Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic: Hot few days then a sharp change: Feb 7-12 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Re: Hot few days then a sharp change: Feb 7-12

Post by Blackie »

Heavy showers here in Mansfield. DP 22.5c, RH 70%, temp 30c. Feels like Darwin. Fujitsu - you are my friend! Not sure if we'll get the wind change up this way.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

23C now. It dropped without even a puff of breeze. I was shocked when i went outside.

Its bliss!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Interesting day tomorrow for Vic. Going to be mid 40s near the river, but low 20s near the coast. Massive gradient inbetween.

The front proper won't come to Saturday and it looks like packing a bit of punch. Latest EC has locally 10+mm in southern Vic in the usual spots and quite a chilly day for Sunday and Monday. 850Ts drop to near zero for a while..... :o
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

8C drop here in the last hour down to 24C, and if I hadn't gone outside I would never have believed it. There was no wind, no change in cloud, nothing, most odd. :?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Well, the rains have arrived in Perth.

I'm very curious to see what they get. Had been progged in the 40 - 80mm range, which is high given their average Feb total is in the 20s I believe.

Looks like a procession of BDHs for us, though. Thank god for that rain a few days ago :|
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

5mm here today, after a maximum of 39.0. Absolutely oppressive outside, currently down to 23 degrees though, it's hard to believe it's going to be 37 again tomorrow and 36 on Saturday!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

17 lovely degrees here now :)
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Day 3 of the heatwave up here, expecting mid 30s as north of the divide now falls into the low pressure heat trap.

Perth got a nice drop, currently 102mm overnight. From what I could see on the BoMs site, the daily record is 120mm.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Thick fog in FC this morning. Looks like a subtropical day with T and Td in the 20s for us. Welcome to Byron Bay in the Dandenongs :? (without the beach).

Hot, hot, hot in the north. Yesterday's 46.9C at Walpeup was a February record outside of Black Saturday. Similar for the Tarcoola ob in SA.

Perth closing in on the daily record high rainfall. Still a few hours to go so have time provided the rain keeps trickling down.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Thick fog and 15C here at 9 am.

Getting a much better break in the heat than expected, given we're quite a way inland (only 10 km or so from the Divide).
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

It was the same here Gordon but just now the fog cleared and that evil sun is booming down. Yuk!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

May be JUST too early to call, but I reckon there are early signs that Autumn is here!

Forecast showing topsy turvy with the coldest of day now easily dipping below the 20 degree mark.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

They tell me Mansfield had a 15minute downpour yesterday arvo, then the wind picked up.
Lovely morning here, could see that low fog sitting over Ferny Creek.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

stevco123 wrote:May be JUST too early to call, but I reckon there are early signs that Autumn is here!

Forecast showing topsy turvy with the coldest of day now easily dipping below the 20 degree mark.
stevco123 wrote:May be JUST too early to call, but I reckon there are early signs that Autumn is here!

Thats a big call!
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

I wouldn't be fooled to quick just yet Steve, March of recent years has served up plenty of hot weather too. Officially still summer until around 20th of March (Autumn Equinox). Still have a fairway to go yet!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Hahaha, i was expecting that response.

As I said the other day, just wait for the late burst of Summer in mid to late April with highs of 27-31 days on end and a cool tinge in the evenings.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Currently here, 36c, DP 19c, heat index 38.9c....light north easterly and it keeps getting hotter. Set a PWS record yesterday on the heat index (app temp) of 43.9c around 3pm, highest max temp was 39.6c near the same time.

With all of this heat, I thought it was time to go into the archives and see how it compares to past terrestrial heat bombs. Sometimes you can get caught up with the media hysteria...so I like to look myself. This is what I found. It's almost as big as they come in National terms. Not quite Jan 8th 2013 level but it's certainly up there if this Saturday's forecast comes off. This will be a massive area of Australia over 45c. Melbourne is dodging a very hot bullet with this one.
Attachments
Max temps comparison.jpg
Max temps comparison.jpg (319.17 KiB) Viewed 7220 times
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

stevco123 wrote:Hahaha, i was expecting that response.

As I said the other day, just wait for the late burst of Summer in mid to late April with highs of 27-31 days on end and a cool tinge in the evenings.
Yes I know Steve, just stirring the pot :D. Have you forgotten the March heatwave back in 2013? :o
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

WeatherViewer wrote:
stevco123 wrote:Hahaha, i was expecting that response.

Yes I know Steve, just stirring the pot :D. Have you forgotten the March heatwave back in 2013? :o
Not at all !

Either way, the sun will start to lose its sting very shortly. and the nights will get longer as is happening already
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Hotter than forecast for my neck of the woods already, currently 30C Humidity @ 51% and no wind to speak of.