Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - December 19th-21st 2016: Cold front & trough

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - December 19th-21st 2016: Cold front & trough

Post by hillybilly »

Getting the odd thundery shower here, but long gaps between the showers and drops are sparse :roll: 0.5mm here so far.

System is again suffering from the lack of low and mid level moisture. Watching a couple of cells approaching with fingers crossed. Water tanks are low now after the last ten days of mostly sunny and windy conditions.

Maxed out at 24.5C here yesterday so just short of hot for us (which I tend to put at 30C).
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Recently I have moved up the road from Wyndham Vale to Tarneit, I'm yet to get my weather station back up... on another note

I've just witnessed the loudest couple of Thunder Claps In years passing over head, it was truly incredible to hear. A few flashes thrown in the mix and 1 minute or rain.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Nice little start to the day with a brief lightshow & thunder with some rain thrown in. :lighting: :raining:
Combined with yesterday morning's mass watering my gardens should be well prepared for the upcoming warm period heading into Christmas. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Welcome back red-cored cells. How i miss you.

Classic downpour here with large drops. Something we havent had in a LOOONG time
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Thunder here, very loud, just missing us to our south, hillybilly must've copped it.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

6mm here from that storm. Very welcome. Nice start to the day
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Thunder here, very loud, just missing us to our south, hillybilly must've copped it.
About 4.5mm Geoff. About 10 rumbles and a couple of good flashes in the cloud. Classic case of storms peaking over the Southern Dandenongs.

Shame it's all over - almost forgotten what summers storms looked like :x Gone foggy and very humid at home. Few falls to around 5mm around central districts, but most spots look to have got 1 or 2mm.

Fingers crossed the trough toward xmas gives us a repeat (plus more).

BTW we might pick up some showers tomorrow morning with a weak system. Just dribbles at this stage.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Managed 5mm in quick time thanks to that cell not long ago. Very nice way to start the day, finally put my lightning/thunder drought to an end, even if was only brief. Generally as expected, but it did provide more of a punch than I was thinking last night.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Although very small, that trough this morning had an upper connection to the monsoon low in the Indian Ocean which is receiving the NW monsoonal bursts. Models (GFS and Access) didn't pick up the increased instability for central Vic this morning :lighting: and basically since the front arrived yesterday in the bight. I love the monsoon... it just makes things happen and it's currently making mince meat of the models across the country.....more on that in the next thread ;)
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Just over 1mm with the initial band but now I have light steady drizzle which is not heavy enough to show on radar, the garden may get a watering yet.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Only 2 mm here. Better than nothing... just!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Turning into quite a surprise this event. Got 5mm from that band of storms and now had 6.5mm of drizzle. Event up to 11.5mm and still coming down.

Very lucky get. Tanks back to full and garden watered for a few days.

Finished on 12.2mm. That's about double what I expected. Got lucky with the storm (trailed an orange/yellow bit for about 10 minutes), and then the drizzle :D
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Got home to find a stick in my aws which was stopping the bucket from fully tipping. Meant my aws over read :x manual gauge showed 8mm.

Oh well... still the best fall in nearly two weeks.