Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Feb 13th to 20th 2017 - Mild, Warm with a cool showery end

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Feb 13th to 20th Mild, Warm with a cool showery end

Post by Gordon »

I'll say (about being unbelievable.) I'm fast running out of firewood. Really feels like winter right now, so hard to imagine 30C a mere three days away. Could be an actual cover on Baw Baw some time tonight which is pretty good going for Feb, the month least likely for snow.

Top of 10C here today - buggered if I know how Ballarat cracked 15C; it's only 150 metres lower than us. Up to 6mm here with some intense bursts of small hail.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Two short but heavy showers plus frequent light falls have given me a total of 16.7mm thus far. One of the heavy showers had some thunder and lightening.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Occasional heavy showers got over the ranges. 4.6mm up here, I'll take that. SWesterly punching into the bays nicely. Should be some good showers tonight down there.

Water spout at Mentone beach
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Picked the wrong weekend to take a break from the weekly trip down to Phillip Island, would of been quite eventful down there. Lots of showers & coldies pushing through. :)

As for here, well more typical boring uneventful crap. A couple of very brief showers & that's about it. No hail, no thunder, no heavy downpours, nothing. Just more of the same boring rubbish one has come to expect from the weather conditions in the Caroline Springs area. :x

Loved the footage of that water spout. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

It just keeps raining and raining here in Ferny Creek. More to come on the radar. Maybe we will crack 30mm
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Before midnight, the biggest thunder clap that freaked the entire house out of a deep sleep,
After midnight woken again by torrential rain.
No complaints tho.. going to be looking good upon sunrise,
excited to see what we have in the gauge If it compares to on top of the hill.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Very happy to see 22mm in the manual gauge so far, since am yesterday.

Easily surpassed the February average now.

I wonder how it compares to Dane, down the road?

The Melbourne Water site near me has had 30mm.

And I thought we'd be lagging yesterday.
Last edited by stevco123 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Gordon wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm I'll say (about being unbelievable.) I'm fast running out of firewood. Really feels like winter right now, so hard to imagine 30C a mere three days away. Could be an actual cover on Baw Baw some time tonight which is pretty good going for Feb, the month least likely for snow.

Top of 10C here today - buggered if I know how Ballarat cracked 15C; it's only 150 metres lower than us. Up to 6mm here with some intense bursts of small hail.
I recorded 10C as well Gordon and Trentham had 12C, so the 15 at Ballarat sounds right to me.
sounds llike your area was the coldest!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Still in the firing line of the rain as the area seems to have been a lot of the night, too wet to check the Nylex but the Melbourne Water site close by has recorded 30mm so far, was tracking within 1 mm of it last night so expect similar, certainly wet.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Wow what a wet night. Came down like a fire hose at times with hail pinging on the roof.

37mm in the gauge at 7am and still pouring. Classic SW'ly convergence band. Set ups don't come much better. The Bay coming into this was a subtropical 23C. Overlay near 0C 850Ts and cyclonic SW'ly flow and you've got intense cold air convection :D Really unusual to get one of these in February.... thinking the last time we had something like this was 1996. Much more common in March or December. Quite the "feak event" :D

MTD is closing in on 110mm and summer has delivered a very handy 310mm. Wish every summer was like this.

Couple of photos - the stream on the radar this morning and the view at the station.

H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

HarleyB wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm Mangalore's BOM station recorded the lowest ever February minimum last night at just 4.2, breaking the old record by 0.8 degrees, amazing! I thought I was a bit cold last night!

Just looking at the daily weather summaries, Strathbogie also broke their record, and Redesdale missed theirs by just 0.1 degrees.

And last night has lowered that mark by another 0.7 degrees, just 3.5 last night, an incredible sequence to break the record 2 nights in a row!
We also scored 1.4mm yesterday afternoon, that's more than we usually get in these SW setups so can't complain about that.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Bone dry here in the western desert with not a single drop in sight! :roll:

Sprinkler time tomorrow by the looks of it. Those fake 1 or 2 showers we had yesterday were barely enough to even wet the ground.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Very good totals down there. Congrats.... the south westerly attack was set up perfectly around 10pm last night. Some of the cloud tops in bass strait were around -40c and zeroing in for a direct hit on the southern burbs and the Dandegongs. Got its target nicely. There is still a little more to play out......

4.6mm for the thread here, was never an event north of the divide. 21.2mm for the month, 52.6mm for the year. Can't see a drop of rain for the next 2 weeks here....becoming grim with those 2 monster highs coming in over the next fortnight.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Skywalker wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:56 am Bone dry here in the western desert with not a single drop in sight! :roll:
The sun was shining when I tipped 37.5mm out of the Nylex a short time ago.
Happy to let you have all of what will fall here today. ;)
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Those are spectacular falls just east of Melbourne - nice work! I don't think any of the models came with in cooee of those sort of totals? Think we'll end up settling for a mere 7mm or so here. Brings us to just shy of 100 mm ytd and should keep things green-ish for now.

Snow cams spectacular this morning, with a white blanket at all the higher resorts right up into NSW. Amazing for Feb. Pity the Baw Baw cams are turned off :(
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Up to 48mm now in FC. Should crack 50mm from here.

Shame it hasn't shared it around a bit better, but guess that's just the way with SW'ly systems.

Thinking this is now the best summer cold outbreak since Christmas Day 2006 when we got about 55mm and a maximum of just 8.6C. It snowed at our place that day (unbelievable event that one). I don't think I'll ever see a summer cold outbreak to beat it.....
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

hillybilly wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 am Up to 48mm now in FC. Should crack 50mm from here.

Shame it hasn't shared it around a bit better, but guess that's just the way with SW'ly systems.

Thinking this is now the best summer cold outbreak since Christmas Day 2006 when we got about 55mm and a maximum of just 8.6C. It snowed at our place that day (unbelievable event that one). I don't think I'll ever see a summer cold outbreak to beat it.....
Ah yes, the 2006 event. Stuck in my memory forever. Have some awesome pics at home.

Reminds me of this article flaoting around the internet:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 1d6a4dd615

. the alps got a very good cover that day, and was timely after the bushfires they had only a week before that.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

17mm here
Very nice indeed
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

31mm Boronia.
Sitting in car in FTG and it's coming down still
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

JasmineStorm wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 am Can't see a drop of rain for the next 2 weeks here....becoming grim with those 2 monster highs coming in over the next fortnight.
Not the kind of news we want to hear. I was virtually walking through dust out the front of my son's school during drop off this morning. :(
Hard to believe I live in the same city as those of you in the eastern suburbs reporting your wonderful rainfall totals for this event.