Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Becoming hot with showers and storms: December 27-30 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC - Becoming hot with showers and storms: December 27-30 2017

Post by Macedonian »

About 8 or 9mm here from nice steady heavy-ish rain. No storm here.
Temp plummeted from 25 to 17C in about 30 seconds.
Great to get some rain.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Nice 16mm here
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

8 mm so far here. We had one storm go through with a few flashes and rumbles. Otherwise lots of showers with some heavy bursts. It’s dead calm out there - not a breath of wind.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

9.5mm so far, delighted with that. Most of the total came in a single short shower.
One tank full the other close to if not already.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Just got a quick 14mm, great time for the gutter to let go. Love ladders and lightning. :shock:
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

14mm's for me and one rumble as well.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

10mm in quick time here. Couple of rumbles and thick thick fog. More showers to the west so might add some more, but we’ve been managing to pick gaps in the showers so far.

Looks like a few spots to my north and south have got close to 20mm.

Good result all round for a system which just kept teasing in the model world ;)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Just tipped out 7mm here in Wallan town. Only got a few distant rumbles here.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Nice falls around Melbourne! Just starting here with incoming storms. Not sure about a repeat of yesterday's supercell. Car is under cover as per JS's advice. Good predictions of how it's unfolding too guys!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

About 5mm has fallen here so far & it's just starting to ease as I type. I don't have a gauge set up down this way yet so I'm relying on the Rhyll station to get a rough idea.

Will be interested to hear what happened back in the west when I touch base with the other half later.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Plenty of sparks around here in the last few hours but its basically went either side, especially the north side. Only 2mm for here and a gauge 25 km north of Kyneton has 45mm :) Win some you loss some on storm days....

It has delivered in quite a few areas so far centrally ;)
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Ended up with 24.0mm.

Very low cloud at the moment and quite misty.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Finished with 8.0 mm today and 7.1 mm yesterday, so not bad all up. Great to see a lot of good falls about, although with quite a bit of variation, as Jasmine has reported. Currently foggy, and feeling very damp outside. The garden will be loving it, although I will be checking for fungal outbreaks over the next couple of days!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

60mm here in about 18 minutes. I have never ever experienced anything like it in my life. Roofs collapsed, shops and houses that have never had water in them were flooded (we were at work). Roads closed galore and an idiot that went through the road closed barrier and hit a car at a roundabout. The town is a mess.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Crikey Harley amazing!

In Mansfield we've had just under 60mm in two lots over the last 28 hours. Very heavy at times this evening. December total around 230mm in this location for December :o
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

HarleyB wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm 60mm here in about 18 minutes. I have never ever experienced anything like it in my life. Roofs collapsed, shops and houses that have never had water in them were flooded (we were at work). Roads closed galore and an idiot that went through the road closed barrier and hit a car at a roundabout. The town is a mess.
Wow
Anyone care to comment on why we a finally getting some decent summer storm action after a few years of benign conditions
Must be more to it than a weak LaNina
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

I wold say CC with more energy in the system but some would disagree. 25mm here, garden looking good this morning.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Missed out here. Just a few drops.

Looks like the blowtorch will be applied in one week's time with 42c a possibility....
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

HarleyB wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm 60mm here in about 18 minutes. I have never ever experienced anything like it in my life. Roofs collapsed, shops and houses that have never had water in them were flooded (we were at work). Roads closed galore and an idiot that went through the road closed barrier and hit a car at a roundabout. The town is a mess.
That's incredible. This cell was pretty nasty as it moved across central areas, probably quite a bit more so than what the radar was showing. The lightning activity was pretty incredible on radar, and seemed to rival the supercell that came through the CBD on the 19th - radar was showing lightning strikes < 2 seconds apart as it moved through Tooborac!

Judging by the storm motion, lightning frequency and doppler signature, this may have been a supercell?

The rain intensity under the weaker multicell cluster that moved through the Northern Suburbs yesterday afternoon was pretty impressive, so I can't imagine what it must have been like under that much stronger storm to the north. :o
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Almost wintery today in FC with a max of 15.1C and 1.8mm more rain. Looks like the next few days will continue the mild pattern before a scorching Saturday :? Thankfully not much wind in the outlook, so just one of those all too common stinkers without wind days which have suddenly rather common.
Anyone care to comment on why we a finally getting some decent summer storm action after a few years of benign conditions
Must be more to it than a weak LaNina
I’d tend to put it down to the La Niña. The last couple of months have reminded me a bit of the last one back in 2010-2011-2012. The event isn’t so strong, so not everywhere has shared the storms and rain.

One would expect our summer to become more subtropical as the oceans warm and the highs move further south but this would not easily explain the more rapid year-to-year changes. One thing that is clear is our summer are becoming more easterly (which would tend to increase the supply of moisture for storms when they do happen).