Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Low Pressure System: 3rd-10th September 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Low Pressure System: 3rd September -

Post by hillybilly »

Picked a hole in the frontal band... grrr. Really would like to top of the week with a few more mms. Despite all the showers we are still tracking well below since May thanks to the lack of rain bands.
Slightly off topic I heard somewhere that the cold temps are in part due to more ice build up in the Antarctic
I think it was a grab from the Bureau
The SAM is in play as well but it was interesting that this point was made :?
Suspect lost in translation. Sea ice is at its peak extent, but running a fair way below average overall. I understand it's been close to a record low in recent weeks.

Think the real reason is simply the west to swly flow anomalies we've had for the last month and a bit. That's kept rainbands at bay in the alps, and fed a steady stream of fronts across the alps.

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just got a sleet shower so Progs right with the return of the cold air this morning. Temps still dropping, so couldn't rule out the odd flake between now and noon.

10mm in the gauge, which is a good result for this part of the sequence (indeed that is my best daily fall this week :? ). Looks like a couple of showery days still to come, then an almost nice day for Sunday. Next week sees more troughs, and could well give us a bit of a thundery event on Tuesday with LI dipping into negative values with the first trough :)
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 pm Rope tow buried in Mt Mawson, Tassie. :D

Maybe they should extend the snow season to the end of October. :o

Ask and yer shall receive, season extended to end October.
2 metres and more everywhere with more to come.
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Ok enough rain and cold now please.. my buffolo lawn can't handle it! Need some warmth.

The Broadmeadows radar is garbage, some of the heaviest falls I've had down on the Peninsula have barely even registered as light showers. Hurry up bom! :-D

Is it time to throw the BOM sep - nov outlook out the window? Higher chance of exceeding median temps and lower chance of exceeding max rain? I don't think so!

It seems every year now the seasons are delayed a little longer, took a very long time for winter to settle in this year and spring feels a mile away.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

2mm more today. MTD about 30mm, so more or less tracking average. Been a cold week. Max today of 7.8C, with two snow days and two sleet days for the week.

One milder day coming up on Sunday and perhaps Monday.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

A cold breezy day at Mansfield. Frequent short showers this evening. Reached 9c today. It was cold. The mountains around here look like a European scene presently - heavy cover of snow everywhere. We had 50 mm forecast this week with OCF but only got 10. Still, it's nice and wet and lake Eildon is nearly 70% full.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

6mm in the gauge this morning, so MTD is getting close to 40mm now. Showers will extend inland again today so a showery day. Might yet get over the 40mm mark.

Another unstable showery week coming up with temps starting milder but ending cold. Highs continue to anchor to our west throwing up cold air.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Drove up to Mt Baw Baw with the wife and daughter.

Checked temp when i left. -2.5. Snowing.

Get to the mountain, heavy drizzle and a remp of -0.9

Following on from conversation with BringOnTheCoolChange and Skywalker (i think) from the other day;
That's my jinx continuing with snow and cold weather.

Very goo snow cover but. Shame about the rain.

Any experts think it will turn to snow again?
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

Just came down from Donna Buang, plenty of snow cover up top above 1100m, but was drizzling, and then got a bit heavier, so we can say the snow level has well and truly risen, it was good fun toboganning though. Snow cover softening and melting at Donna, should last a few more days if no heavy rain is on forecast
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Saw some photos on the Donna Buang Facebook page which showed an amazing cover, but horrid weather early. Case of super cooled stratus too shallow to produce snowflakes. You typically need the cloud tops to be below -10C to get snow, and the cloud tops yesterday were around -4C. Under that scenario you get cold wet drizzle :?

We picked up another 2mm here from that drizzle and fog. Suddenly cleared about 3pm to a sunny arvo. Back to fog this morning, but expect it to lift pretty quickly to a nice day.