Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Low Pressure System: 3rd-10th September 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Low Pressure System: 3rd September -

Post by mick »

Sean wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:27 pm Nothing but bloody wind last night.
Been wind where I am for a fortnight, the power lines howling, windows rattling, cabin fever might be setting in.
Its been known to snow around the back of Lorne but Ive never seen as much as in that pic.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

Some nice pics there Macedonian :D
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Thanks! The Lorne pic is def worth looking at!

Ive had snow flurries since i got home.
2nd coldest day of the year here with an even 3C max. So thats -0.5C to 3C in Spring. Yum!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Cracking hail shower in Ferny Creek with graupel. Temp down to 4C with thick rain. Had 5mm this arvo.

Wouldn't rule out some wet snow, but prob just a little too warm.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Steady moderate and thick rain through here, up to 5mm! Agree that the Geelong video probably isn't snow, I doubt that much 'snow' could accumulate so quickly in the gutter/grass. Hoping Friday delivers nice falls here and more low level snow.
Go the bombersss!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Down to 3C now, but no snow despite decent 'real' snow at nearly 4C yesterday - that dry air snow was the standout of yesterday for me.

Re Otways snow, this was just near Lavers Hill at a mere 400m asl in July last year.

Further up the road near Beech Forest (approaching 600m) apparently it was nearly impassable for a an hour or two. Very similar system to this one, which the Otways do well with for both temps and moisture.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Biggest failure of a "cold" outbreak ever if you ask me. I'm at a loss to explain it.

How is it that the air was coming DIRECTLY from Antarctica and we still managed 13 degree days and 7 degree minimums in the city.

The most dismal of cold outbreaks have temps 3 or 4 degrees lower.

It is colder tonight than last night.

7mm of rain today.

Geelong copped it good yesterday a couple of times but that video is not snow. It is graupel at its best. You can see how the windscreen wipers push it around like small balls.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

JasmineStorm wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am Quickly off topic for a moment - GFS latest of what has the potential to be a top 5 hurricane globally of all time. 132 hours out and it's a bullseye on Florida https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0
Have been watching this for a few days on earth.nulschool.net. It developed near Cape Verde Islands. NHC have been watching it too.
Peter
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Up to 20mm for the thread, snowed 3 times but didn't settle. Snow has fallen 10 times in the Macedon Ranges since the start of August. Gives a little ammunition to some who believe winter should be June 21 to Sept 21 🙂

@Peter, amazing system. Hurricane Irma has now dropped 20 hPa in the last 7 hours to 927 hPa... interesting times for the U.S in the next 5 days.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

The first 2/3rds of winter were hopeless for snow here but we have more than made up for it now :)
September is always better than June around here for snow.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Just 1C now but real snow still avoiding us - more a wintry mix of sleet with the odd flake. What a difference from yesterday's atmosphere!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Its snowing quiet nicely here again :)
0.6C now
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

stevco123 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:07 pm Biggest failure of a "cold" outbreak ever if you ask me. I'm at a loss to explain it.
How is it that the air was coming DIRECTLY from Antarctica and we still managed 13 degree days and 7 degree minimums in the city.
From what I have observed on "earth.nullschool.net" is that the mentioned air from Antarctica has been hitting Tassie. We have copped air from a more west to South Westerly direction (those with heaps more knowledge - please correct me if I am wrong).

My 2 cents worth (I was looking forward to snow in Kilmore after a few years - when it used to be regular).
Peter
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Spot on Didjman. For it to be really good in central vic its got to come straight up from the south.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Some thick sleet for us on the back end of the rainband, with the temperature dipping below 3C. Added 8mm to the event total.

RH is near 100% so not cold enough for proper snow.

Geez this one reminds me of the August 2005 event. Big cold outbreak but low peaking to our west and just not enough southerly to push the showers inland with the cold air. To be honest, I'm impressed by what we got in terms of snow as it never looked that good to me with too much westerly and dry air. The media and blogs often get rather too excited about these events :?

Another front tomorrow and then another kick on Thursday. That ones looking quite cold with freezing levels dipping to 900m so touch and go for snow again in the Dandenongs. Final front on Saturday.

Btw Irma is closing in on the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record. The records aren't great with a lack of satellite data for much of the 20th century, but even so clear this is a nasty potentially record breaking storm :?
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

HB you are not wrong about media and blogs etc.
I saw a couple of weather group posts for the Central Highlands and they were conjuring up treacherous driving conditions across the region with black ice and even snow drifts! across a very wide area. :?
If you took away the relatively tiny area that is above 800m in central vic, you wouldnt really have noticed anything other than a very cold couple of days.
Definitely no snow drifts lol.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

I'm a little bemused by a few posts in the last 24 hours. I have had 3 separate snow falls on this event alone at 527m and its September :) rare as Hens teeth for here.

HB posted this video of snow falling at under 200m just west of Ballarat.

Graupel at 35m in Geelong.

Falls creek is now over 200cm depth.

From a Victorian thread point of view, its a cracker. Well done Harley34 on creating the thread ;)
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

JasmineStorm wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am I'm a little bemused by a few posts in the last 24 hours. I have had 3 separate snow falls on this event alone at 527m and its September :) rare as Hens teeth for here.

From a Victorian thread point of view, its a cracker. Well done Harley34 on creating the thread ;)
Well it depends on where you live doesn't it. From my prospective & Stevco's it's been rather uneventful in our necks of the wood. Far from what I would personally call a cracker.

A few light showers have developed here at work.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

I was expecting more tbh. I knew snow wouldn't fall at this elevation, but I was imaging blustery cold showers dumping loads of hail. For the metro area, this 'cold outbreak' was a standard winter's cold front. Definitely nothing exceptional even if you take into account the snowfalls in the likely areas. Yes, it's September, but it's early September and it often snows during this time of the year. Bit of a farce really.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

My last post -

Every thread I do my best on the forum to provide what models are projecting and what weather is coming towards Victoria but negativity of Melbourne posts and the misinformation quoted here even on my own district has eventually worn me out. The beauty of a weather forum is you can say what you are thinking, so keep doing it crew.... but for me, it's probably time to move on.

signing out Jasmine