Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Return of summer - February 5 to 10 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Return of summer: Feb 5-10

Post by hillybilly »

Dud here :roll: Few spot falls to near 10mm north of Macedon and falls around 5-10mm near the alps, but otherwise dribbles at best.

Hoping for a bit of drizzle here overnight. Tanks are getting low, and gardens yellowing now.

Another week of not much. Progs split on Wednesday’s front with ACCESS and EC bringing it through earlier with minimal rain. GFS and CMC are slower and have quite a few showers. Mild to warm temperatures for the next ten days looking at the current batch of progs. Anticipating another doze of heat in about seven to ten days, so would be good to get some rain.
L
Lucia
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lucia »

We received just 2.5 mls here HB, hubby out watering now as not even enough to water the baskets! :roll: dread the thought of more heat to come, but got to expect it, hoping not to buy water, can hold off for a few more weeks, but will then need to buy :?
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Tonne of sparks up here with that cell. Power out.... a few mm to settle the dust.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

What was looking good to my west split in 2 just west of here - a few very distant rumbles and all over :(
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Lucked out unfortunately. A storm was approaching and then collapsed just before it arrived. Areas to the north of Gisborne faired much better. So a few spits here and there during the day, but not enough to register in the gauge. Seems to be shaping into quite a dry month. At current trends, we will be looking to see if some decent rain falls toward the end of the month or else it will be well below average. At least it's not raging hot for a while!
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rainfall this afternoon in Tasmania: Mt Read 23 mm, Mt Victoria 12 mm, Corra Linn 11 mm, Launceston 9.8 mm, Nugent 15 mm, Cressy 7 mm, Hobart 2.2 mm
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm Anticipating another doze of heat in about seven to ten days, so would be good to get some rain.
Looking out to the 20th HB (as far as I can go on the models I can get) can't see the heat on EC, ACCESS or GFS? Am I missing something?
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Looking out to the 20th HB (as far as I can go on the models I can get) can't see the heat on EC, ACCESS or GFS? Am I missing something?
Would expect ridging to develop over eastern Australia next week as the TC and a reinvigorated monsoon affect the northwest. Still beyong the NWP (weather models).

No sign of anything too hot, but definitely on the warmer side looking at the latest EC.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

It looks pretty nice (mild, sunny, and dry) here for the next week. Rather stock-standard boring late-Feb weather. Comfortable compared to last week though. Was just 8c here this morning :)

Checkout our continent of two-halves (Damp West, Dry East):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/# ... l-moisture
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Thanks SB, interesting map!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

What's with the sky tonight?
Doesn't Mackerel mean rain..
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes that's what I thought too Shell. It was gorgeous
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Victoria Severe Weather Warning 1

IDV21037
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

Severe Weather Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Central, South West, North Central, West and South Gippsland and parts of East Gippsland, North East and Wimmera Forecast Districts.

Issued at 10:26 am Tuesday, 13 February 2018.
A strong cold front will cross Victoria on Wednesday. Strengthening northerly winds expected ahead of a gusty westerly change.
DAMAGING WINDS averaging 50 to 60 km/h with peak gusts of 90 to 100 km/h are expected to develop over western Victoria early Wednesday morning then extend to central and eastern parts later in the morning. Damaging winds are more likely to affect elevated and coastal areas. Damaging gusts are also likely with passing showers or coastal thunderstorms.
Winds are expected to rapidly ease over the west in the early afternoon then ease throughout Wednesday night.
Locations which may be affected include Warrnambool, Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong, Melbourne, Traralgon and Bairnsdale.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees;
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony;
* Keep clear of fallen power lines;

The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5:00 pm AEDT Tuesday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

www.bom.gov.au
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

We are over the hill now. Summer is slowly coming to an end in the next 4 to 5 weeks, no matter which way you look at it.

No doubt we will still get high 30s and perhaps a 40 in Melbourne, but as is typical for mid February, it has 'that' feel to it. The mornings are a lot darker later, there is a slight chill briefly each morning and even the sun's warmth is starting to lose its intensity during the day.

It won't be long before we start wishing for warmer days :D
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

stevco123 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm It won't be long before we start wishing for warmer days :D
If I do, please slap me :).
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

stevco123 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm It won't be long before we start wishing for warmer days :D
Yep, won't be long before I start my annual winter whinging. Hate it with a passion. :P
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Jeez we’re not even past mid Feb and the summer’s over posts have already started :D

3 months of “warm” days still to go.. personally am not a fan of hot cloudy weather...high summer in Melb is often really weird with it’s hot nights, windy cloudy weather and extreme UV. March and April are much nicer tbh.

And last winter was so sunny and bright, it was hardly a winter was it?!

Bring on the July storms! 😂
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

I'm sure winter was drab and dreary and no sun at all..
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

As a lover of cold weather, I would love to think summer was over :) The nights are certainly drawing in and the sun not quite as strong, but I fear there will be many more hot days to come. In the last couple of years, the hot weather hung on well into Autumn, and March can often bring about searing temperatures. What we really need now though is rain!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Yes, rain,..
Had to hold a hose today, very dry out there..
not a good drink on the cards for a while either..