Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Becoming hot with a thunder change: Dec 16-19

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Becoming hot with a thunder change: Dec 16-19

Post by stevco123 »

A pic from Cranbourne East looking north
Attachments
20171219_192754.jpg
20171219_192754.jpg (397.78 KiB) Viewed 11244 times
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Wow great coverage team
I've been living in this house for 25years and this is the first time water was coming in through the windows
ahh LaNina
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

28.2mm's in the 24 hours to 9am here MTD now 123.9mm's 2nd wettest December for me behind the 163.4mm's I recorded in 2007
In 2007 I had 121.8mm's in 3 days from the 21st to the 23rd during a very humid thundery spell at that time.
BOM in Cranbourne Sth only recorded 80.4mm's during that time.
Lucky to have just missed that large damaging hail that was reported in Narre Warren Sth only about 5kms from here.
Last edited by Dane on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Goes to show how storm deprived some people have become going by the posts from yesterday's events. ;)

From the reports I've read both through the media & on here nothing that occurred yesterday even comes close to the magical events of early 2010 when we were smashed by two severe storms inside a fortnight, particularly the March 6 event (Sadly the last proper severe storm I've personally experienced).

As for this event, 0mm recorded here. 3 drops (or was it 5), lighting/thunder in the distance & that's about it.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Skywalker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 am Goes to show how storm deprived some people have become going by the posts from yesterday's events. ;)

From the reports I've read both through the media & on here nothing that occurred yesterday even comes close to the magical events of early 2010 when we were smashed by two severe storms inside a fortnight, particularly the March 6 event (Sadly the last proper severe storm I've personally experienced).

As for this event, 0mm recorded here. 3 drops (or was it 5), lighting/thunder in the distance & that's about it.
The supercell that moved towards the CBD last night would rank somewhere near March 6 2010, with Christmas Day 2011 being the most severe imo (personal ranking only). That being said, the lightning barrage last night's storm was producing as it moved over Craigieburn is unlike anything I can remember, and the rain was just torrential. The storm that preceded it, which rapidly intensified north of Craigieburn and headed SE towards Lilydale, was extremely severe too. A green core was visible as it approached from the north, along with a very turbulent base (much like what I observed with the supercells on December 25, 2011). I would love to have seen it approach from a distance, as I think the structure would have looked fantastic. Does anyone have any pictures of this storm?

Unfortunately, I had very limited mobility yesterday, and, with the storms moving so quickly, I was often too close or getting rained on to get many decent shots of structure :(

All in all, an excellent storm event, and one I'll remember for years to come :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Just like last month we got hit by lightning again Came down the telephone line and blew up the modem. The same thing happened last month but we only had a UPS with surge protection. As we had our Foxtel units and computer fried as well last month we then got a UPS with surge and Ethernet protection but that still didn't stop the lightning getting the phone and modem
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Sorry to hear you were smashed once again Lily. I remember last time.

Hope there was no damage James. I know what it's like to have the house hit by lightning
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Goes to show how storm deprived some people have become going by the posts from yesterday's events.
I don't know about that, this spring/summer has been pretty good so far in terms of storms for me, but last night's was easily the most lightning-active I've seen in a long time (and that includes when I lived in Hong Kong, which gets pretty crazy storms with regularity in summer). For a while there was multiple flashes every second.

As for the rain it didn't get to true whiteout conditions at my particular location (Elwood), but I'm sure there were locations a few hundred metres away that would have experienced that. The sky had a very pronounced green tinge which pretty much guarantees hail was in the mix nearby as well.

The only gripe I've got about last night is that it didn't happen an hour or two later. Would have loved to see that lightning at night!
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Here is a picture of the cell with a green core from earlier yesterday afternoon which intensified around Donnybrook and headed SE towards Lilydale. Unfortunately, I was in an absolutely terrible position to view the storm, as you can see from the picture haha.

windyrob
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by windyrob »

Trailing edge of the Mildura Monster as it passed over frankston. Smoke/dust, Greenage and a little bit of rainbow!
Imagestorm feb 19 2017 by Robert Mitchell, on Flickr
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

windyrob wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 pm Trailing edge of the Mildura Monster as it passed over frankston. Smoke/dust, Greenage and a little bit of rainbow!
Imagestorm feb 19 2017 by Robert Mitchell, on Flickr
Great photo!

On a side note, the north west of Australia is looking fairly moisture laden mid next week. Hopefully something taps into that
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Talked to a friend today from Nunawading. Their car was written off by hail, which was (up to) about 5cm. It was jagged and composed of clusters of small stones. The heaviest hail appears to have been in the southwest corner (meso-cyclone) of the storm. Apparently a number of car dealerships have extensive damage.

Interesting that a few more storms have gone up today, but scooted most the metro area.

Meanwhile it is Sydney's turn for nasty storms.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Whoah! Just scored another 13mm in past 20 minutes in an isolated rainstorm. I didn't expect that. Only affected Southern half of town. Cold now.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Some pretty significant damage reports coming in from hail. More or less confirms in my mind that yesterday was probably the most significant storm outbreak to hit Melbourne for a few years. Rain wasn't as heavy as the December 2016 storm, but the hail, lightning was much more significant.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... 07m0s.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... b1be846303
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Passed a fair few cars with hail damage yesterday,
One had only been picked up 10days prior,
Other just didn’t get home in time.
The car game was spot the car with dints.
Be some cheap deals on FTG rd..
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

I think the BoM might be writing a special little chapter on December 19, 2017.

EC thinks maybe something bigger in 8 days time ;)

http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 96#p103396
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

At Mount Evelyn all we got was the heavy rain, no hail at all. Pleasant change as the March 2010 got our brand new car about 15 mins after we bought it.
w
wobbie
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by wobbie »

I actually don't recall the last time I saw hail that size. I was watching the clouds and lightning approaching with great excitement, but it soon turned to terror when I heard the scattered thumps and realised my car was sitting out in that. Luckily no damage. When that huge hail event happened some years ago, all we got was extremely heavy rain so that was lucky, but many cars got wrecked elsewhere

It was really amazing I have to say, that you could hear the roar of the hail approching through the suburban rooftops some time before it eventually arived
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Western Port.
Few spots rain.
Interesting skies.
Dog barking on shore hope it’s not Lightning active ina boat.
And pop they turned to Mammatus.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

It. Drop of wind and there is moisture on the ground,