Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold front sequence/cold outbreak Sunday July 29 - August 2nd

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Cold front sequence/cold outbreak Sunday July 29 - August 2nd

Post by snowfall »

Managed a brief snowfall here last September, but otherwise a lot of factors need to come together to do it for us given we're only about 350m above sea level. The other thing is that if it's going to happen, it will be most likely overnight or in the early hours of the morning when the temp gets that bit colder, so I need to be awake to see it!

Some decent showers have been passing through this afternoon. Currently 5.8c and 6mm. A few strong wind gusts, but nothing especially windy yet.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Just recorded my highest wind speed of 49 km/h. Unfortunately my little WS doesn't do gusts
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

JasmineStorm wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:43 pm When was the last official snowfall in Metro Melbourne excluding Dandenongs. Was it June 25, 1986 ?
This was the only time I've personally experienced snowfall in Metro Melbourne. It was a very long time ago, but I still remember it well. I was in grade 6 back in Epping and we were all looking out our classroom window enjoying the rare spectacle. I also had junior footy training that night, and it was fair to say that it was very quickly cancelled after the first 10 minutes. :P
stevco123 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:11 pm In saying that, it would be good to get some excitement this 'winter'.
Yes it would certainly make a nice change out here in the western winter boredom zone.

Back to today's conditions, more bloody wind here with a few passing showers quickly pushing through. Nothing worth of note total wise.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

JS, lived in Kyneton possibly early 80's was amazing to wake to the massive amount of snow.

Today its hard to knock that chill out of the body after being at kids football.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Just copped hail here. Up to 6mm this weekend.

June 23, 1981 was another memorable snow event. Very heavy snow along the Northern slopes of the Divide in Vic. Snow reported as far North as Mysia near Boort.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Those showers really are struggling atm. They look ok on radar and out the window, but only 0.4mm so far here, and pretty similar across the metro. They look a bit punchier to the southwest so maybe soon to pick up.

> On snow, we still get it around 3-5 times a year but those heavy falls just don’t happen like they used too. We’ve had a few falls around a cm the last five years but have to go back to 2008 for anything decent. It’s the trend that’s really killed it. We get plenty of sleet or cold rain days with temps around 4C, including a couple this year. They used to be 2-3C events and bang you go from rainy slush to proper snow. Places like Trentham are have a 150m more elevation than here which makes all the difference. I still anticipate getting the occasional proper fall, but ten years is a long time between events. Our previous neighbours used to have cross country skies in the basement which tells you how often they got a cover up here. They moved up here in the 1920s.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Watching the Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide game on TV from Ballarat. Impressive backdrop with black clouds looming.
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Massive radar overestimate here. We should've been getting smashed in the last 30 mins on the peninsula with green and yellow bit didn't even rain wtf?
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

The showers may be coming from the South West but the surface winds are still NW which undercuts them with relatively dryer land air. Seen this many times and today it's certainly doing it's thing. Otway and Macedon also in the mix creating subsidence in the turbulent air flow wake.

Don't expect anything decent in terms of rainfall. Gippsland look ok. That wrap around might clip Wilson's prom on it's current trajectory.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Clearing now with a grand total of 4.2mm. Cripes, that’s crazy for winter with such a strong front. Max of 8C.

Progs all had 10-25mm here so another fail :roll:

Not much likely now til next front on Tuesday arvo.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

13mm here yesterday & today; 78mm mtd, 4mm to make our monthly average... can we do it?

Temps almost bang on average for the month here; will probably finish slightly below. Hard to believe things are so different in the Dandenongs when normally it's the reverse :(.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Smells like an el nino now. I might take the CFA's prediction of a bad summer ahead serious for once.

When fronts are few and far between, and the ones that come don't deliver, you know it's shaping up to be a potentially dry spring and summer.

Mind you, it's been about 8 years since the last drought ended (i know areas further north are in a desperate situation and the comments above only apply to my local area)
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Macedonian wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:57 pm There was snow reported in 1995, my partner worked in Collingwood and saw it there.

Hope we do get some snow flurries tomorrow. Ive got friends from the city coming up for a mid-winter lunch and it would be a treat to have a bit of snow whilst they are here. What time do you think that might happen HB?
We had a few brief snow flurries here this arvo whilst our city friends were here for lunch. It was fun to see their reactions.

We still get reasonably good settled snow here a few times a year. Two winters ago we had 7cm on the ground and closed roads and no work. Three winters ago i counted 22 days with snow falling and about 5 of those had a settled cover.
This year we have had one proper settled fall of 1cm. Still plenty of time for more, august and early to mid sept can certainly deliver.
Coldest max so far this winter has been 1.9C.
Still, its nothing like local old timers recall.
We are too far down the AGW road for anything regular or substantial to low levels.
The other week when we had the 1cm settled it was only us and the two adjoining properties heading down Mt Macedon Rd. Nothing at all under about 830m.
It mustve been amazing here in the old days.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Was certain that I'd break average today. Well, it wasn't to be.. The showers didn't seem to have anything in them. Looks it for tonight, save for the wind.

Fairly disappointing, but what's new.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Sean wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 pm Was certain that I'd break average today. Well, it wasn't to be.. The showers didn't seem to have anything in them. Looks it for tonight, save for the wind.

Fairly disappointing, but what's new.
Yep getting used to this
Unfortunately my prediction is coming true
It's an escalating global problem with large areas of Europe in crisis and also the USA that will lead to global food shortages
Happy days 🙃
On a positive note for mad Monday
The southern ocean looks like delivering again at the end of next week
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Just off Wilson Prom on Hogan Island had a gust of 150 km/h and sustained winds of 120 km/h for a few hours last night. In the tropics this would be regarded as a category 3 TC on the Oz scale :) The main low dragged the wrap around SW attack slightly south than some models predicted meaning the Mornington peninsula dodged a bullet.
Attachments
Hogan Island obs.jpg
Hogan Island obs.jpg (361.7 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rain from 9am Sun: Mt Read 57mm, Cradle Mtn 36mm, Mt Victoria 31mm, Scottsdale 14mm, Launceston 12mm, Deloraine 11mm, Wynyard 10mm.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Geez terrifying winds there JS and big totals for Tassie. Really getting wet in the west in particular.

Another mm here in the wee hours so 79mm mtd.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

tipped out 2.6mm NO.. wasnt very excited..
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

0.6mm in the gauge this morning. Makes 4.4mm for the event. Foggy here now with warm air advection kicked in.

Next front for tomorrow, then looks like a long run of westerly systems, mostly peaking to our west. New thread, I guess.