Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VICTORIA: Cold fronts - 18 to 20 March 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold fronts 18-20 March

Post by Onetahuti »

The heaviest fall I have recorded since 30/1/18, 1.6mm, in line with 'my' forecast :P of early this morning, pity I didn't underestimate would have been delighted to have been wrong. Peak wind gust of 60 km/h @ 12:44PM.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

OMG .5 that’s 0.5 mm here
The House is nearly underwater and the family (dog incl) are on the rooftop waiting to be rescued
I’ve never seen it rain so hard for that 3 seconds :o
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Bizarre day here. Quite a few short-lived spit and spat showers, but sufficiently sparse not to register in the tip bucket gauge at all! Evaporation rate must have been quite high, so the gauge continually dried out before any flow could make it's way down. So officially nothing here, but not too surprising as we're currently stuck in a drought pattern and the prospects were never looking great. Still very windy here.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

JasmineStorm wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:30 pm As HB has mentioned earlier, something might be brewing from next weekend. http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 02#p104602
Really hope next weekend delivers something decent! Probably our best prospects for a couple of months, assuming the ridge weakens.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

1.4mm here today. As has been the way for nearly two months pick the driest model and it will be right :roll: Radar looked good for a while, but too fast and too narrow to amount to much.

Filthy afternoon with squalls and dry air. Cool weather, but gee fires would run in this weather.

Walked in the National Park this morning. Looks terrible. Tree ferns in terrible shape, with most the understorey drooping, dying or dead. Another week of mostly dry ahead. Some of the slopes are seeing all the gumtrees drop their leaves now. Whole patches 10s metres across where the rainless weather has just got too much.

Like to think next week will deliver, but am expecting another fizzer at this point :o
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

That shocking wind finally seems to be easing.
Just 1.0mm's this morning so I still have not had more than 1mm in a day since 30-01-18.
BOM going for 2 to 8mm's next Saturday so probably be 2mm if that. :x
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Jake Smethurst - Not looking good down there unfortunately. It's where I grew up and went to school (Cooriemungle/Simpson/Timboon/Camperdown), plenty of friends and family being affected tonight, I just hope they are all okay! My mum and sister have evacuated to Port Campbell with other family and friends, while my dad has stayed on the farm for now. I was meant to be down there tonight but had a last minute change of plans ...
Jake I hope everything turned out ok for your friends and family. It's such a scary thing to go through. Thinking of you
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Streets absolutely littered with branches and leaves after today's wind, made worse by drought stress, I'd imagine.

Actually saw moisture on the ground earlier on :o :o :o :o Had to have been 0.2mm at least!

Even if we do manage to score some actual rain next Sat, that's still ANOTHER week of dry weather and warm, sunny days.

This is getting so damn old. At least this wind broke the monotony somewhat, but I still hate it.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

No rain at all here yesterday, but I am experiencing the first of those classic North East cold mornings, just 2 degrees here this morning! (that also appears to be just 0.7 above the coldest minimum record for either the old Wangaratta gauge or the newer Airport gauge (records since 1957), pretty remarkable after the heat this month!)
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

No rain at all here yesterday, but I am experiencing the first of those classic North East cold mornings, just 2 degrees here this morning! (that also appears to be just 0.7 above the coldest minimum record for either the old Wangaratta gauge or the newer Airport gauge (records since 1957), pretty remarkable after the heat this month!)
Bit of a drought signal there ??? with the temps falling through the floor when the sun goes down. Was a cooler night in FC and had the fire going this morning (in part to burn off some of the leaves and bark which littered the garden.

Weak front tonight might be worth a mm (or two if you are lucky) in southern and mountain areas.

Progs firming up for the weekend. Looks more like a central and eastern Vic event, but quite a variation across the models. EC has nearly 100mm for FC, so fingers crossed for that scenario ;) ATM probably the best system I've seen in the models for two months, so gotta be our best chance to ease the intense dry.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

A bit of actual noisy-on-the-roof rain here yesterday (as opposed to drizzle), but so brief, we still only managed 0.5mm.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Well well well, it's. It quiet rain rain, but the ground is wet,
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Proper rain here atm... and a bit more to come looking at the radar. Up to nearly 6mm,and falling at 5-10mm/hr atm. Thick fog outside.

Big relief, this will get the garden and local forests through til the weekend now (hoping that one doesn’t fail). Kept waking up last night to drip-drip (so pretty tired :o ).

Probably time for a thread for the weekend, though geez worried having one might kill that event :?

EDIT> got to 7mm. Out local AWS just shy of 8mm. That's doubled our total for the last 7 weeks, and tripled our March total. Now in double figures :o
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Got 4mm of light rain overnight - the most excited I have been for such a small amount. While everything looks wet, it's only skin deep. Still it has washed the dust of the vegetation in the bush from the dirt roads.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Not a single drop here, no surprises there. :roll:

The drought continues.....
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

1.8mm overnight, 3.4mm since Sunday so a start, thinking of the time not too far ahead when the garden will not need watering till springtime.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Only 0.3mm here unfortunately. It won’t make any difference to the garden or water tanks, but at least there’s some wet stuff dropping from the sky!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

A surprise 2mm here - you know things are dry when 2mm is the best fall of the month!

Models got this one the wrong way around - the strong 'big' front was a fail; it was the follow-up front that actually delivered something. I can't believe the models atm and how poorly they are performing. Water & Land (model combo) for today http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/rainfall/pme.jsp had no rain at all for me, flyfisher or HB. :?
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

zilch again but as expected.

Spotted something interesting in the last few days for winter :) http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 29#p104629
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VICTORIA: Cold fronts - 18 to 20 March 2018

Post by Dane »

Got 1.3mm's overnight not much but my heaviest daily fall since January 30.
MTD now 3.3mm's.
Lets hope we get a bit more this weekend.