is about to explode. Another frame or two on the radar will say a lot. Getting rumbles here now, but still at least thirty minutes away. Meanwhile easterly is really blowing so that complex is still drawing in plenty of infeed.

EDIT> gone black on its top edge :o
J
Jezza
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Jezza »

Big storm incoming.
Attachments
IMG_5074.PNG
IMG_5074.PNG (483.64 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

The constant inflow on the northern side of this cluster around Melbourne is formidable.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Report of 20 cent piece size hail at moreland, cars on ring road smashed to pieces. (20 cent ones I guess)
J
Jezza
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Jezza »

mick wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm Report of 20 cent piece size hail at moreland, cars on ring road smashed to pieces. (20 cent ones I guess)
I hope my car can withstand it if it comes my way.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

ImageWell this looks a bit scary ! From Brighton
Attachments
Storm over Brighton
Storm over Brighton
9D3C631A-8FAB-4479-9519-531FA1B4F6EB.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 8658 times
Last edited by jimmyay on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Now up to 14mm with soaking rain. Might get close to 20mm.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Great pic Jimmy
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

That cell north of the city seems to have split into a left mover and a right mover :o One half moving into the northeast burbs the other half into the southwest burbs.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Moderate to heavy rain here now, and a bit of thunder. 4mm so far. Storms in Melbourne looking quite fierce from the radar.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

The sky looks menacing but the radar doesn't? Down this way at least.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Got strong rotation under the leading edge of that cell here. Never seen anything like it up here. Feels like the apocalypse is about to unfold, but might not come to anything :?:
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Flight Radar has some pretty loops.. fair amount of traffic stuck in the sky.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

hillybilly wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:00 pm Got strong rotation under the leading edge of that cell here. Never seen anything like it up here. Feels like the apocalypse is about to unfold, but might not come to anything :?:
On the radar, it's barely moving. I have no idea what to make of it, as I said, the sky is scary and black but the radar isn't showing anything impressive?

Interesting :)

Edit: went out and had a look at the clouds and they're stationary

Second edit: there's a sudden smell to the air, humidity has spiked and the rumbles are lasting longer
Last edited by Sean on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J
Jezza
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Jezza »

This is certainly reminiscent to what happened on that Friday afternoon in mid-December.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

jimmyay wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm ImageWell this looks a bit scary ! From Brighton
I photographed similar up here :D