Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Brief Taste Of Spring 6th-9th October 2016

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Brief Taste Of Spring 6th-9th October

Post by hillybilly »

Just over a mm here :roll:

Yesterday was definitely one to forget. Lots and lots of damage locally. Would guess a few dozen houses badly damaged in the general Dandenong Ranges area. Particularly bad around Upwey to Belgrave which tends to get voriticies in the lee of the Dandenongs. Some completely destroyed :(

Trees I saw down were completely pulled out of the ground with the roots giving way. Can think of a few factors including a combination of wet soils, strongest winds for a long time, a long blow and trees which looked really weakened by the long drought. Many of the big trees up here still don't look healthy.

Today looks showery, and could even get a rumble with a bit of instability.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Yes HB, it really was the perfect storm for tree damage considering conditions of the last 2 years.

Quickly on another subject, I have been monitoring temp levels between Indo and OZ over the last week and I'm noticing another upcoming spike in the surface sea temperature. The next ENSO media release from the BoM is tomorrow.....it will be interesting for what they have to say. The 30 year averages in Spring say the current temps are moving 2 to 3 degrees above average.....one to watch for our Vic weather. Check out the sequences of projected temps for the next week.....those waters are starting to boil.

http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/fore ... forecast=1
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

BRIEF alright
Where is the warm stuff.
I want some warmth now!!!!!

But it Looks like we are stuck in this pattern for a while yet
At this rate it will be summer before it gets warm.
hooroo Chris
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

New thread started for this week in Vic Weather.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

JasmineStorm wrote: Quickly on another subject, I have been monitoring temp levels between Indo and OZ over the last week and I'm noticing another upcoming spike in the surface sea temperature. The next ENSO media release from the BoM is tomorrow.....it will be interesting for what they have to say. The 30 year averages in Spring say the current temps are moving 2 to 3 degrees above average.....one to watch for our Vic weather. Check out the sequences of projected temps for the next week.....those waters are starting to boil.

Which stands in contrast with the ocean temps off Perth and into the Bight where it is decidedly chilly for this time of year. The battle between hot and cold will continue to rage this Spring. Volatile!
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

StratoBendigo wrote:
JasmineStorm wrote: Quickly on another subject, I have been monitoring temp levels between Indo and OZ over the last week and I'm noticing another upcoming spike in the surface sea temperature. The next ENSO media release from the BoM is tomorrow.....it will be interesting for what they have to say. The 30 year averages in Spring say the current temps are moving 2 to 3 degrees above average.....one to watch for our Vic weather. Check out the sequences of projected temps for the next week.....those waters are starting to boil.

Which stands in contrast with the ocean temps off Perth and into the Bight where it is decidedly chilly for this time of year. The battle between hot and cold will continue to rage this Spring. Volatile!

Very good point.... Its starting to look like another volatile surge could be on the way in the next few weeks.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Saw this on FB..

Spoke to a friend from Valley during the week.
Seems it was like some of the winds we experienced in the 80's in Warburton,
Once it gets in the vallley it's a wind tunnel.