Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Tropical rain event - March 19 to 23 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Tropical rain event - March 19 to 23 2017

Post by mick »

Nothing here but i didnt expext much.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Well that's ended in a fizz. Upper divergence has shot through (and south) and it's all fizzing out in central Vic. Exactly as picked by the models, though perhaps a bit earlier.

Progs did pretty well in the end, but issue is that totals with storms are so hit miss. Going east from the city totals go from about 10mm to near 40mm (middle suburbs) then back to 10mm (around Knox) then up to 30mm+ then down to 2-5mm (outer Yarra). Average is probably about an inch, but some got much less and others more. Similar variations all over the place, with some spots near 100mm for the event north of Geelong while other closer to Geelong have missed out.

Not quite all done. The upper trough is still to our southwest and pushes through tomorrow. CMC, GFS, EC and ACCESS are all keen for another burst of showers tomorrow morning mainly affecting southern areas. Not a lot, but locally 10mm+

You also couldn't rule out the odd thundery shower tonight with humidity lingering.

Event on 38mm here so pretty pleased. Coming in was thinking 1 to 2 inches and that's where we've landed. Quite a few rumbles and a bit of hail this arvo.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Ended up with or at least till now on 33 mm, tank overflowing.
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

24.6mm here in Tarneit, that's good for a westie!
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Disappointing 10mm here
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Finally got around to checking the gauge, 19mm all up for the event to date with most of it falling in the early hours of Monday morning. We have had bugger all today, 4-5mm at the most.

While I'm obviously frustrated with the storm absence, overall it's a good result considering the shocking drought like conditions we have been experiencing of late. The gardens & the tank certainly needed it. Hopefully this gives my new plants the kick along they need to help settle into the soil. :)

Back to dry conditions tomorrow & a return to the bike after two days off.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Has been absolutely belting down from about 6pm on the Peninsula, heaviest rain I've experienced for sustained periods in a long time. Flood incidents going insane on the VicEmergency app from Mount Martha all the way down to Portsea, hope everyone is ok, makes me feel rather selfish when I say I hope that's not it for the night!
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

Still and humid here tonight, perhaps some of that stuff near the border gets her overnight and gives out a few more mm's slight risk of a flang and a bang but slight.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just a couple more mm here today to give an event total of 25.7mm. It had been very dry, so it will be nice to see things a big greener for a while. Looks like a little more to come overnight or morning, although I suspect patchier. Still high DPs - we have a temp of 19.8 here with a DP of 18. Very steamy!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Trying to work out why the SWW is still in place for the same huge area covered for it's 3.48pm issue?

Surely much of that area hasn't been at risk of extreme rainfall for hours now, so shouldn't BOM take the warning down or adjust it?
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

There's been a curious stationary line of rain between Anglesea and Apollo Bay for a couple of hours now, some sort of a convergence line there perhaps?
34mm here today and 38mm MTD.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

Hi Geoff I saw that earlier, but thought it was a junk reading,
but the rain total doesn't lie. Doesn't seem to want to move.
Could get nasty if it keeps going much longer.
Hooroo Chris
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

A few storms have fired up in the NW, is coming down this way. Don't know if it will make it to Bendigo, round 3 if it does
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Happy for those that got good falls today. I am shocked to announce that my grand total for today is 1mm, after 7.5mm yesterday (mainly in the first band Monday AM) :x
Go the bombersss!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

The conditions here in Templestowe are still perfect for more rain with the temp and dew points both at 21 degrees and 100% humidity. Surely there will be more of something!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Well there's almost nothing on the radar for my area yet we are still getting a heavy shower here or there.

But what about Aireys Inlet? Just about 60mm from thay stationary blob.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Super foggy up here with dribbles. Now up to 35mm for the last 24 hours. Looks like a damp day... foggy here with the odd shower. There's still quite a few showers around the bay moving up today.

Impressive falls along the coast. Could well be the odd spot crack the ton, with a second areas of storms around the Murray.

Humidity doesn't really clear out, with progs showing the odd shower and storm for Thursday and Friday, and more general activity Saturday. Strong front then looks like coming through for Monday.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

100mm at Aireys Inlet, just astonishing how that patch of rain sat there along the coast all night.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

44mm from 9am yesterday here. Melbourne water up the road confirms that with the exact same amount.

Overly happy :D
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Wet morning here has forced me off the bike for the 3rd day in a row. Looks like some weekend cycling coming up to make up for it.

This constant light rain will also push our total past 20mm. A very impressive 30mm also recorded down on the island according to the Rhyll station, so I'm absolutely ecstatic with the rainfall totals. Perfect timing with the new plants & all, especially down on the island where my ability to water is limited due to work & school commitments during the week. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.