Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic: Long warm/hot spell, unsettled end - December 24-31 2016

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Long warm/hot spell, unsettled end - December 24-

Post by mick »

This has been showing all day what is it?
qsrd.JPG
qsrd.JPG (39.35 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

mick wrote:This has been showing all day what is it?

qsrd.JPG
Those storms might off kicked off a swarm of insects out west.... apparently their faint echoes can get picked up.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Tassiedave wrote:Just back from a week in Victoria, in particular the Wimmera region. Received a nice storm in Horsham yesterday delivering 12 mm or so. While i was away the recent event delivered 57 mm here in Grindelwald (15 km north of Launceston). Looking ahead GFS and ACCESS seem to be suggesting an influx of moisture in the middle of next week culminating in a LOW over Victoria (and hopefully Tassie). What are people's thoughts on this?
I'm onto it Tassiedave..... but I reckon we need another 48 hours to get a scenario underway. That monsoonal low is starting to spin with some solid westerlies firing in now from indo. It certainly looks like an easterly dip with moisture mid next week into a Vic but still differences in the models about the monsoonal low path. EC is very interesting with that Cat 3 to 4 cyclone off WA it keeps modelling.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Mini upgrade for tomorrow on some of the models. Might crack 5mm here. Bit of storm action out east. Always good to kick off the new year rainfall accumulation.

Monday then looks quite cool, with some drizzle. Is going to feel like the depths of winter after this week of tropical conditions.

Almost time for the new thread.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Nice thread HB - one for the museum.

Ended with 31mm - 6 days over 30c ......and grand total of 1060mm for 2016.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

An absolutely fascinating system. I know memory is a notoriously unreliable measure, but I can't recall a system quite like it. The periods of light rain and cool weather alternating abruptly with hot northerlies; almost continuous high humidity, then the huge storms of the 29th/ 30th.

I was away in the upper Murray valley for most of it, although the weather followed a surprisingly similar pattern up there.

Back home, my brother's place just a few kilometres west got 20mm on the 29th, while we managed a mere 3.5mm. Still, 16mm total for the dates was handy and I'd rather have had nothing than some of the more destructive deluges. We also had only 2 days over 30C, so the green grass is hanging in there.

As usual, thanks to hillybilly and JS for the regular and remarkable insights - fantastic! Looking forward to the next thread.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

I hope this works
Having major issues posting my photos
As promised this is an interesting viewpoint of Thursday's storm approaching Elwood and SE suburbs from Hampton Beach

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/wyeri ... o.jpg.html
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Long warm/hot spell, unsettled end - December 24-31 2016

Post by Jake Smethurst »

How did you go with the photos Wilko?
We are soon to be implementing a much easier way to incorporate them into the forums.

Meanwhile, I wish everyone a very happy New Year!! Thanks for all your contribution to the forum during 2016 and lets hope 2017 brings us more amazing weather to talk about, or at least more storms hey!? :) :lighting:
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Hear Hear!
Happy New Year from a decidedly chilly S/E Tassie! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Only had around 10mm for the event dates but enough to keep the grass greenish for a little while but need a bit more soon, 1 rumble of thunder this season is real bad. Hope everyone got out from the storms damage free, they look good coming towards you but don't look so good being on the back end of them and picking up the pieces.
Take care everyone and HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR YOU WEATHER WEIRDOS.......... :D :D :banana: :brightbanana: :woooo:

Rhino. :) :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Happy New Year to you too Jake and everyone on the forum. And thanks for all the updates everyone especially JasmineStorm, Hillybilly and Jake.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Happy new year all, and fingers crossed for lots of weather events :D

We've started 2017 with fog and more fog. 4mm of drizzle or mizzle, and chilly temperatures. Nice change form the heat of last week. Back to warm to hot soon.