Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Major low and possible cold outbreak: May 7-14 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Major low and possible cold outbreak : May 7-14

Post by Tassiedave »

Rainfall in Tas since 9am: Buckland 106mm, Nugent 88 mm, Triabunna 84 mm, Maria Island 81mm, Grove 42mm, Swansea 31 mm, Hobart 26 mm, Deddington 15mm, Launceston 5.6mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Latest GFS looking good for central areas and Gippsland next 36 hours. Widespread 25-50mm central, and into the hundreds locally in Gippsland. Looks to get to over the divide so hopefully a bit for the north.

We get an impressive wrap around with strong warm air advection. The 850Ts jump from -2 to -3C currently to about 4-6C tomorrow arvo.

http://stormcast.com.au/stormcast.html? ... :null:0#sc
Rainfall in Tas since 9am: Buckland 106mm, Nugent 88 mm, Triabunna 84 mm, Maria Island 81mm, Grove 42mm, Swansea 31 mm, Hobart 26 mm, Deddington 15mm, Launceston 5.6mm
Starting to get impressive. Plenty more to come.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

So when is the wind going to pick up? Nothing much here so far.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Freezing levels rising, moisture advection machine starting to crank in bass strait and Tasman, pressure gradient tightening on 2 lows....it's about to get real :)
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Wilko wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 pm Geez Melbourne must be the great wonder of the world for meteorologists
If you can learn your craft here then anywhere else in the whole wide world must be Pour easy.
Topography, Tassie, Ranges north of Melbourne
Competing weather systems and god knows what else.
Radar looking good
Add Arthurs Seat/Red Hill to that list, have been rainshadowed in Safety Beach all day and looks like its about to happen again with the next band coming along the Bass Straight conveyor belt :x :x
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Oh seriously? Not again. For the umpteenth time today the rainband is breaking up before getting here.

Watch it redevelop now as soon as it goes north of Cranbourne
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

stevco123 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 pm Oh seriously? Not again. For the umpteenth time today the rainband is breaking up before getting here.

Watch it redevelop now as soon as it goes north of Cranbourne
We have same problem with this direction
Not expecting over 10mm here unless something changes
H
Hunter1890
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hunter1890 »

Hobart wow... Just wow. They may clock the ton here. Officially their highest May daily rainfall on record. Could they break the all time record of 156 mm... ;)

EDIT/ Surely flooding in Hobart right now.

Interesting phenomenon with the rainbands splitting. I'd assume it may be from the weakening area of circulation over South Gippsland? Where the right turner is dragged into there and the left turner is just steered by the uppers? I could watch this system with intent all night but sleep is required :(
-Budding Climate Nerd-
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Hunter1890 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 pm Hobart wow... Just wow. They may clock the ton here. Officially their highest May daily rainfall on record. Could they break the all time record of 156 mm... ;)

EDIT/ Surely flooding in Hobart right now.

Interesting phenomenon with the rainbands splitting. I'd assume it may be from the weakening area of circulation over South Gippsland? Where the right turner is dragged into there and the left turner is just steered by the uppers? I could watch this system with intent all night but sleep is required :(
Where's Tassiedave?? We need an update. The rainfall rate is almost landslip provoking.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Absolute chaos in Hobart. 52 mm in the last 2 hours. Lots of flooding according to my daughter who attends Tas Uni!!
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Tassiedave wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 pm Absolute chaos in Hobart. 52 mm in the last 2 hours. Lots of flooding according to my daughter who attends Tas Uni!!
91mm and counting
H
Hunter1890
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hunter1890 »

This is just berserk. My cousin has just flown over from Hobart and when I told her what is currently happening there she couldn't believe she was missing it! 5000 odd without power now and rising.

Hopefully those storms track a little further south :S this is becoming quite serious. Hope your daughter stays safe and dry TD!
-Budding Climate Nerd-
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Meanwhile, Melbourne's forecast get's more boring. Now up to 15c forecasted tomorrow. Wanted a real cold, gloomy day.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Sean wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm Meanwhile, Melbourne's forecast get's more boring. Now up to 15c forecasted tomorrow. Wanted a real cold, gloomy day.
Unfortunately was not gonna happen. Temp was due to rise tomorrow night but everything has been moved earlier.

Will be quite cold in the morning then temp will skyrocket

I'm going for a rainy night tonight (if we're lucky) and then fine day tomorrow followed by a little rain late afternoon.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
H
Hunter1890
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hunter1890 »

Reports coming in of some serious flash flooding in Hobart. Cars being washed down streets. Houses innundated. Wettest Hobart day in 58 years and I daresay they have never experienced a period of rain like this in recorded history
-Budding Climate Nerd-
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Hunter1890 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 pm Reports coming in of some serious flash flooding in Hobart. Cars being washed down streets. Houses innundated. Wettest Hobart day in 58 years and I daresay they have never experienced a period of rain like this in recorded history
It's incredible and quite scary! What was Hobarts forecast from BOM, were they expecting this much rainfall?
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Incredible rain in Hobart - now up 95mm! Wind is starting to pick up here and some beefy showers showing up on the radar. Looks like Ballarat is getting a bit of a drenching right now.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

WeatherViewer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:13 am
Hunter1890 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 pm Reports coming in of some serious flash flooding in Hobart. Cars being washed down streets. Houses innundated. Wettest Hobart day in 58 years and I daresay they have never experienced a period of rain like this in recorded history
It's incredible and quite scary! What was Hobarts forecast from BOM, were they expecting this much rainfall?
They were forecast for 15-40mm, so they’re getting way more than forecast.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

In shock about the Hobart rain totals...104mm now!
Go the bombersss!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Who would've thought Hobart's weather is more interesting than Melbourne's... I feel sorry for them. Looks really bad on Facebook and the BOM's website.